The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

The last thing Greenville needs is more "modern southern cuisine."

Perhaps, but I think when you have something so unique and local as Falls Park, a restaurant with local flavor would complement it best. Why try to bring Paris or Tokyo or (insert city name) to Greenville's most iconic landmark? Let Greenville be Greenville at its soul. One could argue that international business is fairly close to modern Greenville's soul, but we'll see what they do with this place. Like I said before: at least it's Table 301. They rarely disappoint.

Personally, I think it's a fantastic improvement to the plain building that's there. It has so much more character and I think it looks appropriate for the setting.

Foodwise, we'll see what Table 301 can come up with, but in my opinion, they rarely disappoint.

Much more excited about this idea than some of the other 'restaurants' (aka Tilted Kilt) that have an eye on Greenville or the halfway thought out restaurant concepts that get submitted.

Personally, I think it's a fantastic improvement to the plain building that's there. It has so much more character and I think it looks appropriate for the setting.

Foodwise, we'll see what Table 301 can come up with, but in my opinion, they rarely disappoint.

Much more excited about this idea than some of the other 'restaurants' (aka Tilted Kilt) that have an eye on Greenville or the halfway thought out restaurant concepts that get submitted.

My girlfriend also likes this plan. She thinks that it will be something a little bit different then we already have. We are hoping they would allow calm dogs to sit outside with us while we eat like other restaurants downtown. A nice stroll through the park and then some brunch.... can't beat that!

As a person who has visited Montreal and other areas of Quebec many times, I have to say I am really looking forward to this new French restaurant. Love the design of it. Also, Overlook Grill was getting boring in my opinion. It has been years since I last ate there.

Everything at Clothing Warehouse is now 50% off. :(

Edited by gman430

As a person who has visited Montreal and other areas of Quebec many times, I have to say I am really looking forward to this new French restaurant. Love the design of it. Also, Overlook Grill was getting boring in my opinion. It has been years since I last ate there.

Everything at Clothing Warehouse is now 50% off. :(

So it's all appropriately priced now? Ha, couldn't help myself!

But really, is nobody concerned about the outside seating space of the proposed Overlook space? I mean, they have always had a fair amount of seating all the way to the railing so you can see out into the park...hopefully there are tables outside of the awning area.

Edited by GVLbikeNboard

from the Greenville news.

The menu is still in development, but Youngblood has lots of ideas swirling. Expect at least one scallop dish and a duck breast dish, and of course, really good coffee

To furthering the restaurant’s comfortable atmosphere, Youngblood wanted an open kitchen. The 48-seat space will also be capped off with a chef’s bar, allowing people to interact with the chefs.The outside seating area will also be expanded.

“We definitely didn’t want to redo Southern,” Youngblood says. .”

The new eatery is set to open in April.

• Like 1

Looks like Brown Street is closed for remodeling. Not sure if this is true, but someone posted on facebook that they did not let any employees know until they day they were closing.

I have a friend who's band was supposed to play there Saturday night and they just posted on their facebook that they wouldn't be playing because of the remodel so it does seem like it was done quickly.

I read on Twitter that it had closed.  There was no mention of remodeling.  I hope I'm wrong!

I certainly hope that's not true. 

Guadalajara (sp?) has closed and reopened as "Azteca" or something like that. Still Mexican food, not sure if the owners are the same?

Edited by GvilleSC

Yes, weeknights at Brown Street were usually dead. I'd sometimes go there on Wednesdays for 1/2 price martini night and nobody would be in there. I should have seen the writing on the wall when they ran a Groupon deal a few months back.

Our downtown has so many restaurant and bar options now. It's a great thing, but we could hit a saturation point without additional growth in other areas. Hopefully the additional rental units being built in the downtown area will help. And hopefully Hughes will get funding to build a convention space and a hotel down at Camperdown & River St. This could bring additional weekday/night customers. For example, my wife's company held a company-wide meeting in Charlotte. This brought paying customers to Charlotte restaurants and bars between a Wednesday and Friday. Her company would like to hold this event in Greenville, but I think our downtown currently lacks a large meeting space, with additional breakout rooms, for 300 people. Her company probably doesn't need space as large as the TD Convention Center (or they simply wouldn't want to stay out near Pleasantburg and would rather remain completely downtown). I think a convention space and/or a large hotel with ample meeting space could help with the weekday business at downtown restaurants and bars. 

Don't know how long they have been closed for (could be months) but the cafe/deli at Liberty Square no longer exists: http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/4/D/4/4D40CCDB-1D98-4EA9-BB05-17ADE30DDB20.pdf

Moe Joe Coffee is slated to open March 15th. A stage will be included within the building for bands, readings, etc.

Edited by gman430

Looks like Brown Street is closed for remodeling. Not sure if this is true, but someone posted on facebook that they did not let any employees know until they day they were closing.

No remodel. Just closing. Guess all that money the city sunk into the poorly executed "piano key" sidewalks didn't pay off. Hmmmm.....