Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

Yeah, during the 96 Olympics Miami, Orlando, and Birmingham hosted futbol games but I don't think (what is now called) BofA stadium was complete yet.

Yeah, back in the mid-early 90's when Shaq was playing for the Majic and we went to the finals, the world cup was also in Orlando. The city hall made their dome in to a soccer ball, while most of us in the city thought a basketball would have been more appropriate. But I see no reason why Charlotte couldn't host the world cup, maybe Charlotte has become more well known internationally.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A very interesting read here:

Tales of Two Cities: What Chicago and Charlotte Say About the Future of America

Essentially, what it says about Charlotte is that our rise to greatness is being halted due to the shakeups in the banking industry (particularly the lack of ties to Charlotte future banking leaders will have) and this represents America's inability to continue to produce great cities.

A very interesting read here:

Tales of Two Cities: What Chicago and Charlotte Say About the Future of America

Essentially, what it says about Charlotte is that our rise to greatness is being halted due to the shakeups in the banking industry (particularly the lack of ties to Charlotte future banking leaders will have) and this represents America's inability to continue to produce great cities.

Ouch. That article is just a little bit depressing. Depressing, because much of it is probably true. I've never imagined Charlotte becoming something comparable to New York, but I suppose we can learn from mistakes and keep trying. Sometimes you feel like giving up on something, but that would just be too easy. If only the city council was composed of UrbanPlanet members... :)

I'm an optimist but I think it has at least three things going for it aside from the financial stature.

+ The airport is the busiest in the world for the size of the city.

+ Fairly forward thinking leadership, especially when compared with peer cities.

+ Low-cost of doing business.

Edited by moonshield

^ And this last point really tears at me. Charlotte is successful because of the cheap cost of doing business, but a large part of that cheap cost is due to a relatively loose definition of sustainable growth. This is the single issue that gives me most consternation about how I want Charlotte to grow, though I suppose it is a discussion for a different topic.

^Just read today in WCNC that local experts now think de Molina is the top pick for BofA. If that is true, then his whole argument about Charlotte is based on false pretenses...The HQ of BofA would almost certainly stay in Charlotte. Obviously, we are still suffering from the loss of Wachovia as he notes, however he seems to assume that BofA is leaving, and if it is leaving, the whole city will collapse under the weight of such a loss.

I am not sure who the author is on this blog (it was not working). But his opinion of the fate of the Charlotte area's future....well is his opinion. I actually ran across this article in the THE ATLANTIC from earlier this year which paints Charlotte in a very favorable light, especially in the future as the country emerges from this recession. Me personally I tend to read a variety of opinions relating to long term growth and prosperity. Not someone's blog who is basing his/her assessment on what is happening that particular month or even quarter (basically the same as a Forbes "Best of" listing).

Here is the article that I was mentioning...

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200903/meltdown-geography

Here is an earlier article from late September of 2008 in Time. Of course he was after the collaspe of Wachovia.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1844558,00.html

I think it's quite sad if Charlotte's biggest selling point is " Come here it's cheap because we have no building or green standards, we don't care how we grow just give us the money". There is something to quality of life in regards to planning and our lack of attention to this aspect continues to hurt us now and will in the longterm.

• 4 weeks later...

I caught the end of the NASCAR THEMED edition of The Price Is Right this morning and one of the prizes in the showcase was a trip to Charlotte. It was a trip for 2 for a 3 night stay at a luxury hotel to attend the Coca-Cola 600. The trip also included a celebration with the winner, the opportunity to ride in a race car at up to 180mph and other prizes. The contestant didn't win that showcase but it was still interesting to see Charlotte mentioned on The Price is Right. This episode was likely a re-run but it was the first time I saw it.

Personally I'm not a fan of NASCAR, but I found it nice to see a trip to Charlotte on The Price Is Right.

• Like 1

Not exactly Charlotte...but infoMania on Current TV poked fun at a craigslist posting in Rock Hill from a guy that wants to make a reality show about people that sing commercial songs while skydiving... no joke.

http://current.com/items/91384621_the-future-of-reality-tv.htm

Unfortunately the folks at infoMania missed seeing Larry Sprinkle dress up in drag and do his impersination of Gay Bingo diva Shaleta Hamm.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched The Jay Leno Show tonight on NBC and for the 10 @ 10 segment they interviewed NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson live via satellite from the Westin Hotel in uptown. In case anyone doesn't watch the show, Jay asks the guest 10 random questions. The first question asked was since Jimmie grew up in San Diego but now lives in North Carolina and what's the one thing you miss most about California? His answer was "great mexican food". He said "we don't have that back here in North Carolina". So it sounds like Charlotte, or NC in general, is in need of more mexican restaurants.smile.gif ,

• Like 1

I watched The Jay Leno Show tonight on NBC and for the 10 @ 10 segment they interviewed NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson live via satellite from the Westin Hotel in uptown. In case anyone doesn't watch the show, Jay asks the guest 10 random questions. The first question asked was since Jimmie grew up in San Diego but now lives in North Carolina and what's the one thing you miss most about California? His answer was "great mexican food". He said "we don't have that back here in North Carolina". So it sounds like Charlotte, or NC in general, is in need of more mexican restaurants.smile.gif ,

I agree. Anything but another raw fish restaurant really.

His answer was "great mexican food". He said "we don't have that back here in North Carolina". So it sounds like Charlotte, or NC in general, is in need of more mexican restaurants.

Probably because most of the good Mexican restaurants are in places that people of Johnson's ilk would never venture.

• 2 weeks later...