>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

On my way home this afternoon I passed through Luongo Square. There is a house right on the corner of Carpenter and Vinton (233 Carpenter, I think) - the exterior was redone several years ago, and last year an attached one story building was rebuilt. The front of the low building looks pretty nice, but I've been watching it for months and couldn't figure out what would be going in - it's got a large window, so some sort of store front?

Anyway, today the door was open, and all I could see were lots of bar stools. Lots. The interior wasn't finished (open stud walls...), but it looks like a bar. A tiny bar.

Crescent Properties owns this building. But I'm wondering, why a bar (if that is indeed what it is - maybe another "social club" like the ones dotting this area?) if the empty shell of the Decatur (also owned by Crescent) is directly across the street?

(Also, sadly, this building has been unfinished on the inside for ages. Four years, I'd wager, at least. Why go to all the trouble of restoring the exterior, and then leave the interior gutted? Maybe in today's market, but 4-5 years ago?)

So many questions...anyone have any insight?

i thought i'd add a little update on some federal hill restaurants...

forbidden city tea room is open next door to mumu. their hours are 5:00-1:00 (or 2:00) everyday but sunday (they're closed sundays). unfortunately, since it was sunday, i couldn't tell if they meant morning or night. their menu has a bunch of asian teas and what i think is dim sum (having never had dim sum). it's all under $10 from what i remember.

something called 9 two five (logo looks like two9five) is open next to the empty almontes storefront. i imagine it'll be a bar.

danella's is open in the newly renovated building next door to donna's hill on the grill. i didn't get a close look, but i imagine it's a restaurant.

On my way home this afternoon I passed through Luongo Square. There is a house right on the corner of Carpenter and Vinton (233 Carpenter, I think) - the exterior was redone several years ago, and last year an attached one story building was rebuilt. The front of the low building looks pretty nice, but I've been watching it for months and couldn't figure out what would be going in - it's got a large window, so some sort of store front?

Anyway, today the door was open, and all I could see were lots of bar stools. Lots. The interior wasn't finished (open stud walls...), but it looks like a bar. A tiny bar.

Crescent Properties owns this building. But I'm wondering, why a bar (if that is indeed what it is - maybe another "social club" like the ones dotting this area?) if the empty shell of the Decatur (also owned by Crescent) is directly across the street?

(Also, sadly, this building has been unfinished on the inside for ages. Four years, I'd wager, at least. Why go to all the trouble of restoring the exterior, and then leave the interior gutted? Maybe in today's market, but 4-5 years ago?)

So many questions...anyone have any insight?

So honestly, with no crossed fingers....will you ever go back?

And btw, why does everyone talk junk about Shaws but Whole Foods gets a pass? I like Shaws/Stop and Shop. I like to get groceries at one store. I don't care if the prices are higher on one thing but lower on the other. I figure it all works out when you consider time, effort and gas @ $3.25 a gal.

I like the International Market on Chalkstone. The prices are close the PriceRite and the carry brand name peanut butter.

Sure I would go back for certain things.

For what it is worth, Whole Foods surprisingly had cheaper prices on a lot of things than Shaws/Stop and Shop. Sometimes even the organic produce is cheaper than the conventional at Shaws.

Your typical Whole Foods shopper has additional concerns though when it comes to food. Not just cost....

With PriceRite you have to put in some time and effort to get the good prices. On the upside, even completely mobbed this new store is easier to get through and a lot faster to check out than the old one. I really like the "im in a different country" vibe and they have a lot of good stuff you cant find elsewhere. We have been buying this awesome mexican cheese that tastes a lot like feta only much cheaper. tasty! Anyhow, the only times it is not mobbed is during weekdays. I work a 9-5 kind of gig, so my wife has been taking over the shopping duty as she is a lady of leisure. If Jen Coleslaw tells her I said that I will get hit in the head with a frying pan. I think that pricerite could be 80k-90k sq feet and it would still be mobbed. It really shows how underserved the community is.

The little one story storefront was rebuilt with the intentions of being a little restuarant. Problem is zoning for seating in that space. Ideas have been floated for the style, it would not just be a shot and beer joint. Last I hear it was all about the zoning.

I imagine the barstools you saw were for the Avery (formerly known as Decatur) which is supposed to open anyday now, and might have even had a soft opening last night. Or they were from the decatur, etc.

With PriceRite you have to put in some time and effort to get the good prices. On the upside, even completely mobbed this new store is easier to get through and a lot faster to check out than the old one. I really like the "im in a different country" vibe and they have a lot of good stuff you cant find elsewhere. We have been buying this awesome mexican cheese that tastes a lot like feta only much cheaper. tasty! Anyhow, the only times it is not mobbed is during weekdays. I work a 9-5 kind of gig, so my wife has been taking over the shopping duty as she is a lady of leisure. If Jen Coleslaw tells her I said that I will get hit in the head with a frying pan. I think that pricerite could be 80k-90k sq feet and it would still be mobbed. It really shows how underserved the community is.

FWIW i complain about Whole Foods all the time, especially the one on Waterman, when folks stand in the narrow aisles having some inane conversation while their kids either scream or run wild or both.

I am in grocery store heaven right now though. Our local grocery stores (Safeway and Giant--which is owned by the same company that owns Stop and Shop I think) in our town are quite geared toward a hispanic population and let me tell you, those kids BEHAVE. :) They are about the size of the East Side Market and carry an incredible amount of ethnic food. When I want something a little more organic or high end, i have several trader joe's within 10 miles, two whole foods (including a gigantic one with three sit-down restaurants inside) and a wegmans. Plus there's some crazy new market called Bloom which I think might be some sort of weird cult. I haven't been there yet because the webside says they have impromptu cheering by the staff in the aisles and frankly, I can do without that.

I loathe with a PASSION the average Whole Foods shopper.. I get ageda when I go there.. The people there make me never want to set foot inside the place.. Its sad too, because they do have some sweet products you cant find any where else.. Maybe east side market, that place is pretty good..

You all know the type.. They look down their nose at you, DON'T say excuse me, expect you to move out of their holier-than-thou-righteous-walk-on-water way..

I don't know what is worse to me; a yelling WIC butter lady or a 6 MPG Range Rover driving free range chicken eating carbon footprint monitoring yuppie..

I still haven't been to Price-Rite.. The lot is always full, so I drive to Stop & Shop..

Price-Rite population is the Providence population.. One WIC lady doesn't make the rest of us here ghetto.. But there is definately some ghetto here for sure.. I'd rather have some ghetto and the rest real people than live around the above mentioned Whole Fooders, but thats just me..

Archived