Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

This location is too visible for such trash. Do not forget that something as offensive, cheap and hulking as this is going to forever distort the views of City Hall and everything else around it. Up until this point, the Suntrust cluster has been lucky enough to have a group of buildings that (for better or worse) speak in a common language and work well together. Now, we get something that not only clashes with EVERYTHING around it (where does the inspiration for this design come from?), but even more offensive, is completely uninspired.

It is always one step forward, two steps back in Orlando.

^_^

post-1823-1197993809_thumb.jpg

Edited by Go Gators

Maybe the model should have utilized Bentleys and Rolls Royces instead of a tour bus.

Without even seeing the north face of this building, I can bet that it is completely flat and dull. The entrance on the earlier model looked "classier" in comparison and was definitely pedestrian friendly. The bottom of this building looks like something down at Disney. Lots of space for 1 or 2 tour busses to drop off park weary tourists. The earlier one had room for more trees. I guess the idea of being pedestrian friendly doesn't matter since they are so close to I-4.

Wasn't there talk of Hilton buying the train station on the east side and incorporating the train station as part of their hotel?

Density can be achieved in many ways--quality cannot, and it is hardly subjective.

If this building is cut from limestone (hell i'd even take red brick), with proper setbacks and cornices (rather simple really), I would have no objection to this building. Unfortunately, Orlando gets yet another building that will probably, if we are lucky, get precast stone in a cheesy faux-med revival style.

What I want is for Orlando to grow up, it seems as though many people here just want to build, build, build, as if that is some testament to greatness.

This has nothing to do with I-4.

It seems like every building that gets built is only better then the empy lot that it replaces (as said by most forumers here). Thats not a reason to love it. Orlando, though a fine place is certainly no Boston. But I do agree. As much as I'd like to see something that can impact a city for the future, it is cost effective and may actually get built. So my final verdict is "its better then the empty lot it replaces".

I'm not overly impressed with the design but I like it. Either way, I will take any hotels willing to come downtown because they bring in more consumers to existing business and hopefully attract new ones. I think this hotel and TT's guests will present good potential draws for more restaraunts and retail downtown.

A little better

post-4107-1197930973_thumb.jpg

... I like it. it's not necessarily med. revival... it looks like post modern-ish or whatever; I dig it. I hope it covers up a good chunk of Suntrust. THis should rival the heights of Citrus Center/ Amsouth/ Plaza South/ Waverly.

this could really add a new extremely visible and urban building heading EB on I-4 that works for the lot it's on. Of course it will be extremely dramatic b/c of it's proximity to I-4 and the new arena-- this will be the new host hotel for the arena.

Personally, I wouldn't get to caught up in that rendering. A whole lot has, and will continue to change.

As far as who breaks ground first, its a toss up. On one hand you have TT which is further along in both brand negotiation and design. On the other hand the Hilton has to open up on or before the tip-off of the new arena (2009-2010 season?) We'll see.

As far as who breaks ground first, its a toss up. On one hand you have TT which is further along in both brand negotiation and design. On the other hand the Hilton has to open up on or before the tip-off of the new arena (2009-2010 season?) We'll see.

^ Just curious as to why.

Yesterday they poly-urathaned the bricks on the south side of Church, took down the paper covering the old Two Jays site, looks like retail going in, probably Cheyenne merchandise, and I understand Brick and Fire will be open this weekend.

it's not going to be buffalo trader's co with five-cent candy sticks, is it? :wub:

I just read in the Watermark Magazine that a Hamburger Mary's Rest will be opening up on the old Too Jay's spot in April 08.. anybody have the inside track?

if so, that is a really odd place for Hamburger Mary's. all the other ones out here on the west coast are the the gaytto and even some of those haven't been able to survive. i just don't see the tourists and mainstream suburbanites who will be visiting church st. feeling comfortable having dinner during drag queen bingo.

that being said, orlando's gay scene is so sporadic right now that bring a hamburger mary's in is a great idea. but there is no way a gay neighborhood right downtown is going to happen!

Brick and Fire is having their grand opening tonight.

I was there my friends. decent food... opening night kinks of course; buddies from Chicago went with and were impressed with the historic look of the place (old Absinthe); good atmosphere; live band; wine cellar with bar as well. good stuff.

Well it's damned if you do; it's damned if you don't.

Everyone praises density .... "we want density." Then we start to get it and whoa ... "you're blocking the view."

Why does everyone think that the whole point of downtown is to give people something to look at as they wiz past on I-4?

I totally agree, a city isn't built on the basis of the view from an interstate. Almost every building in Manhattan or Houston or Atlanta, etc blocks the view of some other building. But you can see the other building when you are walking around the city actually participating in the vibrancy and activity in of the city. Hello, the skyline of a city is made up of whatever land is available for sale for developers no matter what size structure they build. Everyone wants Orlando's new tallest, but what if it blocks the view of Suntrust or 55 West? Then we don't want a new tallest in that case? It makes absolutely no sense. And then everyone says it's not about tall, it's about density, so when density starts to happen, there's always something wrong with the new buildings, blocking this, covering that, looks cheap, looks to expensive, messes up the view from I-4, etc. If folks from out of town are driving through, who's to say that they might think, Hey let's get off here and walk around this city and check it out, instead of a 30 second view of Suntrust from the highway. I-4 being right in the middle of the city actually makes the buildings look shorter because of their closeness to the highway. If I-4 followed the path of OBT in the downtown area the city would appear much larger from the elevated expressway. By the way, "Density" pretty much means blocking the view.