4 billion dollar project announced for Va. Beach

Telmnstr

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kerry D's columns are actually the only thing I enjoy in the Pilot, the majority of stories are just fodder for the people. She actually poses the questions that need to be answered (that never are) from leaders in Va. Beach. Remember it's an opionion piece, but it when it comes to the the city of Va. Beach she usually is right on. If you've read a few of her pieces on the beach you would agree... from the large bus plan dibacle, to closing Atlantic Ave. one summer to incoming traffic (loading tourists on giant buses), to closing city garages at 2:30 am so all drunks are set free on va beach highways, to having a referendum to vote "yes" or "no" to even talk about having light rail in the future, and of course the city voted "no",to what's going on with Oceana....I could go on and on. ... the city is quite backwards...., but I will be the first to defend the city if you're not from here! ;)

Kerry D's columns are actually the only thing I enjoy in the Pilot, the majority of stories are just fodder for the people. She actually poses the questions that need to be answered (that never are) from leaders in Va. Beach. Remember it's an opionion piece, but it when it comes to the the city of Va. Beach she usually is right on. If you've read a few of her pieces on the beach you would agree... from the large bus plan dibacle, to closing Atlantic Ave. one summer to incoming traffic (loading tourists on giant buses), to closing city garages at 2:30 am so all drunks are set free on va beach highways, to having a referendum to vote "yes" or "no" to even talk about having light rail in the future, and of course the city voted "no",to what's going on with Oceana....I could go on and on. ... the city is quite backwards...., but I will be the first to defend the city if you're not from here! ;)

Does Jaycee whatshername still write drivel in the Pilot? I took the paper when I lived in Portsmouth and still glance at it online, but the editiorial writing always left something to be desired. That's not to say that many papers these days are much better. The quality of newspaper writing seems to be on a downward slide almost everywhere.

I see nothing wrong with what Kerry has written. Sounds downright reasonable to me. Whats wrong with taking a deep breath and taking a sober look at this proposal? What is wrong with letting people in on the development plans? What is wrong with not letting the developers run the show? What is wrong with everyone sitting back and developing a long range vision for the city? This proposal appears to greatly alter the play book that the city has used for some time. I am not calling for dumping this project at all, but a sober, deliberate and serious review of this project is warranted.

Agreed. I was not criticizing the substance of the article- merely the style- or lack thereof. Virginia Beach is right to take a long, careful look at these plans. I'm not sure there is much substance to them, but let's wait and see what develops.

Does Jaycee whatshername still write drivel in the Pilot? I took the paper when I lived in Portsmouth and still glance at it online, but the editiorial writing always left something to be desired. That's not to say that many papers these days are much better. The quality of newspaper writing seems to be on a downward slide almost everywhere.

Living in NYC and in Brooklyn especially, I am a big fan of soberly reviewing gargantuan real estate development proposals and staying away from the temptation to drink the developer's kool-aid (see the Brooklyn Atlantic Yards development proposal). My objection to Kerry Dougherty's column is, like someone else put it, she is always contrarian and her positions are written in such a naive/folksy, and I would even say, Dubya-ish, manner.

What's the impact of Kerry D's writing? Such simplistic opinion writing doesn't give the reading public the correct information to be able to then call the VB City Council and give their opinions. In the case of the Korean Company's proposal, all I have seen that column do is stoke the flames of NIMBY-ism (no tall towers here in VB, no major tourist developments here), Xenophobia (no new influx of Asian tourists here) and only serves to maintain the status quo for the Hampton Roads region. When are people going to wake up and realize that it's not Princess Anne County, two-lane roads and horse farms anymore? They won't if they read Kerry Dougherty's column. OK, off my soap box. :shades:

She didn't outright suggest it, but she definately alluded to it.

If the city scraps this plan, it won't be the first time quality of life trumped the almighty dollar in the commonwealth. In the 1990s, Prince William County residents fiercely opposed officials and a gushing governor who supported plans for a Disney theme park near the Manassas battlefield.

Score one for sanity.

Very good article in the paper today about the Asian tourist market in Va. Beach. Unfortunately, it's not online yet. :( It talks about this development and another South Korean developer who has just bought a golf course in Va. Beach in the Sandbridge area for similar but smaller goals. It seems that interest in this area has been growing for sometime now. :)

Tourism from Asia, Is it a long shot?

Si-Jun Lee bought the Hells Point golf course four months ago, even though he knows making money off the links can be as hard as playing well on them.

Still, the self-made property manager who emigrated from South Korea 30 years ago said he sold strip malls he owned to help pay for the course.

Maybe, Lee thought, he could surround the course near Sandbridge with golf villas. Maybe he could restore the allure of Hells Point, which earned rave reviews when it opened 25 years ago. Maybe he could buy a second course, then a third. If he could tie the courses together, he might have a package deal to offer tourists.

Coincidentally, while Lee was making his plans, a much bigger South Korean developer jumped in with a $4 billion proposal to turn Virginia Beach into a tourist destination for visitors from the Far East.

And while Lee's purchase of one golf course is dwarfed by the far more ambitious proposal by Sun Rise Development Co. Ltd., the two share a theme: Both Lee and Sun Rise see the Asian tourist trade as an untapped market on which Virginia Beach could feast.

Archived