The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

So I say all of that to say this: if a local retailer is good at what they do, and offer consumers something they really like, they don't have to worry about national chains. It's the local retailers who don't really have a good product and/or have not marketed their product well who should be concerned. And is it really our job to intervene?

Well said!

I would hope the influx of national retailers would force all locals to sharpen their product/marketing. It can be a win for all.

Evolve Male is on West Washington Street across from Wild Wing Cafe while Reys Market & Deli is located where Venti used to be on North Main Street. There is also a new cuban restaurant on East Broad Street in that 1-2 story building next to the Elliott Davis building.
I think they may use the famous old Rey's Jeweler's sign again, whether as it hung outside that same building before or perhaps in a new fashion. I would be thrilled to see those large letters back out over the sidewalk once again, all lit up after dark. :)

Evolve Male has been there for quite a while now.

Edited by Skyliner

I think they may use the famous old Rey's Jeweler's sign again, whether as it hung outside that same building before or perhaps in a new fashion. I would be thrilled to see those large letters back out over the sidewalk once again, all lit up after dark. :)

What I have heard is that the letters will be inside of the store. The owners originally wanted to use them outside but the only way the city would allow a neon sign is if it was restored completely back to the way it used to be. The cost of doing so was to much, so it will be inside.

What I have heard is that the letters will be inside of the store. The owners originally wanted to use them outside but the only way the city would allow a neon sign is if it was restored completely back to the way it used to be. The cost of doing so was to much, so it will be inside.

The City should provide some sort of incentives for restoring it. Maybe give them a grant for its funding, or giving them a financial break somewhere... I'd love to see that added back to Main St, though I can't say I know what it looks like...

Peek inside the front window of the store. The metal frame of the sign is already up on one of the interior exposed brick walls near the front entrance. Looks cool. :thumbsup:

Liquid Highway was going to open today, but there were still a few small things to do. It should be opening tomorrow (Tuesday).

Have you guys been busy? Noticed you were open this morning, but already had coffee from ABC. I'll start stopping by Liquid Highway tomorrow. Great addition to Main Street. :thumbsup:

Is Reys the wine and cheese shop / high end market that was on the slate?
Correct, according to the information we received. I remember the small discussion about a wine bar directly over a wine and cheese shop. As before, I only hope this one remains much longer than the former Bottles & Baskets store a couple blocks up Main.

What does everyone think about the new Spill The Beans store? I reminds me of a small caf

Blueberryfrog is going to be a high end frozen yogurt shop similar to the pinkberry concept along the west coast.

:good::good: Very, very cool. Love Pinkberry. Always refreshing to see local Greenvillians keeping up with the trends, especially West Coast trends.

Love the "froyo" lingo used at Pinkberry! :lol:

Have you guys been busy? Noticed you were open this morning, but already had coffee from ABC. I'll start stopping by Liquid Highway tomorrow. Great addition to Main Street. :thumbsup:

It hasn't been too busy, but today was the first official day open. Yesterday things were getting finished and touched up for the most part. We had the debate on the TVs tonight and probably 30-40 people were there to watch so that definitely helped! It is a great addition and an awesome location. The owner of Coffee Underground stopped by today and seemed to like it!

What does everyone think about the new Spill The Beans store? I reminds me of a small caf

It hasn't been too busy, but today was the first official day open. Yesterday things were getting finished and touched up for the most part. We had the debate on the TVs tonight and probably 30-40 people were there to watch so that definitely helped! It is a great addition and an awesome location. The owner of Coffee Underground stopped by today and seemed to like it!

Well if the debate didn't do anything else, it helped your business. :P

How late will the downtown location be open? 9, 10, 11?

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't necessarily retail, but it's general downtown business at the street level, so I guess it fits...

Someone is proposing a bar for 100 East North Street in downtown. This will be at the corner of Brown Street and E North Street. Some of the adjacent properties are Dixie's Tavern, and the Brown Street Club. They are applying to the Board of Zoning for this approval. They say they're aiming to attract an older crowd.

You can check out their application here: http://www.greatergreenville.com/city_gove...EastNorthSt.pdf

I hope they approve it. It seems very appropriate with Dixie's being across the street and the Brown Street Club close by. Looking at the satellite image of this area, there's some prime real estate that is asphalt. I love the visual experience of North Street from Richardson to Spring Street. Developing those lots would definitely add a lot to that experience and enhance the life (which, currently is mainly a late evening one).

Edited by GvilleSC

This isn't necessarily retail, but it's general downtown business at the street level, so I guess it fits...

Someone is proposing a bar for 100 East North Street in downtown. This will be at the corner of Brown Street and E North Street. Some of the adjacent properties are Dixie's Tavern, and the Brown Street Club. They are applying to the Board of Zoning for this approval. They say they're aiming to attract an older crowd.

You can check out their application here: http://www.greatergreenville.com/city_gove...EastNorthSt.pdf

I hope they approve it. It seems very appropriate with Dixie's being across the street and the Brown Street Club close by. Looking at the satellite image of this area, there's some prime real estate that is asphalt. I love the visual experience of North Street from Richardson to Spring Street. Developing those lots would definitely add a lot to that experience and enhance the life (which, currently is mainly a late evening one).

I like this idea. In fact, I wonder if this stretch of East North Street (and side streets, like Brown Street) could become somewhat of a downtown "nightlife district" like we have talked about before. I would never want it to detract from the good bars and clubs found throughout Center City and the West End, but East North Street would definitely be a good area for this use since it's a currently underutilized area off of Main. Increasing foot traffic and updating it would be great - especially for future developments on this road like the federal courthouse and Gateway site.