Statesboro Development News

andremurra

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Springhill Suites - 113 rooms, 6,000 square foot free-standing meeting room, to be completed Summer 2008.

*Once all hotels under development are completed, over 1000 rooms will be available in the greater Statesboro area

Second Advanced Auto Parts store coming at the corner of Bypass/301 South.

Hotels are latest Boro growth industry / Jan Moore: The connection between auto parts and peas

Edited by MorganA15

We used to have over 1,000 in the market a few years back. We lost 139 when Guest closed, but hopefully we will get most if not all of those back after the rennovation. We will probably have closer to 1200 rooms when its all said and done. We still have Sleep Inn entering the market in 2008 and Hilton is selling off all their exterior-entry Hamptons by 2009. Someone said that we are getting a new Hampton so that will be nice. More to come for Statesboro. Hotels are becoming more an more efficient and dont have to be sold out very often to make a profit. I would disagree with the statement that Statesboro's hospitality industry will reach market saturation when SpringHill and Holiday open. Its just that the Statesboro market is finally getting the attention of the rest of the nation's entrepreneurs. Statesboro's tourism has peaks, and we all know that at those larger peaks, such as Spring Commencement, draw crowds large enough to book Statesboro, all the surrounding counties and portions of Savannah and Augusta. If these hotels can perfect being efficiently managed, our 'peaks' will serve them right.

A quick question, do you guys think it would be better if I merged this topic with the "Statesboro, GA" topic since they both seem to be on the same subject (development news, etc.)?

What would happen is all of the posts in this topic would be integrated into the "Statesboro, GA" topic.

A quick question, do you guys think it would be better if I merged this topic with the "Statesboro, GA" topic since they both seem to be on the same subject (development news, etc.)?

What would happen is all of the posts in this topic would be integrated into the "Statesboro, GA" topic.

That would be fine with me - I think this topic may have been started because the Statesboro, GA topic got so full (400ish posts now). I didnt imagine it would have ever gotten that many replies. Since we have our own forum now, Im sure the topics will become a lot more specific.

Statesboro Summit Re-Opens

061307_BIZ_SUMMIT_2Web.jpg

The newly-renovated Statesboro Summit apartments opened last Wednesday. According to the Georgia Department of Housing and Urban Development, this was one of the most extensive renovations of any HUD rent-subsidized property. Atlanta-based Ambling Development Partners, LLC invested $4-million into the facility and a spokesman said that it was the one most ambitious and one of the most successful projects Ambling has ever undertaken. Built in 1979, the Summit had become one of the most popular eye-sores in city. I always referred to it as "Statesboro's own Drayton Tower". The most impressive aspect of the renovation is that it was fully occupied throughout the process.

• 2 weeks later...

I also notice a large clearing of land and construction area on Zetterower Road on the east side of the road before you get to the side entrance of Myrtle Crossing. I wonder what that is. Mellow Mushroom was announced in the newspaper yesterday for the outparcel of Woodlands Square.

I don't know if they're getting started on that subdivision or not at the corner of 24 and the bypass. They've got that ENTIRE lot cleared. They've been working on it all week.

It actually looks better without the trees, IMO. You should ride over to that side of town and check it out.

The Zetterower Road property was divided into seven lots about two years ago, I think. Last year Tim Durden (the owner) and Andy Aldred asked to rezone it to allow 12 to 16 units aimed at senior citizens. They were designed as duplex or triplex structures, but the individual units would have been sold as condos. The neighbors fought it and the city council turned down the rezoning. I'm surprised Tim didn't go ahead with the seven houses.

The property on 24 East is supposed to be a condo project. It will be two-story buildings with around 8 units in each. I haven't seen architectural drawings, but the early site plan looked like just another apartment devleopment.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting Stuff:

144-lot Subdivision on Packinghouse Road

City is planning a Realignment of Rucker Lane with Old Register Road and will place a traffic light at the intersection.

City will install Left-turning lanes for Beasley/Cawana Roads as Phase II of the Northside Drive Intersection.

40-unit Apartment complex bounded by West Grady, West Jones and Deloach Street.

Huge residential development at East Main Street & Veterens Memorial Parkway (does anyone have information about this?)

Im real excited about the 40-unit apartment complex going up on Deloach Street between Grady and Jones. I drove by there to see where exactly that would be and it was definitely in the ghetto. The block that the complex will replace had homes in terrible condition, so thats great that they are redeveloping that block. Also, this will increase the density of downtown, and bring something new, as in something clean to the neighborhood, so perhaps area residents will be encouraged to clean up at least a little bit. Hopefully this project will have a good impact on the neighborhood.

Hey guys, just wondering is the Shell House still empty or did someone come in and occupy the building yet! If its still closed - do yall know what happened... Shell house is a good place here in Savannah,so I was wondering why it didnt work out to well in Statesboro......

btw, hows the new chilis coming along! cant wait to see it open...applebees & ruby tuesday is probably going to take a huge hit... oh yeah whats the updates on the Target out there?

Hey guys, just wondering is the Shell House still empty or did someone come in and occupy the building yet! If its still closed - do yall know what happened... Shell house is a good place here in Savannah,so I was wondering why it didnt work out to well in Statesboro......

btw, hows the new chilis coming along! cant wait to see it open...applebees & ruby tuesday is probably going to take a huge hit... oh yeah whats the updates on the Target out there?

Edited by MorganA15