Lake Norman Urbanization and Projects

rjp212

speaking of Birkdale Village the developers have scaled back their redevelopment efforts after pushback.  My thoughts are a hotel would be a great addition to the project but now dropped.

""The Cincinnati-based developer submitted revised plans for its rezoning application on Jan. 20. The amended plan removes a 125-room hotel and 350 multifamily units from the $275 million project, says Tim Perry, managing partner at NAP.

Cutting those pieces would leave nearly 152,500-square feet of existing retail and commercial space in place along Townley Road, where tenants including Dick’s Sporting Goods and Girl Supply are located.

What remains is a roughly $80 million-to-$90 million project that stands to add 150,000 square feet of urban workplace and 25,000 square feet of commercial and retail space. A 450-space parking deck is also planned, which will be more conveniently located, Perry says. Those spaces will be available for public use after work hours and on the weekends —the busiest times at the center.""
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/01/24/north-american-properties-birkdale-village.html

they say later in the story they may come back later for a hotel conference center concept.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:23 AM, KJHburg said:

speaking of Birkdale Village the developers have scaled back their redevelopment efforts after pushback.  My thoughts are a hotel would be a great addition to the project but now dropped.

""The Cincinnati-based developer submitted revised plans for its rezoning application on Jan. 20. The amended plan removes a 125-room hotel and 350 multifamily units from the $275 million project, says Tim Perry, managing partner at NAP.

Cutting those pieces would leave nearly 152,500-square feet of existing retail and commercial space in place along Townley Road, where tenants including Dick’s Sporting Goods and Girl Supply are located.

What remains is a roughly $80 million-to-$90 million project that stands to add 150,000 square feet of urban workplace and 25,000 square feet of commercial and retail space. A 450-space parking deck is also planned, which will be more conveniently located, Perry says. Those spaces will be available for public use after work hours and on the weekends —the busiest times at the center.""
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/01/24/north-american-properties-birkdale-village.html

they say later in the story they may come back later for a hotel conference center concept.  

This is what happens when people choose to be asinine and shortsighted when a existing development being redeveloped should be mixed uses and offer residential density in an already developed area. You want to sustain a community be pushing for higher density into an area adjacent to proposed transit corridor. 

Watch they will come to regret this change when the the I-77 North BRT is constructed and forces residental and higher development density.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Leaving aside other considerations, is the food at Cheesecake Factory equivlaent to shopping Mall food elsewhere? Is there a competitor i could judge it against since I have never been to the Factory. (I went to the Spaghetti Factory in 1971 in San Francisco and I think it was acceptable)

I'll fight anyone who thinks Linda's Fudge Cake from CF isn't one of the best chocolate cakes out there.  I've never liked cheesecake and nothing else from their menu is memorable to me (maybe some avocado egg roll thing) but I can't recall having a bad meal there.  But the menu really is Big. 

• Like 3

My household historian tells me some years ago we were traveling with another coupe and there was a discussion of dinner options and we knew little to nothing of the choices near us and Factory was close enough so we went there. I have no memory of this which outs me as a Cheesecake factory customer and a forgettable experience which i think matches the pattern.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:49 PM, kayman said:

This is what happens when people choose to be asinine and shortsighted when a existing development being redeveloped should be mixed uses and offer residential density in an already developed area. You want to sustain a community be pushing for higher density into an area adjacent to proposed transit corridor. 

Watch they will come to regret this change when the the I-77 North BRT is constructed and forces residental and higher development density.  

Unfortunately the developer was up against a small but incredibly loud NIMBY contingent and the local politicians gave every indication of not supporting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:00 AM, Nathan2 said:

Unfortunately the developer was up against a small but incredibly loud NIMBY contingent and the local politicians gave every indication of not supporting.  

The majority of voters in Huntersville should vote out these cowards next election cycle. You can't let NIMBY who encourage more poor planning which will led to the hurting the municipalities need for higher density and quality redevelopment. Also there's a growing need for more affordable and different housing choices in already developed areas like Birkdale Village. 

20 hours ago, kayman said:

The majority of voters in Huntersville should vote out these cowards next election cycle. You can't let NIMBY who encourage more poor planning which will led to the hurting the municipalities need for higher density and quality redevelopment. Also there's a growing need for more affordable and different housing choices in already developed areas like Birkdale Village. 

Your right, though in the past year we have seen a loud and well organized NIMBY group in Huntersville and they are in the ear of the commissioners. This is where we are finding that commissioners are playing politics and don't want to risk any fall out or just plainly fail to realize there is a silent majority in support. 

Birkdale in terms of size of a development is about to be dwarfed by a much larger proposed development soon that will distract the Birkdale NIMBYS for a while. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Birkdale Village is beautiful. I used to go there periodically despite the distance from Ballentyne and Myers Park. I’m considering Huntersville when I move back to Charlotte. It’s beautiful, and you get a lot more bang for the buck than in South Charlotte. The schools aren’t as good as Providence or Myers Park, but that won’t be an issue for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
New Atrium Lake Norman Hospital in Cornelius has been approved by the town.  
""Atrium Health has won rezoning approval from the town of Cornelius to build its new hospital there.
On Monday evening, the town's board of commissioners voted to approve the rezoning for the long-planned project named Atrium Health Lake Norman. Atrium rezoned 35.6 acres at the southwest corner of Westmoreland Road and U.S. Highway 21 for the project, which was approved by state regulators in 2021.
Atrium Health Lake Norman calls for a first phase with a 200,000-square-foot hospital with 38 beds, along with 72,000 square feet of medical office space, according to a site plan available in town documents""
so that will be a Novant hospital at Exit 23 an Atrium hospital at exit 28 and Novant soon LKN Hospital at exit 33
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/03/07/cornelius-atrium-health-lake-norman-rezoning.html

http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2023_03/microsoftteams-image-1_750xx1646-926-1-0.jpg.ff9daf84b24e0f295622339738d2ec56.jpg

I really like this design!
  • Like 3

from Twitter tonight about Birkdale Village rezoning.  NIMYB wins. 

The Town of Huntersville’s board of commissioners has voted 4-2 to deny Birkdale Village’s rezoning request to build a seven story office building and parking deck. The main reason for denial was building height — commissioners worry it would not fit in with the area. 
@wcnc

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I thought this RR track was still active but I guess not look at the pile of gravel.  @kermit can probably speak on this rail line better than me.  I thought trains went all the way up to Mooresville or maybe the trains that go into Mooresville come from the north only.

Can't say I know why NS decided to shut down the tracks to through traffic (it might allow them to pull out any remaining signals and do fewer inspections on the tracks since they are now considered to be spurs).  Trains to Reynolds in Huntersville do come from Charlotte, and any remaining trains to Mooresville come from Barber Junction to the north. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1