Statesboro Development News

andremurra

Target: I have a new "source" haha - yes another one. He/She just recently left his/her job with Target and is now a top official with Banana Republic. I asked him/her about the Target rumor, and although he/she said he/she had not heard anything about Statesboro getting a Target, he/she did say that Target is currently trying to build as many new stores as possible over the next two years and get into as many markets as possible. Recently Target completed a trial run in the United States and has "proven" to be a strong competitor to Walmart, so now that they have all this data supporting this claim, they have decided to enter as many markets as possible, so the Target rumor is probably true, if not sooner.

Old Navy: My source also told me that Old Navy has had its eyes on Statesboro for a long time. They are currently planning to open a New Concept store in Statesboro around 2012. I know, it sounds lame. But thought I would throw that out there. Old Navy has a new leader and she is planning a prototype, and trying to give Old Navy a new image as a whole. Statesboro will be one of the prototype testing markets. He/She said that projections for GSU's enrollment are around 30,000 for 2012 and that is why they are planning to enter the market around that time.

GSU has topped 17,000 students. The official number has not been released yet, but the President announced this at the Fall Convocation. In addition to this, GSU's 100th academic school year is underway with the highest average SAT scores in the schools history (over 1100, but official number not released yet), and for the first time, GSU's freshmen-sophomore retention rate has supassed the 80th percentile!!! Today it was also announced that during the fiscal year 2006-2007, the Economic Impact of Georgia Southern University on the surrounding region (nine counties) topped $719,233,212. (up 9% from last fiscal year's $653,440,929). GSU was responsible for more than 10,300 jobs. Thats nearly $2-million a day!!!! http://news.georgiasouthern.edu/press-release.php?nid=156

Edited by andremurra

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, you guys seem to get really really excited about Wal-Marts and Targets. Just be careful...Wal-Marts do have side effects..i.e. suburban sprawl and traffic. I am excited about how you guys have preserved your downtown area. The height restrictions could be raised slightly though i.m.o. I also understand that you guy have a new urban planner...any news about he or she?

When you don't have a Target it's easy to get excited about the prospect of one coming to town. It would be a refreshing change from Wal-Mart. I don't understand the people in town who get excited about the thought of a second Wal-Mart or our first Sam's Club.

The downtown is one of the things that drew me here. Most of the buildings look good and most of the storefronts are rented. The city does not currently have downtown design guidelines and needs to put them in place before someone screws up a building. Statesboro has been lucky so far.

I'm not aware of a new planner in town. The guys heading up both the city and county planning efforts have been here for a couple years or more. The city is currently advertising two planner positions. I think the county is up to full staff.

When you don't have a Target it's easy to get excited about the prospect of one coming to town. It would be a refreshing change from Wal-Mart. I don't understand the people in town who get excited about the thought of a second Wal-Mart or our first Sam's Club.

The downtown is one of the things that drew me here. Most of the buildings look good and most of the storefronts are rented. The city does not currently have downtown design guidelines and needs to put them in place before someone screws up a building. Statesboro has been lucky so far.

I'm not aware of a new planner in town. The guys heading up both the city and county planning efforts have been here for a couple years or more. The city is currently advertising two planner positions. I think the county is up to full staff.

• 2 months later...

The BB&T branch has been in the works for a while. I heard they have a deal with Hull-Story to vacate the mall branch when the new one is built. It seems odd they would leave what would seem to be a very good location. But when H-S is involved, odd things sometimes happen.

The other new bank, I believe it is Citizen's, is expected to begin work soon on its branch at Brannen and the Bypass -- next to Chili's which opened Monday.

The BB&T branch has been in the works for a while. I heard they have a deal with Hull-Story to vacate the mall branch when the new one is built. It seems odd they would leave what would seem to be a very good location. But when H-S is involved, odd things sometimes happen.
Edited by MorganA15

Thats what I was thinking Morgan, because the SMall lost over 300 parking spaces with starbucks down to around 1,400 parking spaces, and the city told them they had to figure out a solution to add more parking before they could expand. Not that I like the idea of the SMall expanding - I would prefer a new Mall altogether and maybe they could burn this one down. I dont want to see Statesboro turn into a huge shopping center city, with no real mall, but it looks like its going to turn into a Griffin, GA if were not careful. Who knows though maybe Simon will notice Statesboro and enter the market one glad morning.

Well it seems that the Statesboro forum has been struggling this season, but I think that has a lot to do with people being extremely busy with school and work. I am so excited about some of the things that are happening and are soon to occur in Statesboro and on the Georgia Southern campus. I have a lot to report about, so expect a huge post as soon as finals are over!! =)

andre, I think you are right about folks being busy. It's certainly true for me.

