IKEA's Charlotte Store

monsoon

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, a lot of "new" news about the changes in the site plan now. Apparently Crescent has at least taken some opposition to its original site plan to heart.

"There will be no big-box retail stores (I'm assuming besides IKEA and SuperWalmart,)... Larger retail buildings would back up to I-85 in the same area, with a 100-foot buffer along the interstate."

Also, a bit of a refresher to me was that they are not renaming City Blvd into IKEA Blvd but instead giving that name to the new roadway being built through this development parallel to N Tryon. This is good news to me as I was dreading another road in Charlotte having three names.

Apparently work on extending City Blvd to 29 has already started. I was unaware of this progress.

They will have a community meeting on the new site plan on Tuesday.

Article on meeting

I noticed today that they have graded what appears to be the University City connector and have begun digging a huge hole that I assume would be a tunnel to go under Tryon to hook up with 49. No new work on the actual Ikea site was visible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The observer had a rather informative article in the paper on Sunday about this development.

One item of note was that after realignment, the entire road (including City Blvd) will officially be known as University City Blvd, rather than two separate names. I know a few people on here had mentioned that to be the case before, but I had never seen anything "official" so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Siteplan_2.jpg

I like this site plan better as it does incorporate more buildings along IKEA Blvd hiding a lot of the parking for the larger stores behind. This will at least be an improvement over the state of every other UC shopping center.

Also, a tad further up McCullough Dr there is another "high-end" mixed-use residential complex being constructed with hotels, retail, and restaurants called The Carlisle at University Center. Article. I still haven't been able to find a site plan for this project, but I don't imagine it will be adding any new connectivity to the area like the Belgate project. Between these two developments and the existing town center, my new place will hopefully be centrally located even though right now it seems as if I'm in the outskirts. Sure the traffic will increase, but I plan on walking anyway. However, seeing that Belgate will be adding essentially five new connections to the street grid, a lot of this traffic should be absorbed by N Tryon, UCB, and I-85 instead of McCullough.

On a related note, I noticed construction has begun on the road reallignments / intersection with Tryon and UC Blvd. Cones are set up and diggers and construction vehicles are on the site.

I wonder how they plan to connect the multi-family homes on the south side of the UC Blvd in terms of being pedestrian friendly. UCBlvd is a hellish road to cross by foot, and being that close to 85 indicates that there will be a lot of traffic on it... a lot of fast moving traffic. That should be a 4 lane road (2 lanes on each side). Will there be a light there? That would be a close light to the main light where N Tryon and U City Blvd intersection is. Ugh- wish this was built better with the light rail in mind and that all of the parking was along 85, with the majority of the buildings and hotels (maybe not the IKEA) built along the light rail line, all connected with sidewalks.

BTW- you can see where the dreaded Wal-Mart is going. Ugh...

One more edit: Those Carlisle apts I've seen stuff about, it will just be a standard Apt. Complex.

In one regard, I am glad the Walmart will not directly be part of this development as it is in University Place. But there?!? Someone please shoot me! I can't believe the city approved a Walmart along the proposed rail corridor. That's just a bad idea no matter how you look at it.

Actually, a Wal-Mart would be a huge amenity to have along a rail corridor. What would suck, though, would be if the Wal-Mart were set back 300 feet from the street behind a 1,000 space parking lot. Put an entrance to the street and the parking on top and actually you're not doing so bad. I guess I wouldn't get my hopes up though. The only instance I know of where Wal-Mart tried to fit into a TOD is in Englewood, Colorado, and there they just built a regular old parking lot...

Actually, a Wal-Mart would be a huge amenity to have along a rail corridor. What would suck, though, would be if the Wal-Mart were set back 300 feet from the street behind a 1,000 space parking lot. Put an entrance to the street and the parking on top and actually you're not doing so bad. I guess I wouldn't get my hopes up though. The only instance I know of where Wal-Mart tried to fit into a TOD is in Englewood, Colorado, and there they just built a regular old parking lot...

Walmart has been building a lot of "village" style super-centers lately (See: Wilkinson Blvd. store, Conover store, etc.). The major difference is the facade is made to look like many small buildings, and not one huge box in the middle of a sea of concrete. It's a minor concession, but it will help with the aesthetic. - we're off topic.

Archived