4 billion dollar project announced for Va. Beach

Telmnstr

Not to stray too far off, but Hoobo's got a point. Many of Richmond's skyscrapers were the result of the growth of its large banks (Signet, Central Fidelity, Crestar) before they were gobbled up by the Charlotte banks and SunTrust. If it had been the other way around, Westin at TC wouldn't be becoming the state's tallest :)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am confused about disrespect to VB....is it because of the renderings cause I have seen tons of beginning renderings for projects that don't match up to its surroundings. That is just a common thing in the industry because it isn't worth the expense to fly out to a location to take pictures when you are so far away on the initial proposal that has yet to be excepted. At this point in the stage, it is to simply say what they would like to do on these sites. Not having VB in the background is pointless right now.

So what other cultural differences that are going on with this that I am not seeing?

It's a four billion dollar proposal. They can't shell out a little money to sell the city on their vision? They can't put out some information to show prior experience? They expect us to go on blind faith and give them a tour? Are you kidding? Right now, it all looks like some fanciful dream as if they picked VB out of a hat. Might as well have been Ocean City. That expectation of faith and trust is the premier cultural difference. That is what they take as respect. Unfortunately, we require disclousure and a fair amount of transparency in business dealings. A mutual understanding of cultures is required. All I've seen is that we need to bow to them but not vice-versa.

Then there's the Asian tourist factor. As I've said, I liken it to Americans in Mexico. There's an entitlement and pushiness that I find ugly. Now, it is not all tourists who are like this. But my experience out here at South Coast Plaza (the new Rodeo Drive) and Disneyland, leads me to become disgusted. I guess I have become racist and xenophobic to some degree. (Haven't reached Lou Dobbs/Pat Buchanan levels yet.) Not on an individual basis but on a group basis. And it's against Americans of Asian descent. But don't worry, it cuts across all lines. I don't like my own ethnic group, Lebanese, because they are arrogant and shady businesspeople.

Like green cards for million dollar investors thanks to a 15 year old law? I imagine this to be the Korean version of the Hong Kong exodus to Vancouver of the 90's. It appears that wealthy South Koreans fear what the North may do so are trying to find a place to run to in case something does happen. Am I really being completely paranoid?

Back to the ugly tourists. That's why keep I referencing us in Mexico (or France or wherever we go). These mega developments will bring even more tourists to HR than sensible developments. Yes, tourists drive a big part of the economy, but does that mean people like them or want more tourists? Think about it for a while. The yearly frustration and annoyance.

Like green cards for million dollar investors thanks to a 15 year old law? I imagine this to be the Korean version of the Hong Kong exodus to Vancouver of the 90's. It appears that wealthy South Koreans fear what the North may do so are trying to find a place to run to in case something does happen. Am I really being completely paranoid?

Back to the ugly tourists. That's why keep I referencing us in Mexico (or France or wherever we go). These mega developments will bring even more tourists to HR than sensible developments. Yes, tourists drive a big part of the economy, but does that mean people like them or want more tourists? Think about it for a while. The yearly frustration and annoyance.

It's a four billion dollar proposal. They can't shell out a little money to sell the city on their vision? They can't put out some information to show prior experience? They expect us to go on blind faith and give them a tour? Are you kidding? Right now, it all looks like some fanciful dream as if they picked VB out of a hat. Might as well have been Ocean City. That expectation of faith and trust is the premier cultural difference. That is what they take as respect. Unfortunately, we require disclousure and a fair amount of transparency in business dealings. A mutual understanding of cultures is required. All I've seen is that we need to bow to them but not vice-versa.

Then there's the Asian tourist factor. As I've said, I liken it to Americans in Mexico. There's an entitlement and pushiness that I find ugly. Now, it is not all tourists who are like this. But my experience out here at South Coast Plaza (the new Rodeo Drive) and Disneyland, leads me to become disgusted. I guess I have become racist and xenophobic to some degree. (Haven't reached Lou Dobbs/Pat Buchanan levels yet.) Not on an individual basis but on a group basis. And it's against Americans of Asian descent. But don't worry, it cuts across all lines. I don't like my own ethnic group, Lebanese, because they are arrogant and shady businesspeople.

