Lake Norman Urbanization and Projects

rjp212

Looks like the beach resort in Huntersville is taking the next steps...

Developer files rezoning request for Huntersville beach resort-style project with hotel, homes

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/04/06/huntersville-beach-resort-development-rezoning.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=BN&utm_content=ch&ana=e_ch_BN&j=31087847&senddate=2023-04-06

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They are packing a lot into the old site of the Birkdale golf course driving range.  A 140 room Hilton Garden Inn hotel,  210 apartments and 45,000 sq ft of retail.  My photo coming out of Birkdale Village across the street of the site work being done today. 

https://www.gpartnerscre.com/birkdale-golf-club-mixed-use/

check out the site plan

https://www.gpartnerscre.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/GP-BirkdaleMktgFlyer-4_2020.pdf

20230414_165730.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 1:31 PM, CLTdev18 said:

Looks like the beach resort in Huntersville is taking the next steps...

Developer files rezoning request for Huntersville beach resort-style project with hotel, homes

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/04/06/huntersville-beach-resort-development-rezoning.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=BN&utm_content=ch&ana=e_ch_BN&j=31087847&senddate=2023-04-06

Here is the site plan with the details of this project.  A crystal lagoon with condos, townhomes, SF homes, a hotel, some retail.   Very ambitious project but I think it can work given it so much residential.  

https://www.huntersville.org/DocumentCenter/View/11077/Site-Plan?bidId=

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Oh that's a really fun spot for a brewery. Birkdale has really done an impressive job of crawling its way from basic suburban mall into something of an actual town center.

I think of 2 "urban centers" in the north Meck towns Birkdale Village and downtown Cornelius with its arts center, residential and retail.  Downtown Davidson is great but I think with the Cain Arts center downtown Cornelius is 2nd urban center of the North (Mecklenburg county) 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 9:48 AM, tozmervo said:

Oh that's a really fun spot for a brewery. Birkdale has really done an impressive job of crawling its way from basic suburban mall into something of an actual town center.

I've lived there for 20+ years and I can just about guarantee I've lived a more urban lifestyle than 99% of the people on this board. The improvements are fine, but it's always been pretty great.

• Like 4

On 5/24/2023 at 1:33 PM, jednc said:

I've lived there for 20+ years and I can just about guarantee I've lived a more urban lifestyle than 99% of the people on this board. The improvements are fine, but it's always been pretty great.

https://www.qcnews.com/news/u-s/north-carolina/mecklenburg-county/huntersville/birkdale-village-a-blueprint-for-urban-development-national-organization-says/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The iPhone maker at the time said it was preparing to open another store in the Charlotte area.

What is everyone's best guess as to where this other store might go?  Do you think Apple would consider Uptown/South End too close to the Southpark location?  Other than center city I can only think they may be considering the river district once that gets really up and running several years from now.

Edit: NVM, it just hit me that this one in Brikdale IS the other location in reference to the closed Northlake store.

Edited by go_vertical
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

What is everyone's best guess as to where this other store might go?  Do you think Apple would consider Uptown/South End too close to the Southpark location?  Other than center city I can only think they may be considering the river district once that gets really up and running several years from now.

Edit: NVM, it just hit me that this one in Brikdale IS the other location in reference to the closed Northlake store.

Yes this is Apple talking about the new Birkdale store after they closed Northlake.  They have seem to slowed their Apple stores not sure if we will get another one anytime soon but I know couple years ago they were looking in southend.  

• Like 1

I see that Joey Logano’s huge new development in Huntersville was approved too.

https://www.qcnews.com/news/u-s/north-carolina/mecklenburg-county/joey-logano-backed-development-bringing-modern-design-to-huntersville/amp/

Huntersville has always been one of my favorite parts of the Charlotte area, and the real estate values are really good compared to South Charlotte.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, the new plan removes all of the retail, among other things.

“A Lake Norman developer has significantly trimmed his planned $800 million mixed-used community in Huntersville after months of withering criticism that the project is too massive.

Lagoona Bay Beach Club will no longer include a hotel, convention center, restaurants and other businesses, developer Jake Palillo said on Facebook.

Palillo originally planned a 200-room hotel, a 36,000-square-foot convention center and 210,000 square feet of retail space.

Palillo said he cut the number of homes from 1,182 to 692 and the size of his recreational lagoon from 10 to 8 acres. He removed “all highway commercial” from his plans, “and the 412 condos are gone,” he added.

“Everything else within the Beach club will be staying the same,” Palillo said on Facebook. “We will have 227 single-family and 65 villa/patio homes.”

The part of his property north of Sam Furr Road will have 90 detached patio homes, apartment buildings cut from four to three stories and the number of units from 320 to 300, he said.

The beach club will remain membership-only, he said. But with fewer homes for sale under his latest plan, he expects more memberships to be available to people outside the development “in the surrounding communities.

On Facebook Wednesday night, Palillo told The Charlotte Observer he cut back on the project “because the town board felt it was too much.”

“It’s not a ‘great project’ anymore, but it’s still a really good one,” Palillo said.

By a 6-to-2 vote June 27, the Huntersville Planning Board urged the town Board of Commissioners to reject a rezoning for the 270-acre project off exit 25 of Interstate 77.

The tract is more than five times the size of Huntersville’s iconic Birkdale Village mixed-use community off the other side of the exit. It’s the last large tract along N.C. 73 (Sam Furr Road) in Huntersville that can be developed, Palillo told the Planning Board.

The development is out of character with the area and would further burden already packed roads, the Planning Board agreed.The development would be “a total transformation from a rural corridor into a fully intensified one,” board member Stephen Swanick said in recommending the rezoning be denied. “This is a total revolutionary departure from the 2040 plan,” he said, referring to Huntersville’s long-term growth and development plan.

Palillo said he expects his revisions to delay the Board of Commissioners July 17 vote by several months.

IMG_0918.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1