Statesboro Development News

andremurra

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More news from the rumor mill:

1. Red Lobster moving into the old Shell House location. This is a possibility since there was a developer trying to get a national chain in there. Jan said it was a franchise, but he could have just have been trying to lure them into that spot.

2. Old Navy going at 67 and the Bypass. I find that hard to believe, because I would think that they would need the whole parcel that's there. I guess they could build on 5 or so acres.

3. Target building in Brannen Crossing, right across from FMB.

1 and 3 are believable. Old Navy, is a odd location. But ehh.

I would be surprised that Red Lobster would want to locate there. I would expect them around the Brannen/Bypass area. Why would they want to be anywhere but in a prime location and even worse, in a building that previously housed a failed seafood restaurant? It seems a big chain like that would rather spend a little more money for a better location and build a building exactly the way they want.

The Old Navy rumor is too outlandish. The last I heard, which was very recently, was that the hotel with an upscale national franchise and adjoining convention center is still on track to locate there. Also, a bank already in town will build a new branch there to replace an existing location. Space is supposed to be set aside for a second hotel if the first one is successful. If Old Navy is coming, Brannen Crossing seems the most likely location.

The Target rumor gets my vote for the most likely of the three. I continue to hear that they are scouting locations in conjunction with development companies. They were going to be part of a shopping center project last year that never happened. I haven't heard any specifics, but hope they will locate at the Brannen Crossing development that is supposed to announce some details soon.

While it's not the first place for development, it comes in the close second. All of the apartment complexes popping up, all of the residential happening on Langston Chapel, and the increased traffic on the bypass. Not only that, but when you have a restaurant that's in high-demand (such as Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Outback, etc..), unless it's WAY far out, people will go to it, wherever it's located. Also consider Statesboro is "the city" to most of the surrounding counties. Everybody comes here to eat, shop, etc... The closest Red Lobster is in Savannah, which is anywhere from 30 minutes, to a hour and 15 minutes, just for some Bulloch County residents. Then you have Screven, Candler, Evans, and the other counties that comes here, and it's even farther for them.

As it was noted before, alot of developments have been but on hold due to the bypass not being widened yet. Once it is (and while it is) widened, I expect development to surge through here, (67 to 301 S).

Chili's in the works- could be coming soon

Well, it seems as if Chili's could be coming to town. No plans have been finalized, but if/when they are, it will be located between the soon-to-be-constructed Holiday Inn and Citizen's Bank.

Edited by MorganA15

There is a bid listed at

http://www.ldiline.com/april23thru30.html#ChilisStatesboro

for construction of a Chili's in Statesboro off Commerce Drive.

My apologies to Morgan for not looking first before asking...I did a little google searching and found the blog post on the Herald, I'm assuming that is where you got the news.

Last I checked, Brinker International (the corporation that owns Chili's), had not made an announcment on their website.

They likely are waiting final approval of construction plans from the City and any other agencies involved before making a formal annoucment.

You never know what might come up in plan review that could discourage a developer, it's probably a good idea for any developer to wait to annouce things to be on the safe side.

I didnt read back to see if this had been mentioned, other than I've heard this or that (I know it was mentioned above but other than that). But, a friend of mine who works at a local appraisal company said that Target is for sure coming and in the location described above.

Edited by theBoro

Yeah, that's where I got it.

I just emailed them a few weeks ago and they said that there were no plans of coming anytime soon. I'll go back and check and see if I can find it.

I hope this goes through. I'm just WAITING for the city to act stupid and down the drain it goes.

Edited by MorganA15

I'm wondering why the parcel is slanted on the west side. It looks as if it's going in on the corner, but that's where I thought the bank was going. On .pdf file, it says corner of VMP and Brannen.

Maybe it's Chili's-Bank-Holiday Inn-Toyota Dealership, than Bank-Chili's-Holiday Inn-Toyota Dealership?

Either way, it's a very nice looking building. I don't think I've seen one like this. Pretty interesting that the developer is from Texas and the franchisee is from Athens.

Edited by MorganA15

He didn't give a time frame, sorry. When I see him again, I will ask.

One other thing...Have yall mentioned yet ANOTHER subdivision going up on 301 North, just north of the bypass. If not, Jennings construction has cleared a pile of land and have a sign up advertising this site coming soon.

my understanding is bank, chili's, holiday inn. That is a good point about the property being slanted.

However notice from the GIS map the corner of Brannen and Commerce...

http://64.234.218.46/ga_bulloch.html?parce...uildings+subs#4

The property lines (at the top left corner of the site) on the plans do not match the angle of the property lines at the Brannen/Commerce intersection. This evidence would support Bank, Chili's, Inn arrangment.

Edited by nova72asu

my understanding is bank, chili's, holiday inn. That is a good point about the property being slanted.

However notice from the GIS map the corner of Brannen and Commerce...

http://64.234.218.46/ga_bulloch.html?parce...uildings+subs#4

The property lines (at the top left corner of the site) on the plans do not match the angle of the property lines at the Brannen/Commerce intersection. This evidence would support Bank, Chili's, Inn arrangment.

I went by Bruster's twice this evening, once about 5, and once around 6:45.

It was busy both times, the parking lot full and the drive thru packed. I'm sure this place will be fine, as we've needed an ice cream store on this side of town for a while. Even though I love the Moolatte's from Dairy Queen, I hate driving all the way across town to get one.