The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I wonder if there is any connection between the CVS and the upcoming development at the Kimbrell's building? It would be a solid location for a CVS.

The "green monster" building the West End also seems like a good place for CVS, especially since we previously heard that the developer was targeting a national pharmacy there.

I wonder if there is any connection between the CVS and the upcoming development at the Kimbrell's building? It would be a solid location for a CVS.

The "green monster" building the West End also seems like a good place for CVS, especially since we previously heard that the developer was targeting a national pharmacy there.

Interesting thought, Greenville. I hadn't even considered that news to be possibly related. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.

It'd be great if any plans for the Kimbrell's building could involve Carolina First lot/atm/etc next door. It's definitely not the lot with the most need of development (Main @ Broad, Coffee St lots, West End grassy areas), but it wouldn't hurt to have an attractive development there... :whistling:

There is a story on page 31 in the newest issue of the Greenville Journal regarding the downtown Dunkin Donuts location. Kainos Partners is being sued by Progressive Builders due to unpaid costs by the developer for work being done on the project. The developers hope construction will resume around August with an opening in September. Lack of financing is the reason for the delay according to the article.

Edited by citylife

The Green Monster site is my bet. The developer mentioned discussions with national retailers. It will be interested to see if Walgrens follows nearby. I think it is a law or something.

The meeting on that 4 story retail/residential building in West End (Main at Wardlaw) was Thursday. Did anyone hear what happened, was it approved?

My bet is the Green Monster as well, however, I'd really love to see it on Main in the old Benetz location. That location would serve daytime office workers, as well as those living downtown and visiting downtown equally well......plus I'd still rather see West End remain local/independent type stores.

Oops. I meant to say Kiriakides which is the last name of the person selling the site: http://showcase.costar.com/c/commercial-re...HFgiAnJo3f1ylNK KDS Properties is the company. I don't know if it will be part of a mixed use project or not. I don't think you have to worry about on-site parking though. The DPC would never approve something like that on Main Street in the heart of downtown Greenville.

Edited by citylife

Is this the walled pit? Does this site not seem big for an urban cvs (without parking, etc required?).

Yes it is. That's why i'm guessing it will probably be part of a mixed use development. Still don't have confirmation on that yet though.

IF the corner of Main and McBee is indeed the correct location of this proposed CVS, I sincerely hope there are 3 or 4 levels of building above it (mixed use), if not, I hope (and logically think) the city will put the brakes on it.

IF the corner of Main and McBee is indeed the correct location of this proposed CVS, I sincerely hope there are 3 or 4 levels of building above it (mixed use), if not, I hope (and logically think) the city will put the brakes on it.

I think this a perfect location for CVS, convenient to many daytime office workers, hotel guests, and residents.

I also hope that it will be part of a larger mixed-use project. Is Main@McBee officially dead as we knew it, or could this provide the spark it needed to get off the ground?

For that corner, I think 4 stories would be the minimum I'd hope to see. I'm not looking for a huge building, but for such a prime piece of land, I think that's reasonable. Having this land developed would be the ultimate shot in the arm for all the retail spaces at the Bookends.

I would be extrememly disappointed if this is not part of a larger development. This is not the right spot for a CVS by itself IMO. I think it would be a total waste of the site unless there is something really nice planned, yet I would think that we would have heard if it was to be more than just a CVS would we not have?

Anyone concerned that a CVS could take business away from some of the locally owned businesses? Thes echain drugsteres sell a little of everything and I would be a litle afraid of it negativley affecting the small local businesses.

Speaking of the Green monster... anyone heard anything about what is going on with that thing?

I would be extrememly disappointed if this is not part of a larger development. This is not the right spot for a CVS by itself IMO. I think it would be a total waste of the site unless there is something really nice planned, yet I would think that we would have heard if it was to be more than just a CVS would we not have?

Anyone concerned that a CVS could take business away from some of the locally owned businesses? Thes echain drugsteres sell a little of everything and I would be a litle afraid of it negativley affecting the small local businesses.

I can't think of any other place downtown that would offer pharmacy services, grocery items, seasonal items, etc AND is locally owned. It would save people on Main Street a three block walk to Publix, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any local places that would be 'direct' competition.

I don't think we would necessarily have heard yet if this was or was not a part of a larger development. I sure hope it is, though.

I don't think we would necessarily have heard yet if this was or was not a part of a larger development. I sure hope it is, though.

Exactly. It's not as if the CVS deal was publicly announced. So far we're going on "insider" info obtained by citylife. I'm sure we'll soon hear more about the larger development it will be a part of. :thumbsup:

That there old hole is'in our swimin hole. Our little old own ceeeeement pond! Don't take our hillbilly hollor! What we gonna do on Saturda'in nite? Where our barefoot and pregnant womans gonna swim and warsh? :P

That rite thar is whur me 'n Bobbie Sue go skinny dippin'. Then we walk rite down over yonder an' go cow tippin' till we's all tuckered out! Then we go back to momma 'n em's for our meat 'n thray for supper, with cold swait tay to drank of course! It's the simple life we're 'customed to 'round these here parts!

:lol:

Edited by Greenville

:rofl: MOO!

MOO! MOO!

That rite thar is whur me 'n Bobbie Sue go skinny dippin'. Then we walk rite down over yonder an' go cow tippin' till we's all tuckered out! Then we go back to momma 'n em's for our meat 'n thray for supper, with cold swait tay to drank of course! It's the simple life we're 'customed to 'round these here parts!

:lol:

MOO! MOO! MOO!