Georgia's Next Atlanta- Macon....

yerocal

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it would be better IMO if you said the next major city..since Atlanta isn't the only major city in the country.

These cities could grow into big cities but may not be similar to Atlanta but maybe other major cities. For example if Macon and Augusta grew into extremely large metros I would think they would more resemble the Dallas Ft. Worth area than Atlanta.

Please explain your facts. Very few cities in history!!!???

The city of Atlanta has 490,000 people and its growth has been pretty flat over the past few decades. In the scheme of things this isn't a large city nor a particularly fast growing city.

If you are referring to the metropolitan Atlanta which has grown in leaps and bounds, then you are talking about same suburban sprawl that plagues most of the South and much of America. I am not sure this is much to brag about in my book, but suburban Los Angeles, Chicago, South Florida, Texas all have numbers for this that easily exceed Atlanta in history. It's an endless sea of culdesac neighborhoods, big box retail, regional malls and super highways.

The point of all of this is that such curt dismissals of every other city in the South, based solely on how much of anyplace USA is is encompassed by a commuting area, is not really a correct thing to do. I can tell you that most cities in the South, do not live in Atlanta's shadow and most say they don't want to reproduce what has happened there, though most seem hell bent on reproducing the same mistakes.

I am going to hope that we can continue this topic, which seems to be a statewide discussion on the growth of Macon, without any further boosterism or one-liners that really serve no purpose. I encourage everyone to refer to our rules as to what should constitute a good discussion on this site.

Macon's growth is creating a demand for more retail. Macon basically has only had one major retail option and that is Macon Mall. But as the growth has marched northward developers are trying to keep up with demand.

Macon will be getting two lifestyle centers, The River Shoppes featuring dinning options and major national retailers along with department stores Dillard's and Belk. A third pad was poured for Macy's but due to Macy's parent company's buyout of the May Co. stores, they encured alot of debt and have said it will be awhile before they build a new store.

Then there is North Macon Town Centre which will feature even more national retailers, along with some residential development. And finally Macon has it's first big box "power center" located north of the Macon Mall.

Then keep in mind of Macon's proximity to Atlanta and some state officials believe that if in fact Atlanta needs a second airport, that Macon would be the obvious choice as it sits in the heart of Georgia and there is interstate access between the two cities with talk of building commuter rail to connect the two cities.

I think that being close to Atlanta has helped Macon to grow, but then Augusta has grown even faster being Georgia's second largest metro area, and going through a building boom also with retail additions, housing, and freeway additions and improvements.

I don't see any of Georgia's cities being the next Atlanta, but I do see them in their own growth revolution and possibly memicing some of the things that any large urban metro area has.

Macon is not the "next Atlanta" but it is Atlanta. This is AMAZING, Atlanta sprawl movement is soo strong its taking over whole cities. I wonder if Columbus is too big for the sprawl to take them. :dontknow:

The Augusta to Savannah highway is almost done, like 80%. What happens when two major Georgia cities share the Savannah river, South Carolina and independence from Atlanta finally link together? Eastern Georgia Empire! :dontknow:

Macon is not the "next Atlanta" but it is Atlanta. This is AMAZING, Atlanta sprawl movement is soo strong its taking over whole cities. I wonder if Columbus is too big for the sprawl to take them. :dontknow:

The Augusta to Savannah highway is almost done, like 80%. What happens when two major Georgia cities share the Savannah river, South Carolina and independence from Atlanta finally link together? Eastern Georgia Empire! :dontknow:

Well maybe you could be half the way right, but Macon has had some plans that has been in the work for years now to lore more business and commercial development into this area and on top of that it proximity to Atlanta just helps completes Macon’s objective. Regardless what is causing so development in this area whether it from Atlanta or something Macon has done, it’s always great for this area and with some of the future plans for this area’s I feel will help Macon metro became another hot spot in Georgia for growth & opportunities other than Atlanta….Macon may never become as large or successful as Atlanta but I think that it is well under way of making another big impact on Georgia’s economy as Atlanta has..

With a river and partners across the river growth would happen rapidly.( Augusta and Aiken or Savannah and Hilton Head) North Augusta will soon out grow Aiken once the Palmetto Pkwy is developed. The Savannah RiverParkway will affect Hephzibah, Waynesboro and Statesboro, one of the three has a major university. Im not worried about the infill.

I just haven't seen any evidence that any of the second tier cites have made any great strides to distance themselves from the others. I see them all growing about the same in population, economics etc. I think out of all of the second tier cities, Columbus will be adding the most jobs but I don't even think that's going to make much difference in terms of outpacing the other cities.

As a developer, I believe Columbus is pulling away from Georgia's other 2nd tier cities. The Columbus region is creating tens of thousands of new jobs over the next 5+ years. Opelika, AL just reported that 5,000 new jobs will be coming due to the new development called Celebrate Alabama. Opelika is only 20-25 minutes from downtown Columbus. With Aflac, Fort Benning, Kia, Kia's suppliers, Cessna, PCI, and the other spin off jobs, the Columbus region will boom for years to come. Jobs create new development. That is why Columbus will be leader of the 2nd tier cities for years to come in my opinion.

I feel different you are talking developement to come in the future but Macon has had over 5 companies to build operations in macon with in the last year (sara lee, khols DC, bass pro store & DC, nichitci, kellogg and academy sports DC)and more are planned, and as we speak macon is seeing over 1.4 millions sq ft of retail development just in the south macon and that's not including the 3-4 million sq ft in north macon which is still climbing with more propsed development... so just think if macon is experiencing that much development now when columbus finally start to work on this up coming talk of development in the next five years what do you think will be the case in macon.. No way i really don't see columbus pulling away from any of the 2nd tier now or in the future... not only is macon experiencing so much development Warner Robins a city of 50-60,000 people with also very large AF base as well which also has just as much development going as as macon and is only 15-20 min from DT Macon.... so think about with Macon and warner robins combine there no way you can say the columbus area will be leader of the 2nd tier cities....and if macon is chosen for the 2nd airport location all the 2nd tier cities will be behind macon because that would draw even more development and growth....you are a developer you should know that....lol but it great columbus is doing well though..

Sorry, I don't see any of the 2nd Tier cities "pulling away" even if Macon does get another airport. I've gotta say, my town isn't doing too bad considering the fact Savannah metro is mainly based upon Savannah. The same could not be said for Macon which has Warner Robins, which I would consider to be another major city (though not 2nd tier yet). Even when Warner-Robins and Macon were a combined metro, Savannah metro was not too far behind. We even continue to grow at a pace that surprises the heck out of me for "slowvannah"(for reasons I don't understand). In all fairness, I think, in the nearer future, Macon and Savannah metro (let's just pretend that Macon is still Macon-Warner Robins metro) will keep up with each other(though, from what I remember reading somewhere, we and Augusta lead in % population increases for 2nd tier cities. This may change though), Augusta will still have the population "advantage", and there is no telling what Columbus will do, but under the conditions that I stated, I believe Columbus metro is a slight bit behind Savannah and Macon in population.

Archived