Last week the city planning commission considered a rezoning request for the 66 acres on the east side of Highway 67, south of the bypass. It will still be a mixture of commercial and multifamily residential. This is just a request to move the commercial and multifamily areas around on the property. The developer who was behind the annexation and rezoning of that property about two years ago backed out of the deal before the annexation was complete, but the property owners moved ahead hoping it would help sell it. Heard Development out of Atlanta is now involved. I don't know anything about the company. The folks with the city said they have not been given a plan for the proposed development yet.

Also on the agenda was a variance for wall signs at Statesboro Crossing. Some of the larger tennants want signs a little larger than what the city allows. I saw some preliminary work being done on the site last week. I heard they were ready to bring in the big equipment any time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats exciting Pete - I was wondering what ever happened to that "deal" for Fair Road - its a beautiful piece of property with lots of potential, especially the whole hill thing, it would be nice to see businesses or multi-family units lined down the hill or something like that. I cant seem to find anything on Heard Development, LLC. either except that they are based out of Marietta. Im so excited about getting done with this semester though - it has been crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, at City Council on Tuesday, the water and sewer people were there talking about things that they have completed and are currently working on. They said that the Lanier Drive piece was going to be a massive commercial development with some residential components (talking about the 228 acre piece). They also talked about the commercial development for the Fair Road tract, and another commercial project for Lanier Drive close to Bird Lane, and commercial properties being developed on Hwy 301 North I think in front of the Northbridge subdivision. They also commented that there are currently two industries in negotiations with Gateway Industrial park. One thing that really surprised me is that they talked about a "Southeast residential corridor" they are working on off of Cawana Road consisting of 2,220 R-15 to R-20 lots. Not sure how the Bradford Place folks will react to that.

I had a feeling that that piece would end up being something big. This might be the new mall we've all been waiting for.

I hope those two deals come through - it's time for some new industry here. It was between us and Effingham for the new EFACEC plant, but we lost out. Hopefully we'll snag these two.

andre, I didn't hear the presentation at the Council meeting so I asked a city staffer if there was something in writing that was in the Council packet or handed out at the meeting. There was a long memo that listed a lot of projects, some completed two or three years ago. (I would have thought they would have just done a 2007 recap.) Listed under "Water & Sewer Projects to be started in the near future" is the Lanier and Bypass project with the words "status unknown". I was told a few months ago that the water and sewer would be too costly for that property (I don't know the reason) and that developer bought the Coleman property on the east side of 67, south of the Bypass. With Statesboro Crossing underway, I can only see one other commercial development of any size being undertaken in the near future. I don't believe people would be pursuing the Lanier development and 67 development at the same time. I don't think we can digest that much commercial development at once. Just my opinion.

The Northbridge subdivision does have a strip of commercial land with lots along 301 North. The developer is focusing on the residential part at this time. I can't see much demand for commercial development in that particular area at this time, especially with what else is around there. The Lanier/Bird developer has left some property along Lanier out of the subdivision plat and designated it for future development. The city hasn't zoned that property for commercial use. He may have to sit on that until the single-family and multifamily developments are done.

The city has been studying the Cawana/Burkhalter/Pretoria Rushing area for over a year. The Beasley family owns much of that land and is interested, over a number of years, in annexing that land and developing it for residential use. The city had a sewer study conducted and much of that land can be served by gravity sewers. The phase which will get the sewer under the Bypass and over to Cawana will start soon. Another phase will take it south, somewhere between Cawana and the Bypass, to the back of the Coleman property. That opens a lot of that land south of the borrow pit/pond for development. I'm sure the Bradford Place residents won't be happy and will make themselves known at the Council meetings, but that's the problem with having something good. Other people want to have a piece of it.

I haven't been able to find out anything on the industrial prospects. They don't seem to tell many people and those who know, won't tell.

• 4 weeks later...

MAJOR DEVELOPMENT NEWS

I came across the following plans tonight for two separate developments- one with a grocery anchor and retail at the corner of the bypass and 301 South, and one at the current location of Franklin Chevrolet. The big news though, is that the development at the corner of the bypass and 301, is said to be across the road from a proposed 200 acre mixed use development, including a Super Target. I'm guessing this is actually the Lanier Drive piece.

The website has been updated recently, so I suppose these are still a go. I'm still trying to search for some info on that 200 acre development.

301 South development: link

Franklin Chevrolet development: link

Edited by MorganA15