Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

In other news I was in Atlanta this morning saw the urban format QuikTrip in Midtown. I hope we get one of these uptown somewhere same low prices but no gas pumps. Since we can't talk about any goings on on this block in Charlotte here is the Atlanta skyline from yesterday. 

DSCN4046.JPG

DSCN3979.JPG

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

Love Atlanta, but it's downtown skyline hasn't changed in decades.

Correct Midtown is really changing and nothing like the differences we have here in Charlotte with the Lincoln Harris BOAT, new 300 S Tryon and 615 S College towers and 2 more hush hush towers that are maybe who knows in the works. Both on South Tryon. 

• Like 2

I like Atlanta's burbs way better than Charlotte's.

The houses are much nicer.

The geography is better since it's much hillier.  

The weather is better since it's usually five to ten degrees warmer on any given winter day.

Atl also is more international, has WAY better international air service, and MUCH better shopping for whatever that's worth.

That being said, Charlotte is a much better city in my opinion.  I like Atlanta, but for a metro of its size, Atlanta pales in comparison to other new cities like Seattle, Dallas, and Houston.

Charlotte's downtown seems to have learned from Atlanta's mistakes and is becoming denser and more urban.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Several years ago Forbes Magazine did a survey on global standard-of-living which deemed that the suburban Atlantan enjoyed the best standard-of-living in the world.

as a former resident of Atlanta this made me LOL

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dale said:

Several years ago Forbes Magazine did a survey on global standard-of-living which deemed that the suburban Atlantan enjoyed the best standard-of-living in the world.

Honestly, that doesn't surprise me.  Bukhead's mansions are out of control, and they're a few miles from amazing stores, etc.

The city of Atlanta is pretty lame though for a metro of over 5m and one that has a lot of F500 companies.  Seattle, for example, blows it out of the water.

Edited by SydneyCarton

37 minutes ago, Dale said:

Bang for the buck. See what a million gets you in LA. In fact, I've hosted friends from LA who were slack-jawed when we drove the Queen's Road Loop.

yup, there is no doubt the mcmansions are cheap in Cobb county but they come at the cost of soul-crushing traffic, mindless sprawl and the total absence of any type of community focus. Having said that the strip clubs are good and lunch can be an event:

06-The-Big-Chicken-in-Marietta500.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kermit said:

yup, there is no doubt the mcmansions are cheap in Cobb county but they come at the cost of soul-crushing traffic, mindless sprawl and the total absence of any type of community focus. Having said that the strip clubs are good and lunch can be an event:

06-The-Big-Chicken-in-Marietta500.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Not to perpetuate the off topic posts, but I love the famous "big chicken."

I would say Stay Tuned.  This site evidently has the attention of more than just a few people who have an interest in development in Charlotte. I have been on this site for less than 2 years I would say most rumors mentioned are more true than not. Many times we make news and others report it. Stay tuned something BIG is about to happen on this vacant lot I truly believe. 

PS I have been to the Big Chicken in Marietta before its more recent renovation. It is was a local landmark and people gave directions by it. Turn left at the Big Chicken etc

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mpretori said:

I would have hoped Crescent or JLL would have put out some sort of statement before. The common joe outside this forum probably thinks it's a dead project. It's even off of google maps now! 

Unless the common man has an office of 100 people ready for new space and can afford Class AA lease rates, they honestly don't need to care about the common man.

8 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

At what point should posts on an internet forum about real estate development scoops and rumors, be removed for having rumors and speculation? I think it defeats the purpose of the board. Its shouldn't be this boards responsibility to moderate hearsay about a project who can barely get off the ground (which hasn't even happened yet). If the tower falls apart because of this board, it wasn't strong enough of a project to be built anyway. Really infuriating. 

What you are seeing is three years of hard work by Crescent that they don't want getting screwed up, by a rumor that isn't 100% correct. They went at it really hot and heavy to begin, and it bit them in the ass, losing Duke Energy to Childress Klein and their own tower. Crescent feels that the worst case scenario is that the company in question hears incorrect information about leasing and pulls their deal, there are other spaces in Charlotte that can offer the company what they need. There are other developers out there that could deliver a tower just as quickly as crescent, Lincoln Harris has a second 500k sq foot office tower planned for their site. Its not the the tower isn't strong enough, theres just more competition out there. A half dozen developers would die for a half a milion sq foot anchor to fall into their lap. 

Not to mention, the purpose of this board is not 100% to scoop press releases, UP is more or less a forum for driving quality in the built environment, not scooping a press release.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Posting speculation about the built environment, and this project, isn't scooping a press release. It's driving quality built environment as much as any other way possible. 

Once again if we are moderating these boards like North Korean twitter in order to benefit a CORPORATION, I think the purpose of driving quality, critique and transparent conversation is VIOLATED. The entire ethos of this board is to have free and honest speculation. Might as well take the conversation somewhere else. Such a shame and sham. 

well, hopefully it'll be worth the wait to get the final word on the project. I'm just passing along what i was told. There was a huge fuss about the post at both Crescent and JLL. Speaking that we were the ones to scoop Tryon Place when it first came out. 

Edited by Guest

54 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Unless the common man has an office of 100 people ready for new space and can afford Class AA lease rates, they honestly don't need to care about the common man.

What you are seeing is three years of hard work by Crescent that they don't want getting screwed up, by a rumor that isn't 100% correct. They went at it really hot and heavy to begin, and it bit them in the ass, losing Duke Energy to Childress Klein and their own tower. Crescent feels that the worst case scenario is that the company in question hears incorrect information about leasing and pulls their deal, there are other spaces in Charlotte that can offer the company what they need. There are other developers out there that could deliver a tower just as quickly as crescent, Lincoln Harris has a second 500k sq foot office tower planned for their site. Its not the the tower isn't strong enough, theres just more competition out there. A half dozen developers would die for a half a milion sq foot anchor to fall into their lap. 

Not to mention, the purpose of this board is not 100% to scoop press releases, UP is more or less a forum for driving quality in the built environment, not scooping a press release.

A company should stand with conviction in their decisions. If a company is making decisions off of a forum, then that company isn't a reliable company.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I don't feel like this will be so transformative as first described. I think it'll be as transformative as 300 South Tryon. Solid, great project. Not terrible at the base, but not earth shattering or revolutionary 

I can't decide if that statement is fair or not. The scope/sq footage of the projects might end up being similar. (it should be 75k+ sq feet larger in office, and 100 rooms larger for hotel, and maybe include residential somehow)
However, the biggest difference is Tryon Place will have a lobby 1/10th the size of 300 South Tryon, all of that given away to retail. There will be a very nice amount of retail, hopefully their LOIs are still intact after 3 years. There will be a lot of public space

This will be one of the closest projects to bridging the gap between SouthEnd and Uptown, which is HUGE and transformational.

Looking back, honestly, it was probably shortsighted for us to put so much faith in this project, Crescent's commercial track record was virtually nonexistent in 2014. That said, I for one still have a lot of faith in the project, and I think it'll be a big time step for the South Tryon are. 

Hopefully they were able to stick some residential in there as desired, then It'll truly be as transformative. 4 use mixed use in a fairly small parcel, that used to be a autobody shop, sounds transformative to me.