Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

I think Winter Garden would be a much better location for the "New and Improved" Cheyenne Saloon. I mean isn't that uncreative vision the reason the place closed in the first place? If I were the property manager for CSS, I would be looking for national acts that would go head-to-head with Downtown Disney and CityWalk, but with an authentic urban flair.

A collection of restaurants by Super Chef's or Entertainment Venues like Dave and Busters or even some type of themed eatery would work. From a retailing side, everything should be boutique-quality and high end. That sort of thing would appeal to masses and bring the draw back. Whoever did "Paris" was on to something. I would capitalize on the current celebrity craze.

BTW does anyone know what Glena Hood's deal was back in the day? Why was she so anti-everything? What was her agenda and who did she serve? What's her legacy? In a lot of ways she ruined Church St.

Edited by mrh3

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a rehashed Cheyene Saloon making it in the currently developing urban environment of the new downtown Orlando. I think a lot of the draw for the Cheyene in the 1980's was tourist related. Is there really a market for a country honky tonk western saloon in downtown Orlando now?

What do you all think?

Hee Haw! Being a HUGE country fan, I cant wait to do some two stepping. Besides, bar (music) varieties are a good thing. Now, i just need to find friends that actually like country music!

I wonder if the hotel has anything to do with Paris Hilton.

She needs a place to live, so probably. She was kicked out of Club Paris, spent some time in jail, has her house up for sale...why not?

Regarding the new steak place on Church Street...do we need another steak place which more than likely will have a meal in the $20 range? As a downtown resident, I don't understand why a medium priced restaurant cannot make it. Are there just not enough of us? In the past few years we have seen the fall of Lake Eola Yaught Club (later Center Street Cafe), Too Jays, Central St Market. Although I frequent the higher end restaurants, I don't want to eat there everyday. Why has the Breakfast Club or Caffe Ritazza expanded their hours to the evening? From what I hear Urban Flats is doing well, but they have a very limited menu.

Ellis said Kuhn was traveling and not available for comment. She said Gateway Hospitality paid $24.3 million for the land, currently a parking lot, and a portion of the south side of the Church Street complex, including the ballroom. The ballroom, she said, will be used for conference and banquet space.

so he gets it for 32 million and sells part of it for 24.3....lucky guy..haha

^^

Cheyenne Saloon-- Bob Snow aside, people need to remember that 6 buildings that make up the CSS complex are from the turn of the century. CSS is very historic regardless of the tourist aspect we all remember from the '70's, '80's, and '90's. I don't know the age of Cheyenne Saloon, but I think some of it's furnishings are pretty old. no problem luring locals to it from my point of view. It's just those cheesy giftshops that CSS had within the 3-4 story mall that I think are influencing everyone's perspective of it's revitalization.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a rehashed Cheyene Saloon making it in the currently developing urban environment of the new downtown Orlando. I think a lot of the draw for the Cheyene in the 1980's was tourist related. Is there really a market for a country honky tonk western saloon in downtown Orlando now?

What do you all think?

I think if Manhattan can have a number of country bars, downtown Orlando might not be too urban to support one. A couple of things, Cheyenne Saloon was a concert venue, had it's own TV show, and that was part of the draw for the tourists, as a matter of fact it probably was the way a number of those tourists first heard of Church Street Station. Also, I'm not sure who you work with or meet in this great city, but I think the market for the Cheyenne is all around us. But beyond that, I have no problem hanging out with tourists, the more the merrier.

I liked the idea of the Cheyenne Saloon and the Improv going on downtown, sadly not to be, but perhaps the Improv can find another space. Add another House of Blues style venue, Live Nation if one has to, and in combiation with the Social and the local scene outlets, you got some live entertainment options going on. I have been thinking of the 'Character'of Orlando that is eluding many of us. Perhaps we don't want to admit that Orlando means entertainment because we don't want to be the world's kitchy tourist trap. But if done well, there is nothing wrong with our character being that of fun. How that translates to style and architectural detail, I don't know. But fun for all should be the thing.

So that's what I think.

I think if Manhattan can have a number of country bars, downtown Orlando might not be too urban to support one. A couple of things, Cheyenne Saloon was a concert venue, had it's own TV show, and that was part of the draw for the tourists, as a matter of fact it probably was the way a number of those tourists first heard of Church Street Station. Also, I'm not sure who you work with or meet in this great city, but I think the market for the Cheyenne is all around us. But beyond that, I have no problem hanging out with tourists, the more the merrier.

I think the Cheyenne Saloon would have a broader local appeal if they toned down the "western" theme a little, and had a wider spectrum of musical acts performing there.

Maybe some bluegrass, southern rock, classic rock, country of course, maybe some zydeco, jazz, dixieland.... whatever.

I think the building it self is beautiful enough inside to attract people without quite as much of a "wild west" theme.

I liked the idea of the Cheyenne Saloon and the Improv going on downtown, sadly not to be, but perhaps the Improv can find another space. Add another House of Blues style venue, Live Nation if one has to, and in combiation with the Social and the local scene outlets, you got some live entertainment options going on. I have been thinking of the 'Character'of Orlando that is eluding many of us. Perhaps we don't want to admit that Orlando means entertainment because we don't want to be the world's kitchy tourist trap. But if done well, there is nothing wrong with our character being that of fun. How that translates to style and architectural detail, I don't know. But fun for all should be the thing.

So that's what I think.

Hogs and Heifers doesn't count. We don't even have a country radio station in the New York City.

Edited by mrh3

• 1 month later...

i heard lakelands the place to be these days:)

Checked out Lakeland a couple of weeks ago and it's a pretty nice city and Polk is growing more rapidly than predicted. But went in the Lakeland Square Mall (has never been renovated) and I've never seen so many mullets in my life, men and women! So Lakeland has a long way to go in the "hip" department, totallly different than Tampa and Orlando!

Checked out Lakeland a couple of weeks ago and it's a pretty nice city and Polk is growing more rapidly than predicted. But went in the Lakeland Square Mall (has never been renovated) and I've never seen so many mullets in my life, men and women! So Lakeland has a long way to go in the "hip" department, totallly different than Tampa and Orlando!

They also have a new outdoor mall off the Polk Parkway and Hardman (I believe) and from what I hear it is slowly killing Lakeland Square. Did you go by there by any chance?

Church Street Station to change hands again

Ohio hospitality firm may buy the property

Orlando Business Journal

Hilton Hotels eyes location near Presidential Ballroom

Orlando Business Journal

So what does this mean exactly?

Was it always Kuhn's intention to sell or is he merely selling portions to bring on partners to spread the risk?

I feel like this place is never going to come back