The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Clemson and Furman are both in negotiations with Barnes and Noble. The talk is that a new Barnes and Noble will be built downtown and sell both Clemson and Furman apparel, I don't know about University of South Carolina.

That sounds great. Barnes and Noble already has the bookstore at Furman. The new name is Barnes and Noble at Furman, appropriately.

Does anyone know what is going on at the old service center at the corner of East McBee Ave and South Irvine St? It has caution tape around the entire corner lot and it seems like construction is about to start.

I noticed that as I drove back from dinner downtown tonight. There's a backhoe on site and a large hole dug at the corner. I don't know, but assume that an underground storage tank must have needed removal? Hopefully this indicates that something is about to happen.

I noticed that as I drove back from dinner downtown tonight. There's a backhoe on site and a large hole dug at the corner. I don't know, but assume that an underground storage tank must have needed removal? Hopefully this indicates that something is about to happen.

I would think that is correct. One of the reasons Jim Beam did not buy the property outright was that the current owner was charging more than the property was worth, almost a hundred percent more. The property won't sell until the gas tank is removed and the property is up to date on DHEC regulations.

When I drove by just before 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, the tank was sitting above ground. If it wasn't there later in the evening, then I assume that it was hauled away.

Site remediation continues. Second undergound tank was hauled away on a trailer this morning.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay...not sure what happened with Quizno's. Maybe they backed out. :dontknow: Still no "for lease" sign up on the space though.

Renovations have started on the former Halfway to Habana space at 20 South Main Street: http://www.loopnet.c...-Greenville-SC/ C Dan Joyner Commercial recently sold the building to Boardwalk Development Corporation for $600,000.

Edited by citylife

A temporary shop for CityStory Greenville (http://citystorygreenville.com/) is going into the old Twigs space near the Westin Poinsett. They'll be set up there from now until the end of the year with lots of Greenville-specific gifts for the holidays.

Awesome! Maybe they'll find a need for a permanent location. I think a good gift shop could be supported, if located in a strong visitor area-- such as Court Square or closer to the falls.