I agree with urbanlife the city should review all proposals for the development of these sites. On the question of whether the city should think big or not, I am not sure what is meant by this. Does it mean that Va. Beach should strive to be an international resort like Miami Beach and Vegas? I have not lived down there for 23 years, but I sort of get sickened by this idea. Although I love to visit both Miami Beach and Vegas I do not want Va. Beach to strive to be either one of these. It seems to me from reading literature on Va. Beach economic development plans they want the city to be both a tourist destination and a high tech hub with high paying year round jobs. How does this 4 billion dollar development mesh with this vision? I like the go slow delibarate approach that the city has undertaken so far when it comes to this project. There are alot of things that they have to weigh with Oceana's future just being one.

The man behind the big Beach plan

People piece....no real news about the project

Without a direct line to Virginia Beach's top staff, Lee and his fledgling consulting company speak with no authority now. A month after Maxwell passed the Sun Rise plan to other city officials, Sun Rise sent a cryptic e-mail. It said the company "has never been aware of any reason for Lee International consulting to be engaged in the projects we are currently discussing with the city."

Five days later, Sun Rise's scheduled visit to Virginia Beach was canceled. Kang said he felt disrespected because the city wasn't ready to sign a deal. Dave Hansen, the city's finance chief and the man who took over the project from Maxwell, said Lee may have mucked up the process by promising too much.

"There may be misrepresentation on the part of Mr. Lee with regards to the amount of public acceptance of this project," Hansen said when word of the deal became public.

Lee blames Hansen for the miscommunication. Hansen, however, said he has done nothing but deal firmly, but fairly, with Sun Rise.

Kang is the only man who can explain why he called off the visit, but he has declined repeated requests for an interview.

This one slipped waaayy under the radar screen.

Beach officials confirm planned Korean trip

Kang will show city officials his $1 billion development now being built in Shenyang.

City Councilman John Uhrin confirms this trip is on the table.

"If there is some opportunity ferret all this out and see if it's a good fit for them and for us. We have some repsonibilty to follow through with that," he told us.

Uhrin's district includes three of the four sites and he isn't sure, but he might support taxpayers footing the bill to get to kang if it's deemed worth it.

"If it's an economic development initiative and we have a legitimate opportunity to bring it here, it should be considered," he said.

This proposed trip is not a done deal, and will be discussed at length during Tuesday's Virginia Beach City Council executive session.

Wow, this explains a lot of councils reluctance to go along with AH's exclusivity clause. Apparently (from the end of the video) Sunrise pitched their proposal to council in executive (meaning closed) session on the same day AH pitched theirs (the news report came out before this but said this was scheduled the same day as the AH proposal). Perhaps something is afoot. :)

Wow, this explains a lot of councils reluctance to go along with AH's exclusivity clause. Apparently (from the end of the video) Sunrise pitched their proposal to council in executive (meaning closed) session on the same day AH pitched theirs (the news report came out before this but said this was scheduled the same day as the AH proposal). Perhaps something is afoot. :)

actually I joked about this when I was younger, now it seems to be less of a joke. I have always said that when a local developer grows some balls to take some chances in VB, like AH has, they will soon be shot down by far better companies in the world when they seem them turning a profit there. AH has a very weak display of architectural integrity and it is easy for any half way decent company to outdo them.

Beach trying to keep TPC on course

City Manager Jim Spore confirmed this week that Virginia Beach is in talks with Tournament Players Club officials to extend their management contract at the course on Princess Anne Road.

The city bought the course for $4.54 million last year and has been paying TPC to manage it since Jan. 1.

Spore said the city is interested in keeping the TPC and PGA names because they could be valuable marketing tools for developers who want to build a headquarters hotel for the $207 million Virginia Beach Convention Center.

• 3 weeks later...

Two of Four Hotel Proposals Dropped

Looks like SunRise is off the table :cry: I despise Hansen right now

VIRGINIA BEACH - Documents released Friday show two of the four proposals to build a headquarters hotel for the city's convention center are off the table.

Armada Hoffler, which had pitched a hotel and entertainment complex at the former Dome site at 19th Street and Pacific Avenue, withdrew its plans this week after its entertainment venue backed out of the proposal.

Two days earlier, a city executive wrote in an e-mail that the Beach has lost interest in working with Sun Rise Development Co. Ltd., a South Korean firm, because the company has said nothing to the city since January.

The ending for Sun Rise was more abrupt.

Dave Hansen, the city's finance chief, has been working for weeks with a Korean liaison of the Virginia Economic Development Partnership. In an e-mail sent Monday, Hansen told the liaison "As for SR - I do not request you continue interaction at this time." The e-mail was released in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

Archived