Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

ICSC used to sponsor/promote/be associated with this

Retailer one on one

but I don't see it mentioned anymore. But it's the same idea.

I think ICSC was here last year for a regional conference. I know they were here two years ago.

Uptown is technicaly considered downtown as well.

The Rogers building on Pine and Magnolia has an art exibitor there. Probably to small to do a B and N there. A great spot would be on Orange in Regions PLaza. It is a waste os space and they could build a two stort barnes and noble and do a roof top restaurant.

Also, I was talking to the owner of the Rogers building and there are lofts on the second floor. He tried to live there once but it was too loud at night with AKA lounge blasting music with there windows open all night.

Edited by jack

does anyone know when that Rolling Stone came out? Mid-'90's? wasn't ORL the rave capital back then?

People used to come from Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville to get their ecstacy and acid here. Yes. A lot of my friends at the time were heavy into it. Tripping and Rolling... Trolling as they called it.

I remember that, that's one of the main problems with Orlando, the govt seems to have the idea that if Disney didn't build it then it's not worth it......... I'll always remember when the Orlando club/dance scene made the headlines of Rolling Stone magazine how hard Hood worked to shut the clubs down. It always seemed funny that the city supported Universal CityWalk within the city limits of Orlando, wonder what the city recvd($$) for supporting a nightclub district at Universal. It must have been worth it, that was also the final nail on Church Street's coffin. That may have been for the best, I prefer what is happening on Church St. now as opposed to the old tourist attraction, as long as all the new development is a success. Also "Light Up Orlando" could have turned in to some sort of traditional street party, like Gasparilla, Mardi Gras, Guavaween, where the residents of the city could relax and have a good time once a year and not be herded off in to roped off "beer drinking" areas. And one more complaint....at the time the Majic were in the playoffs/championship the World Cup Soccer thing was going on in Orlando and Mayor Hood wanted to make the dome on top of city hall in to a soccer ball.....hello, local basketball team makes big, mayor doesn't give a crap.......Hopefully it's all been a lesson and we are much more pro-Orlando now and finally ready to do something for the residents of this city. Let the mouse now be in the shadow of Orlando, and Orlando no longer be in the shadow of the mouse!

Glenda Hood reminded me of the woman owner of the Cleveland Indians in the "Major League" movies. It's as if she was actually trying to bend us over and letting us all know about it.

I remember that, that's one of the main problems with Orlando, the govt seems to have the idea that if Disney didn't build it then it's not worth it......... I'll always remember when the Orlando club/dance scene made the headlines of Rolling Stone magazine how hard Hood worked to shut the clubs down. It always seemed funny that the city supported Universal CityWalk within the city limits of Orlando, wonder what the city recvd($$) for supporting a nightclub district at Universal. It must have been worth it, that was also the final nail on Church Street's coffin. That may have been for the best, I prefer what is happening on Church St. now as opposed to the old tourist attraction, as long as all the new development is a success. Also "Light Up Orlando" could have turned in to some sort of traditional street party, like Gasparilla, Mardi Gras, Guavaween, where the residents of the city could relax and have a good time once a year and not be herded off in to roped off "beer drinking" areas. And one more complaint....at the time the Majic were in the playoffs/championship the World Cup Soccer thing was going on in Orlando and Mayor Hood wanted to make the dome on top of city hall in to a soccer ball.....hello, local basketball team makes big, mayor doesn't give a crap.......Hopefully it's all been a lesson and we are much more pro-Orlando now and finally ready to do something for the residents of this city. Let the mouse now be in the shadow of Orlando, and Orlando no longer be in the shadow of the mouse!

The mid to late 90's were Orlando's awkward teenage years. I think its finally maturing. Being an adolescent myself during those days, I remember what an exciting time it was to be growing up there. I always Orlando for what is was is and is going to be. I remember that Rolling Stone article vividly because I was in college in Chicago when it came out and here I was surrounded by all these J. Crew/Abercrombie drones and that article reminded me of "my roots." I think it woud have been August/September 1997.

Glenda Hood definitely did her best to "contain" the city. I think that if you look at the power structure of Orlando politically she only did what she knew to do. A person growing up in Orlando now as an MSA north of 2.5 million people has a fundamentally different view of the world than a person like Hood that grew up in Orlando's more languid agricultural days. Anyway, money talks and BS walks and right now Orlando has plenty of it coming through. The renaissance of Church Street Station will be a fine metaphor of the evolution of the city its inward perception and its global perception.

Lou Pearlman, the Orlando boy-band mogul, was taken into custody by the FBI early this morning in Indonesia.

Authorities in that country expelled Pearlman and then turned him over to U.S. authorities.

"We are aware that he is in the custody of the FBI, I can't comment beyond that," said Steve Cole, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Tampa

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

I'm glad they finally found this guy, I wonder why he was heading to Indonesia. He should have been hiding in a hole somewhere. I'm sure once he gets back stateside he'll be running his mouth just like every other scam artist about how he's innocent.

Also "Light Up Orlando" could have turned in to some sort of traditional street party, like Gasparilla, Mardi Gras, Guavaween, where the residents of the city could relax and have a good time once a year and not be herded off in to roped off "beer drinking" areas.

