Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

29 minutes ago, GoingUptown said:

And a bonus shot of them dismantling the temporary construction elevator!

E75F41F5-4D26-4F0E-9F9F-4884C4089563.jpeg

Sorry, it’s the crane being dismantled, not the elevator.  That’s still intact. 

26 minutes ago, t_money said:

This concrete is killing me.  Already crap hanging out of joints and discolored.  Looks terrible.

That entrance looks like an after thought.  "Ya just put an awning over it, it'll be fine"

I’m with you on the concrete already looking ... unfinished.  Maybe it is?  Not sure.  I do see what you mean. 

• Like 1

I generally like the building, I agree when you get up close though you begin to notice a few cost cutting measures here and there. I notice with modern construction it always seems like the first few years are a series of touch up jobs. My old high school was built and completed in 2010, having gone back to visit recently (nine years later, lord I feel old) it seems in better condition than it was new. I think that is what will happen with this building. Panel gaps, blemishes, etc will be touched up over time. Personally seems like it would be more costly over the long term, but I'm not an expert on this. 

In regards to the deck, there's something about a low slung, sleek deck like that which makes me, not necessarily "like" it, but appreciate it more that a deck with large, gaping floor spaces. I feel like cars will not be visible in the deck, and the blank surface leaves open the possibility for future decorative elements, I do have my concerns the concrete wont age well with exposure to pollutants and weather, but we shall see. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-Rob said:

I am thinking similar to BOAT, this tower will look fantastic when the hat is installed and it is lit up at night.  Hopefully they install the hat soon, so they can test out the Panthers blue before the playoffs roll around.

Ok. Yeah I guess I should hold judgment until the very end. So far it seems sort of underwhelming since it’s such a squared/rectangular shape.

• Like 1

I think buildings can never live up to their renderings given the glowing lighting that is used.   I like the building, but given that it got docked to 26 floors, it was always setup  to disappoint among all the taller structures surrounding it.  I think the design is solid, and surely isn't mockable in its on-the-nose neoclassicism like Legacy Union's BoA Tower, but I think it easily fades to the backdrop.  The original taller, angular design would have been far more eye catching and dominant in the area, but we got what we got.   

Now Duke Energy's new tower going in next door for almost double the height, and when whatever goes in to Legacy Union at Stonewall and Tryon, it is sure to overshadow Ally even more. 

58 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Now that we know you are a Harley guy, I am questioning every drive by photo from here out.   If KJ had a camera in one hand, and a box of donuts in the other, how did he keep the Harley on the road?

Perhaps I should attach a GoPro to my helmet or better yet when walking around uptown or Southend a GoPro atop my In N Out Burger hat. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bruco72 said:

Anyone else hearing rumors that this building will be 100% leased well, well in advance of opening..... as in it basically already is pending some final paperwork 

Last I heard it was 82% preleased and I can surely think it could be 100% before opening.  anyone heard about the retail tenants?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...