Questions about Greenville

cheryl

Hi!

First, Skyliner, thanks for the warm welcome to my introductory post.

I said I had some questions about Greenville. I hope I'm in the right section of this forum. Coming from Los Angeles, it will be a different environment in many ways. I'm not so concerned about the cultural environment as much as the weather.

I've never driven in snow or ice. Does it snow or ice a lot?

What kind of annoying bugs are there in SC?

I read about pollution on another forum. Someone mentioned an orange haze or something?!?!

How is the traffic? If I had to commute into Greenville for work, where would be a good area to live?

What health insurers do you have there?

What are your two favorite and two least favorite things about living there?

Is a new (or newer) house (3bed/2 ba/1200 sqf) for about 100 to 125K a realistic thing?

Is there smoking in public places like restaurants?

Any apartment recommendations? I will be renting at first. Any parts of town you need to avoid? Remember, I come from Los Angeles, where there are neighborhoods you don't even drive through during the day, let alone at night!

Anybody know anything about dancing? Like swing or country-western or other partner dancing? I love Cajun/Zydeco, but that's a little hard to find even out here.

I am a court reporter (freelance, not in court). Is there a business district where most attorneys have their offices or is it all spread out?

I keep looking at these photos you all are sharing and they are fantastic. I'm a real nature worshipper, and it's beautiful the way the city has incorporated the natural surroundings into its design.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

Cheryl

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll not steal the show and address all of these questions, but I will respond to a few of them:

Q: I've never driven in snow or ice. Does it snow or ice a lot?

A: We do have snow and ice (mostly ice); however, it's not a frequent occurance and when it does happen most businesses (especially courts, schools, etc.) close and people are usually strongly encouraged to stay off of the roads.

Q: How is the traffic? If I had to commute into Greenville for work, where would be a good area to live?

A: There is heavy traffic on the South/East side of town, near Simpsonville/Mauldin/Woodruff Road. I-85 can become backed up frequently, too. For a short commute, I would very highly recommend Travelers Rest. From T.R., you are just a short drive down US-276 into Downtown Greenville. :thumbsup:

Q: Is a new (or newer) house (3bed/2 ba/1200 sqf) for about 100 to 125K a realistic thing?

A: This is becoming less realistic than it was five years ago; however, what you've cited here should still be doable. :thumbsup:

Q: Is there smoking in public places like restaurants?

A: Smoking in public places (restaurants, outdoor entertainment areas, etc.) was recently banned in the City of Greenville. The ban takes effect in January. -_-

Let me see what I can answer here ...

What kind of annoying bugs are there in SC? Cicadas they are noisy. Fire ants just don't step on a fire ant hill and you shouldn't have any issues. Otherwise it's the standard insects most places have - bees, hornets, etc but they aren't in abundance here more than anywhere else I've been.

How is the traffic? If I had to commute into Greenville for work, where would be a good area to live? TR is nice I used to live there. I live in Taylors now. While I usually work from home or am on the road my wife works downtown - and coming in from Taylors it's a pretty straight shot - little to no problems < 20 minutes from where I live.

What are your two favorite and two least favorite things about living there? 2 favorites: Reasonably priced housing, and all my family is here pretty much. Least favorites: I'm a blue dot in a red state politically, and all my family is here pretty much.

Anybody know anything about dancing? Like swing or country-western or other partner dancing? I love Cajun/Zydeco, but that's a little hard to find even out here.

I know the handlebar does swing dancing one night a week (or used to), but I don't know anything beyond that.

I am a court reporter (freelance, not in court). Is there a business district where most attorneys have their offices or is it all spread out? Most attorneys I'm aware of have offices downtown or very near to downtown.

Hope this helps some.

Scuffletown USA is rather well-known for having Country-Western and partner dancing. It's a large facility southeast of the bedroom community of Simpsonville. Lots of people go there.

I read about pollution on another forum. Someone mentioned an orange haze or something?!?! I have never noticed it, in the 30+ years I have been here.