At the first couple of LUO's you were allowed to stroll around drinking beer. You can thank the morons who couldn't hold their alcohol and got into fights for them changing the rule on that.

And one more complaint....at the time the Majic were in the playoffs/championship the World Cup Soccer thing was going on in Orlando and Mayor Hood wanted to make the dome on top of city hall in to a soccer ball.....hello, local basketball team makes big, mayor doesn't give a crap.......

I worked for the company that put that soccer ball up there. I was involved in the design, patterning and permitting of it as well as the installation. The reason that project happened in the first place was because they got a private company (Addidas) to pay the entire bill in exchange for using their ball and logo instead of a traditional soccer ball pattern as was originally planned. There was talk of re-using the vinyl, painting or dying it orange to look like a basketball and putting it back up. But because nobody was willing to step up and foot the bill, and because a local talk radio station made such a big stink about how the copper roof had some stain marks left after the thing was removed and suggested that the roof had been ruined, there was no enthusiasm to do that again.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

I'm glad they finally found this guy, I wonder why he was heading to Indonesia. He should have been hiding in a hole somewhere. I'm sure once he gets back stateside he'll be running his mouth just like every other scam artist about how he's innocent.

It seems that the latest trend is for sugar daddies to find "boiz" from Western Asia... maybe that's why he was there.

Kuhn plans 4-star hotel for Church St.

Facility would feature 350 guest rooms.

Orlando Business Journal - June 15, 2007by Dan PingStaff Writer

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/sto...2139200^1476605

the revitalization of CSS has advanced way more than this article states. dnk the latest on the hotel, but I thought Kessler was a potential partner.

Edited by JRS1

Seriously that is funny you bring that up ill be 26 soon, and i went to "light up orlando" when i was kid with my dad, it was one of those things that i remember from my childhood, lol, that is no longer here, and could have had good potential to become something more. I also remember the whole hoopla over putting a soccerball on the top of the cityhall building, oh memories. thanks for getting the old forgotten neurons in my brain firing again.

This could fit in with roadways, too, but whatever... here's some pics of the I-4 / Garland / South St. area where Kuhn is planning to put a hotel at CSS.

This pic shows how they plan on putting a large circle in the intersection for beautification like at Washington/Magnolia.

i4garlandtp0.jpg

This pic shows how tall the wall is that is keeping the dirt in under I-4

i4garland2xm5.jpg

And this one shows the empty lot where the hotel will go (if all goes as planned)

i4garland3lx1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not news, sorry... I thought some of you would find this interesting. Anyone know where these buildings are? Bordello in a hotel?

Church Street Station - Church Street - Church Street Station became an Orlando tourist attraction in 1974, but the buildings that make up the complex are much older. Among these buildings include the Bumby Hardware Building (1886), the original Orlando Train Depot (1889), the Leon Building (1920), and the Orlando and Strand Hotels (circa 1920). There are a number of eyewitness accounts involving apparition sightings, unexplained sounds, electrical anomalies, and cold spots. In The Strand Hotel section, The Bordello Room has long been associated with cold spots and the unexplained sounds of a baby crying, thought to bespirits of newborns murdered by their prostitute mothers. Many employees feel a cold chill in this room, and many refuse to enter it alone. Stories of paranormal phenomena abound at Church Street, and include those of various night managers who had the not so coveted privilege of closing the property. Many of these managers are convinced that a particular piano seems to be the focal point of the haunting. They believe this because they have heard music emanating from it when nobody was playing it! Some of these employees vacated the property immediately and never returned. Employees and guests alike have seen the apparition of a man in a top hat and long coat roaming the halls outside the banquet rooms. He also has been seen playing the infamous piano, and is often seen in a mirror in the hallway leading to the Bordello Room.

Not news, sorry... I thought some of you would find this interesting. Anyone know where these buildings are? Bordello in a hotel?

Church Street Station - Church Street - Church Street Station became an Orlando tourist attraction in 1974, but the buildings that make up the complex are much older. Among these buildings include the Bumby Hardware Building (1886), the original Orlando Train Depot (1889), the Leon Building (1920), and the Orlando and Strand Hotels (circa 1920). There are a number of eyewitness accounts involving apparition sightings, unexplained sounds, electrical anomalies, and cold spots. In The Strand Hotel section, The Bordello Room has long been associated with cold spots and the unexplained sounds of a baby crying, thought to bespirits of newborns murdered by their prostitute mothers. Many employees feel a cold chill in this room, and many refuse to enter it alone. Stories of paranormal phenomena abound at Church Street, and include those of various night managers who had the not so coveted privilege of closing the property. Many of these managers are convinced that a particular piano seems to be the focal point of the haunting. They believe this because they have heard music emanating from it when nobody was playing it! Some of these employees vacated the property immediately and never returned. Employees and guests alike have seen the apparition of a man in a top hat and long coat roaming the halls outside the banquet rooms. He also has been seen playing the infamous piano, and is often seen in a mirror in the hallway leading to the Bordello Room.

no... that is news. all this time I was operating under the misconception that CCS wasn't historic (save the depot), when in fact the parts of it's sum are historic. glad you posted it. as for the ghost sightings, they should do an episode of Ghost Hunters there. how cool would that be...

• 3 weeks later...