The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

-DT's hasn't even opened yet and they're already looking to expand into the space between theirs and Tsunami's.

-Looks like another empty retail space might be getting filled on Main Street in the West End. This one in the same building as Twigs opposite of the entrance. Available sign has been removed and brown paper is now on the windows.

Edited by citylife

-Looks like another empty retail space might be getting filled on Main Street in the West End. This one in the same building as Twigs opposite of the entrance. Available sign has been removed and brown paper is now on the windows.

This is going to be a franchise that sells old fashioned candy and specialty children's toys. I don't know much more about it than that.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like OP Taylors and Munchies rolled into one.

I went in Falls Park Golf & Games the other day to check it out as my nephews are coming into town this summer. The golf area is well done. :thumbsup: (any negative comments I previously made about FP G&G, were made in haste). Your mention of Munchies......the old Munchies sign is up behind the candy / concessions are in Falls Park Golf & Games. Were the Munchies owners involved with FP Golf & Games, or did FP just buy the sign for decoration? :dontknow:

The Spero's Original Pete's restaurant at the corner of Stone Ave. and E. North St. will be open soon. They did a great job on the remodel. It doesn't even look like the same building. :)

Well it does but it doesn't and that is what's so cool. I drove by last night after dark and the inside looks great. I just hope that can do something about the flooding that occurs in that area.

I went in Falls Park Golf & Games the other day to check it out as my nephews are coming into town this summer. The golf area is well done. :thumbsup: (any negative comments I previously made about FP G&G, were made in haste). Your mention of Munchies......the old Munchies sign is up behind the candy / concessions are in Falls Park Golf & Games. Were the Munchies owners involved with FP Golf & Games, or did FP just buy the sign for decoration? :dontknow:
I recall someone mentioning that the same creative guy was behind the Reedy River gondola rides, Munchies, and Falls Park Golf & Games. :shades:

A new store called Mack's shoe store is scheduled to open soon on West Washington Street next door to and in the same building as Evolve Male. This building is not part of the Washington Square development.

Hmm...any relation to the "Mack's Shoe Shop" on North Street beside Tsunami?

Don't know. Maybe they're relocating.

This is going to be a franchise that sells old fashioned candy and specialty children's toys. I don't know much more about it than that.

The Lollipop Shop is going to be the name of this store.

I was walking around downtown over the weekend. There are way way too many storefronts occupied by low-traffic stores: galleries, kitchen design places, "cutesy" gift shops and the like.

Downtown needs to get more retail anchors that attract heavy traffic or even replace some low-traffic stores with higher-traffic ones; Publix should attract heavy traffic at some point, since people have to shop for groceries frequently, and Mast General Store does, but that's about it.

We need a Target or Wal-Mart in the central city (not on Main St. but at least somewhere close in).

Edited by mallguy

I was walking around downtown over the weekend. There are way way too many storefronts occupied by low-traffic stores: galleries, kitchen design places, "cutesy" gift shops and the like.

Downtown needs to get more retail anchors that attract heavy traffic or even replace some low-traffic stores with higher-traffic ones; Publix should attract heavy traffic at some point, since people have to shop for groceries frequently, and Mast General Store does, but that's about it.

We need a Target or Wal-Mart in the central city (not on Main St. but at least somewhere close in).

An urban WalMart or Target is not going to happen in a city as small as Greenville. Do urban Walmarts even exit? Urban Targets are few and far between and in much bigger/denser cities. 10-20 years from now, maybe, until then don't turn down those low-traffic stores, they are a hell of a lot better than a vacant space.

An urban WalMart or Target is not going to happen in a city as small as Greenville. Do urban Walmarts even exit? Urban Targets are few and far between and in much bigger/denser cities. 10-20 years from now, maybe, until then don't turn down those low-traffic stores, they are a hell of a lot better than a vacant space.

Yes, there is an urban Wal-Mart on Main Street in White Plains, NY- which isn't that big of a city.

I'm thinking a mixed-use development like the Midtown one in Charlotte, right next to uptown Charlotte- so in the central city, but not in the core of downtown. There's plenty of vacant land to the west of downtown that could easily be used.

There were 2 discount stores at what's now County Square- one (Edwards) was even owned by Wal-Mart.

I can see a Wal-GREENS at the current green monster site, but never a Walmart or Target. we will be in flying cars by the time a Walmart or Target is downtown.

I am still holding out hope that we will get a big name downtown bookstore, an art-house movie theatre and a pocket park or two.

I can see a Wal-GREENS at the current green monster site, but never a Walmart or Target. we will be in flying cars by the time a Walmart or Target is downtown.

I am still holding out hope that we will get a big name downtown bookstore, an art-house movie theatre and a pocket park or two.

Sounds great!

And there was a discount store owned by Wal-Mart right downtownish (Edwards), at Bell Tower Mall, until the late 1970s.

From the Greenville Journal:

-Two restaurants are looking at the Prevost building which is at the intersection of Beattie and Main Streets. Renovations on this building will start soon.

-An announcement regarding the Kimbrell's building on Main Street is scheduled to happen soon also. The building is expected to have a major overhaul.

Edited by citylife

CVS:

I hope this actually means the pedestrian area of downtown, and not near Stone Ave. This is one of those things that signals a legit urban environment because it recognizes the existence and vibrance of an area, the residential factor, and the needs of the users (who are obviously there for whatever reasons).

I guess there's no turning back if it's a done deal, but here's to hoping for: no parking, quality design, and good orientation with respect to the streets and site.

Good news is that it should have to go through the DPC, and if they're picky about anything, then a CVS should also get the ultimate scrutiny. Some developments that have happened or proposed in Columbia make me worry about such things. Hopefully, I'm just a worrier by nature, and it will enhance our downtown in every way...

From the Greenville Journal:

-Two restaurants are looking at the Prevost building which is at the intersection of Beattie and Main Streets. Renovations on this building will start soon.

-An announcement regarding the Kimbrell's building on Main Street is scheduled to happen soon also. The building is expected to have a major overhaul.

I like both of these! It's great to see investment at the "tip" of Main across from the Hyatt. It's also very encouraging to finally hear some more about one of the few remaining eyesore buildings in the City Center. :camera:

Edited by GvilleSC

The TBA in the Greenville Journal made it sound like CVS will be on Main Street in the heart of the Central Business District. Doesn't seem like Stone Avenue to me. If I had to guess, I would say the pharmacy will be located either at the green monster site or at Benetz old retail spot. I hope to find out the exact location tomorrow.

The TBA in the Greenville Journal made it sound like CVS will be on Main Street in the heart of the Central Business District. Doesn't seem like Stone Avenue to me. If I had to guess, I would say the pharmacy will be located either at the green monster site or at Benetz old retail spot. I hope to find out the exact location tomorrow.

Either one of those would suit me. Actually, I'd be thrilled. I guess my original thoughts were leaning toward vacant land, like Main at McBee, which would be great to have filled, but not with a single story pharmacy. (I realize that the site is probably unlikely due to costs and size, but it gets me worried, haha) Also, the amount of land in the West End worries me with possibility of on-site parking...

They would definitely be best suited for a building that is already standing, or proposed, involving only upfitting of the interior.