How is the traffic? If I had to commute into Greenville for work, where would be a good area to live? Need more info about what you would be looking for in a community. There are so many different areas, some populated, some less so, all within a 20-30 min commute.

What health insurers do you have there? Blue Cross Blue Shield is one of the largest.

Is a new (or newer) house (3bed/2 ba/1200 sqf) for about 100 to 125K a realistic thing? Absolutely!

Any parts of town you need to avoid? Not really. I work in some of the less desirable areas of the city on a consistent basis, but I wouldn't necessarily call them unsafe.

I am a court reporter (freelance, not in court). Is there a business district where most attorneys have their offices or is it all spread out? Pettigru district would be the most popular.

Scuffletown USA is rather well-known for having Country-Western and partner dancing. It's a large facility southeast of the bedroom community of Simpsonville. Lots of people go there.

Hey everybody,

Wow, what great information. I'm glad to hear about all of it, particularly the smoking ban. That was something I didn't expect. I've bookmarked all the dancing links, thanks for going to the trouble to do that.

Wow, it sounds just so nice there. After our trip to Charlotte, I decided to research Greenville, because Charlotte seemed too big. I had written Greenville off as being too small. That's what happens when you automatically stereotype something. I had no idea I was going to stumble onto a treasure like this. No wonder everybody on this site seems so happy. Someone told me once that fear is the flip side of excitement. Well, I'm feeling less fear and more excitement about my future now. Thank you all!

gregtrob, that was funny, partly because it's so true!

>>2 favorites: all my family is here pretty much. Least favorites: all my family is here pretty much.<<

I've never driven in snow or ice. Does it snow or ice a lot?

Not much, but when it happens we get a few days off ;)

What kind of annoying bugs are there in SC?

This is in response to the cicada comment from before, they are NOISY but I personally find them enjoyable. It varies from year to year and where you are located (some places have none, others have lots).

I read about pollution on another forum. Someone mentioned an orange haze or something?!?!

No, its not that bad. Its not near as bad as Atlanta or Los Angeles. Pollution is becoming an issue though, so watch out for it in the future.

How is the traffic? If I had to commute into Greenville for work, where would be a good area to live?

Traveler's Rest probably has the quickest commute of any suburb... but if you really want a quick commute, live in the City, or near it.

What are your two favorite and two least favorite things about living there?

I should qualify that while I don't "live" in Greenville, I do work there, and it looks like I might end up there after I graduate. With that said-

Likes: 1) Downtown 2) proximity to adjacent regions (beach, mountains, Charlotte & Atlanta (for big city things)

Dislikes: 1) major sprawl problem (read: traffic) 2) lack of support for transit, traffic

I think its also important to qualify that traffic in Greenville is only really bad in a couple of places consistantly thorughout the day, and those are the major shopping areas. Rush hours can get backed up but its no worse than any other neighboring city (I would argue its better in most cases) and most certainly than what you are used to in LA.

Is a new (or newer) house (3bed/2 ba/1200 sqf) for about 100 to 125K a realistic thing?

Defintiely. You may not get to be too choosey about the location, but it should not be a problem for you. I'm looking at a real estate magazine right now and I'm seeing a few in that range without much searching. The only one I found that listed its location was in Dist 5 (which means western Spartanburg County (Greer). W. Spartanburg might be a good option for you to consider. Duncan/Reidville is more a suburb of Spartanburg, but it still has easy access to Greenville. Another option is Powdersville in NE Anderson County.

Anyway, your answer is yes. Easley, Greer, or Traveler's Rest will probably be the best locations for that price range, but you never know what you will find.

Is there smoking in public places like restaurants?

I guess you heard about the new smoking ban?

Any apartment recommendations? I will be renting at first. Any parts of town you need to avoid? Remember, I come from Los Angeles, where there are neighborhoods you don't even drive through during the day, let alone at night!

