Georgia's Next Atlanta- Macon....

yerocal

• 1 month later...

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think is on it way of becoming Georgia Next Largest and major city. It has fast growing Warner Robins, Robins AFB, Interstate 75, 475 & 16. Close to atlanta and there is so much Development in Macon. Macon has huge development spawling going on at every end!

-North Macon Projects- Market place at Bass-400,000sq, North Winds square-144,000sq, The Open air Mall- the shoppees at River crossing-750,00sq. lull water Village-284,00sq, Bass plantion, providence town centre and Enclave at New Forysth-20370sq.

-West Macon Projects- Zebulon Rd widen to 4 lanes, Macon 3nd Walmart 2and Lowe's oppus Shoppes and Hotel and apartments developments.

-South Macon Projects- Harltey station retail & commerical, residential developments, Sara less plant, khol's DC, Nicnochi plant

-Downtown Macon Projects- a New convention 4 star hotel, An entire city block in the heart of downtown is about to be redeveloped into retail stores, offices and 7 luxury condominuims,Riverside Development, Terminal Station Project( Greyhound, Train & Macon Transit Head Quarters) The Beall's Hill project which is the largest of its kind in the state outside Atlanta.

-Macon to Atlanta passager rail project.

- Proposed interstate 14

- Plans for the I-75/I-16 interchange

Watch out Columbus, Augusta and Savannah because Macon is working hard to claim number 2 in Georgia.

Any opinions!

well that is impressive, and i say way to go macon. but # 2 i doubt. its the smallest of all the large (relatvely) georgia cities, augusta and columbus have the upper hand at already being larger, but as for development, i'd have to go with savannah going number 2, tho it will take awhile, but i dont think macon or augusta or columbus is actually expanding their downtown like SAV is. thats a big step right their, and hutchinson island development is under way as well. and actually i take back savannah being the best development wise. Brunswick has us all beat hands down with that liberty harbor thing. i just hope brunswick is strong enough not to let that turn it into a resort town.

Lol I hate to burst your hype bubble on Savannh but it obvious that you have not read any of the previous forums but Macon,Columbus and augusta has a lot of Huge expanison projects for there DT areas aswell; Macon has proposed development of commuter rail from Atlanta-macon, huge Commerical & residential development sprawls from atlanta over flow, including the huge developments mentioned above..... Also Macon is not that much smaller than any of the other 2nd tier cities your mentioned, really they all are relatively the same size or has small bit of differences... thats great savannah is expanding it DT area but most of the developments that where proposed in the savannah shows that macon, columbus & augusta has way more huge developments larger than savannah DT projects and brunwick is surely not in there league it maybe in the next 50 years I doubt it......

i never said brunswick was in there league, but the project is the single largest urban development going on in georgia right now. and you are right, macon isnt that much smaller, but it is on its way to becoming and extension of atlanta to the south, and it is really only because of atlanta it is seeing that much development(not saying it wouldnt develop any on its on but you have to admit atl is giving it a big boost). and it sounds like mostly sprawl from what you've said, correct me if im wrong. and the reason i choose savannah on development is not so much whats happening right now, tho the river landing project/ downtown expansion will almost be a new skyline by itself, its that none of the other cities have and island to expand onto as a second downtown.so im not thinking so much as of right now, cus all of them have big projects going on, im just thinking of potential. it will be a tight race, you cant argue that, though.

Yeah you right, all the 2nd tier cites have potential and it will good to see Macon, Columbus, Augusta and Savannah gain development other always in atlanta..... Ga need to have more bigger 2nd tier cites like some other States.....It is very unique that Savannh has the island to expand onto it will probably look like a small NY setup....

Its hard to tell how much development is going on in these cities by just "passing through" because alot of the development is far away from major highways or interstates....as is the case in Savannah and Augusta. Actually, in Augusta, most of the newly built big box centers are going up in Evans, and area at least 3-4 miles from I-20. West Augusta with the Augusta Mall Lifestyle Center expansion is about 3 miles from I-20 (although it is on I-520), and so on. Apart from the large area cleared for The Villages of Riverwatch, it doesnt look like much is going up in Augusta from the Interstate, (although there is alot!)

Its hard to tell how much development is going on in these cities by just "passing through" because alot of the development is far away from major highways or interstates....as is the case in Savannah and Augusta. Actually, in Augusta, most of the newly built big box centers are going up in Evans, and area at least 3-4 miles from I-20. West Augusta with the Augusta Mall Lifestyle Center expansion is about 3 miles from I-20 (although it is on I-520), and so on. Apart from the large area cleared for The Villages of Riverwatch, it doesnt look like much is going up in Augusta from the Interstate, (although there is alot!)

• 4 months later...
It means that the city seem to move at a slower pace, meaning people may drive slower, growth areas aren't developing more city-like strutures or the appeareances of the city feels more like a small town and than like a larger . what is being said is that Macon seem to or feels larger or like its moving on a faster pace than the cities compared which mean it could be host of the things i mention previously..

What makes a city seem slower

slower driver

small town vibes

small town strutures/appearances

the way people communicate

just as you would compare NYC to ATLANTA, NYC moves at a much much much faster than atlanta in a host of ways. this is just an example what i'm talking its not thst hard to understand..

It's my opinion so what makes it false? I've been to several places and if someone in Augusta or Savannah says it feels faster than Macon there then I have no problem because I can understand where they are coming from. But Columbus? I've been all over here ( Macon Rd,Milgen,Victory,Veterans,Allen Pkwy,Buena Vista Rd,St. Marys,185) and from riding around the city it just doesn't feel as fast as Macon it feels slower. Clubs are worse too. The only thing I stated is that some of these population facts can be misleading. Coming to a city of near 200,000 I expected to see a vast difference more on the urban side of things coming to Columbus when fact of the matter is that it isn't. Columbus also has a higher population than Huntsville, Alabama but doesnt feel anywhere near as urban. So yes it can be misleading.

Just because you didn't agree with me doesn't mean you have to BASH me. Respect our differences. I DO NOT LIKE all the people I see on some of these forums calling Macon a dump full of poverty and high crime, but I will not spend time tryin to dispute them because I can understand where they are coming from with those statements.

IMHO, "next" or "baby" Atlanta has nothing to do with identity. Simply a shorthand way of indicating that a particular city -- whether Macon, Columbus or wherever -- is transitioning into a a mini (or micro-mini) urban area with a more diversified economy, population and skyline. No different than calling Atlanta a "baby" or "the next" NYC. Not meant as an official slogan, but descriptive only.

Archived