Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Well, the Burger Kings framing is already half up by now. Fast food restaurants go up fast, especially the suburban standard we seem to be getting in our urban locations.

^ this quote was just one page back, CLTNative. :).

Fast food restaurants go up faster than weeds, so no worries. It is being built on the other side of the same block, facing 4th (toward that little strip mall with the Subdude, etc).

I haven't been by in a little while, so it might be nearing completion of the particle board box (Hi-qual).

I drove by on Friday....the walls are framed and the particle board is up....no indication yet on what the roof-line will look like....it's much worse than the 2-story quasi-urban store that was originally planned. I would assume BK is to blame more than the developers, but I'm not sure.

The Chickfila on South looks like it is starting to have a decent shape, but really all of them are just completely disinterested in the walking customer. They want an easy in and out for someone driving to get their 4000 calorie meal.

(Although, I confess it is hard to pass up when hungover).

Thanks guys! I did see the framing, but didnt realize it was the BK. It was rather non-descript when I saw it. I totally agree about these fast food eye-sores. The area is littered with new developments and the 90's prototype restaurant, case in point, Wendy's Midtown, Arby's Midtown, Bojangles Midtown (which has a huge parking lot!!) and now another BK. I wish they would incorporate into the bases of some other projects. I like the Bojangles squeezed in the Overcash Building at CP. Notice how they had to change that horriblly gaudy sign.

Thanks guys! I did see the framing, but didnt realize it was the BK. It was rather non-descript when I saw it. I totally agree about these fast food eye-sores. The area is littered with new developments and the 90's prototype restaurant, case in point, Wendy's Midtown, Arby's Midtown, Bojangles Midtown (which has a huge parking lot!!) and now another BK. I wish they would incorporate into the bases of some other projects. I like the Bojangles squeezed in the Overcash Building at CP. Notice how they had to change that horriblly gaudy sign.

have y'all seen the new Bojangle's across SouthPark in Dee Dee's development. It doesn't even look remotely like a Bojangle's from the exterior.

I think it would have been nice if another locally owned store had replaced Anderson's but Starbucks does do a good job of generating sidewalk traffic and Liz Ave needs a lot more so I think it's a plus overall. I know Starbucks often places stores close together but this usually occurs in much larger cities, the 7th St. Starbucks already covers the same territory it seems to me. Also, Customshop seems to be moving along quite well and the 24hr Fitness will be a good source of activity. It looks like Elizabeth Ave is going to be a fun street with a wide variety of retail options in the next few years. I just wish Liz was longer....

Edited by voyager12

The Starbucks on 7th does pretty well, so I'd be surprised to see it closed. They were full at 11:00 last night when I drove by.

I have a feeling that the Elizabeth site will benefit from hospital traffic. Hospital cafeterias get old pretty fast, so having a coffee shop within reasonable walking distance will be nice.

know Starbucks often places stores close together but this usually occurs in much larger citieslonger....

Actually there are five Starbucks inside of the loop Uptown. This is all in an 1.5 by 1.5 mile area. However, the main reason for this is due simply to provide some caffinated pleasures to the worker ants Uptown. Outside of the Uptown area I have to agree that Starbucks usually limits such a high concentrartion of shops in a limited area unless it is a MUCH larger city.

A2

Edited by A2

I think it would have been nice if another locally owned store had replaced Anderson's but Starbucks does do a good job of generating sidewalk traffic and Liz Ave needs a lot more so I think it's a plus overall. I know Starbucks often places stores close together but this usually occurs in much larger cities, the 7th St. Starbucks already covers the same territory it seems to me. Also, Customshop seems to be moving along quite well and the 24hr Fitness will be a good source of activity. It looks like Elizabeth Ave is going to be a fun street with a wide variety of retail options in the next few years. I just wish Liz was longer....

I walk to the 7th St. Starbucks, which is two blocks from my house. No way I'd walk to the Elizabeth Ave Starbucks. Don't forget that the Elizabeth Ave Starbucks will get a lot of student and hospital business (CPCC & Presby). The scenario is the same with CPCC & Presby... folks would walk all the way to 7th Street Starbucks from those locations.

I do think that you're right about Elizabeth Ave transforming into a fun street with a wide variety of retail options & street traffic.

On the same street there is a great little local coffee shop/bar called sk net cafe that starbucks will probably run out of business.

wow you're right. SK Netcafe is a good place, I'd hate to see it go because of Starbucks, but with that announcement they're probably shaking in their boots unless they have a plan.