Well, compared to LA there are very few (if ANY) places like that in the entire Upstate. You probably want to avoid the West Greenville area (basicly the area just west of downtown) which is percieved to be the less safe part of town. The Eastside particularly near 385/Pelham Rd/Haywood Rd/Howell Rd/Hudson Rd has a large concentration of apartment complexes of all price ranges though you can find them all over town.

Greenville is really larger than the city population shown. That could be why you thought it was too small. I think it is really a city of around 200k or more. Someone correct me if wrong.

What kind of annoying bugs are there in SC? Fire ants are by far becoming the biggest issue. Its becoming harder and harder find a safe place to sit in the grass, I get attacked many times in a year.

I read about pollution on another forum. Someone mentioned an orange haze or something?!?! Part of the problem comes from our location at the base of the mountains that causes polution to be trapped, but its really not bad, just a little hazy in the hottest of summer days.

How is the traffic? If I had to commute into Greenville for work, where would be a good area to live? Traffic is a non issue most of the time, even Woodruff Rd. isn't bad if you come from an area with real traffic problems.

What are your two favorite and two least favorite things about living there? The downtown is amazing, oh and it was in the mid 60's yesterday and gorgous, its November and I ran in short slevees and shorts last night.

Is a new (or newer) house (3bed/2 ba/1200 sqf) for about 100 to 125K a realistic thing? With out a doubt, Greer has plenty as does Blueridge.

Is there smoking in public places like restaurants? The restaurant smoking ban is only in the City of Greenville not the other municipalities or unincorporated areas of the county. County wide pan on other public places like theaters and retail stores.

Anybody know anything about dancing? Like swing or country-western or other partner dancing? I love Cajun/Zydeco, but that's a little hard to find even out here. Also look in to the Starlight Ballroom and Dockers

Hi!

First, Skyliner, thanks for the warm welcome to my introductory post.

I said I had some questions about Greenville. I hope I'm in the right section of this forum. Coming from Los Angeles, it will be a different environment in many ways. I'm not so concerned about the cultural environment as much as the weather.

I hope you are enjoying our feedback. Let us know of any other questions, comments, or concerns you may have and we'll do our best to answer them. :thumbsup:

I am enjoying the feedback immensely because it's all so positive!

I asked the commute question orginally because I thought for the price range I am in for real estate, living within the city of Greenville would not be an option. But if I could, I would rather live in the city. Well, not IN the city. I mean I want a house with a yard and a little bit of space between me and my neighbors, not a loft in downtown. If anyone knows of a good realtor, please let me know.

Is Greenville growing too quickly? Are you worried that the small-town feel will disappear? I know when I visited Asheville, I chatted with a long-time resident there who spoke with some bitterness about progress destroying the feel of the place. I can't say I blame him, but at the same time, I know it's inevitable. I was just wondering about the locals' perspectives on that.

Is Greenville growing too quickly? Are you worried that the small-town feel will disappear? I know when I visited Asheville, I chatted with a long-time resident there who spoke with some bitterness about progress destroying the feel of the place. I can't say I blame him, but at the same time, I know it's inevitable. I was just wondering about the locals' perspectives on that.

For a nice piece of property with land, a decent 2-3 bedroom house, easy access to city amenities, and adequate shopping nearby, I strongly suggest the Powdersville area. I have family living there and have been amazed at the ease of the commute into/out of town. The neighborhoods are nice and people are pleasant. It has become one of the more important bedroom communities of the Greenville metro, although recently, several others are experiencing steady growth. For more info, I would look here, here, here, and here.

As you will find in every growing city, Greenville's locals do fear the loss of the "small town" charm we enjoy today, however there are measures in place to ensure new developments within the city and around the Upstate do not destroy the high quality of life we love. Of course, time will tell all as to whether the growth will overtake the charm of this place. My guess is that will not happen, since our community leaders have a solid vision in place to direct the future of the region. One of the methods used to direct the future is the Vision2025 forum. Here is a link to that document. (Adobe Acrobat PDF format) Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Archived