IKEA's Charlotte Store

monsoon

Walmart has been building a lot of "village" style super-centers lately (See: Wilkinson Blvd. store, Conover store, etc.). The major difference is the facade is made to look like many small buildings, and not one huge box in the middle of a sea of concrete. It's a minor concession, but it will help with the aesthetic. - we're off topic.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the key to this project will be where the parking will be in location to the retail, etc. So far the site plans that I have seen have not been friendly to the 750 million dollar light rail investment that has included a station at the footsteps of this project. It would be a miracle if a Wal-Mart could be the one that turns this observation and critique around.

The best part is how they followed the University City Area Plan, which was developed with public input, and signed off on by the UC Business Association. I mean, the differences between that and this are negligible.

ucap2.jpg

And of course by differences I mean similarities, and by negligible I mean virtually non-existant. Its ok though, because I'm ready for some cheap, do it Swedish furniture (some assembly required).

When was that plan put together? It seems to me that the similarities are a result of an update of the street plan reflecting Crescent's plans and not vice versa. I think an older version of the plan had more of a grid on that land, but I don't follow it closely enough to be sure.

Seems interesting in that pdf plan that they are proposing a bridge over 85 at what I'm assuming is Shopping Center Dr. This is something University really needs but I doubt will actually happen as it clearly states "to be abandoned if determined the flyover is not possible." Even with taxpayer money, I give this :thumbsup::thumbsup:! University needs more roadways connecting each side of 85 so if a developer is proposing this, I say run with it. It also says that Brookside Ln and Shopping Center Dr, an extension of one road and another new road connecting the project to N Tryon, will be developed in future by a separate developer. However, this plan has information about their grading. I wonder if this is part of an agreement Walmart has with the city as these roads would run along their property.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I honestly don't understand the announced Spring 09' opening when this project is so far along already. I can't foresee this taking another 9 months to get the finishing touches in place. Then again, I've never watched an IKEA go up, is there something I'm missing?

I honestly don't understand the announced Spring 09' opening when this project is so far along already. I can't foresee this taking another 9 months to get the finishing touches in place. Then again, I've never watched an IKEA go up, is there something I'm missing?

The building's assembly instructions are in Sweedish and only diagrammed in pictures; and the tool of choice is a little silver allen wrench.

allen-wrench-4112.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You should write for Leno!

to Aussieluke: There is much more to building any building than the steel framing, especially on a 2 story 400,000 sq foot store, and its a couple square miles of surface lot parking. Not to mention the infastructure and roads for the rest of the complex needs to be done. There are quite a few steps between steel framing and cladding. You need to fire proof everything, which takes a good chunk of time and do a couple hundred other things.

• 1 month later...

When was that plan put together? It seems to me that the similarities are a result of an update of the street plan reflecting Crescent's plans and not vice versa. I think an older version of the plan had more of a grid on that land, but I don't follow it closely enough to be sure.

You can see IKEA very clearly from N Tryon now. They have cleared the land out for the entire development along with the Walmart development, a neighboring development next to the future Walmart, and work on the future City/UCity Blvd and Tryon intersection looks to be done with the clearing stage, although I'm not sure how they are going to reconfigure traffic while they rework the intersection. Anybody heard any news on that? While not directly on topic, it is related to this thread, so I figured I'd ask here.

• 2 months later...

Here is the newest version of the Belgate siteplan.

Siteplan2.png

IKEA will begin training full time associates in December so it looks as though the Spring 09 opening was correct.

I haven't noticed the new road at the northern end of this map connecting to McCullough being constructed yet. The Shopping Center Dr extension looks to be under construction alongside the Walmart construction. Is the connector road to McCullough a part of a later phase or has work just not commenced yet? I was hoping this complex, or at the least the infrastructure, would be built all at one time. And this last little leg is critical to improving traffic patterns and reducing IKEA's impact on N. Tryon. I figured those of you with better permit knowledge than I would know.

I would assume the current state of the economy won't allow much for the retail outlets to be built yet but there is still a need for higher density housing and hotels in University regardless. So I hope they will at least continue with those portions of the complex and not leave IKEA all by its lonesome.

Andy, unfortunately this isn't a "final" siteplan. Not much was changed between this and the last one outside of perhaps some building placement and a little shading here and there :dontknow: They did cleverly name the file "siteplan2" though. Figured I'd post the newest one since it had not been posted on here yet even though little had changed. The point was more to refresh the layout to everybody so as to ask about the northern leg of the road in question.

The density I had mentioned was because I had read before that the apartment complex in this development was supposed to be designed as a more dense, pedestrian friendly style. I am hoping that the current "multifamily site" is just a placeholder for something much nicer and better designed.

The density I had mentioned was because I had read before that the apartment complex in this development was supposed to be designed as a more dense, pedestrian friendly style. I am hoping that the current "multifamily site" is just a placeholder for something much nicer and better designed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived