Georgia's Next Atlanta- Macon....

yerocal

Ive driven both 95 and 75 numerous....and I mean numerous times in south Georgia, and to me it seems that 75 is busier. Maybe its because of Atlanta?

I agree about Savannah. It is going to be HOT in the next decade or so...actually already is. Its been estimated by some that coastal Georgia will gain nearly a million residents over the next 2 decades. That is HUGE for an area only 100 miles long and with one of the lowest coastal populations on the East Coast.

Florida is moving up South Georgia....better watch out!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ive driven both 95 and 75 numerous....and I mean numerous times in south Georgia, and to me it seems that 75 is busier. Maybe its because of Atlanta?

I agree about Savannah. It is going to be HOT in the next decade or so...actually already is. Its been estimated by some that coastal Georgia will gain nearly a million residents over the next 2 decades. That is HUGE for an area only 100 miles long and with one of the lowest coastal populations on the East Coast.

Florida is moving up South Georgia....better watch out!

I-75 is heavier traffic in Georgia than 95. What difference does it make? The 75 corridor in GA is because of metro Atlanta---almost continuously at least six lanes of traffic from Tenn. to Fl. (Though obviously tourists from the Midwest and Atlanta getting to Florida) Macon will benefit from that as it is more like the 85 corridor in NC. 95's main traffic consists of Yankees getting to Florida.

I like Savannah, and I'm glad the port is doing so well.

Personally, I think all the Georgia cities will show strong growth. Although right now, the Fulton County Daily Report identifies Savannah as being the non-metro Atlanta Georgia city with the strongest growth.

Yeah, but don't forget that Augusta is far ahead of us. I mean, seriously, what are the chances of catching them(considering that they continue to grow) when we are confined to an MSA consisting of 3 counties.(it seems that the other major Ga. metros outside of Atlanta have over 3 counties). It doesn't look good competing with a metro already quite a bit larger than we in population and has a slight bit more leverage because it has one more county than us. If we ever close a 200,000 person gap, it'll be a while from now.

Hey this is in regard to a couple of Columbus guys. Just being real. I'm from Macon but i go to school in Columbus. I'm young and go out at night. In terms of Speed/Feel of the city...nightlife.....Macon Crushes Columbus in that manner. Again I add.....Columbus almost has 200,000 people....what other hub city in America with almost 200,000 people has no skyline, "1" horrible mall...and only 1 bypass lookin interstate(I-185)

Most of you guys must be old. Columbus isn't hot for a young man's nightlife

Hey this is in regard to a couple of Columbus guys. Just being real. I'm from Macon but i go to school in Columbus. I'm young and go out at night. In terms of Speed/Feel of the city...nightlife.....Macon Crushes Columbus in that manner. Again I add.....Columbus almost has 200,000 people....what other hub city in America with almost 200,000 people has no skyline, "1" horrible mall...and only 1 bypass lookin interstate(I-185)

Being on the other side of the state, I don't get down to Columbus much (in fact I've never been). But Columbus is mentioned a lot in the news up here and it seems as though the city is doing a lot of things right. I've heard really good things about CSU and what's happening with downtown. To me, Columbus is only now starting to see its potential realized.

Being on the other side of the state, I don't get down to Columbus much (in fact I've never been). But Columbus is mentioned a lot in the news up here and it seems as though the city is doing a lot of things right. I've heard really good things about CSU and what's happening with downtown. To me, Columbus is only now starting to see its potential realized.

I am not going to start a boosterism here, but I think you are full of crap. I live in Athens and go to UGA. I compare Columbus nightlife to Athens nightlife. Columbus is catching up with Athens....no joke. Will it ever be like Athens...more than likely not, but Columbus does have a good downtown scene. You are probably not over 21 anyways. I totally agree with Gah statement! Too bad Macon doesn't have the quality companies that Columbus has..oh well, we all can't be winners.

I am not going to start a boosterism here, but I think you are full of crap. I live in Athens and go to UGA. I compare Columbus nightlife to Athens nightlife. Columbus is catching up with Athens....no joke. Will it ever be like Athens...more than likely not, but Columbus does have a good downtown scene. You are probably not over 21 anyways. I totally agree with Gah statement! Too bad Macon doesn't have the quality companies that Columbus has..oh well, we all can't be winners.

When this forum was created is was not mind set to say that macon is comparable or will ever be the same as Atlanta, it was only speaking that Ga does not have but 1 major or large cities compared to other states. The purpose of this forum was to see what people's idea and thoughts where on macon becoming a another hot spot in Ga like atlanta has become due to the tremidus grow and companies from all over annoucing projects in macon from Commuter rail, commerical, airport projects and residential living) it seem that every one has mis under stood this forum and has took it to another level which was not endended. I think the problem is that a lot of you don't have you facts together about macon and has been misinformed but macon is experiencing a huge boom of growth not just in a shopping center or condos but in large scale housing developments, town size commerical projects, highway expanisons, and etc. its obvious that macon is head to another level and it time that you guys come out of denial and realize the potential of macon and give macon it props. because actions speak louded than words, and pretty soon macon's boom will start show outside it borders and you will see that alot of your information in out dated and macon is moving closer to becoming a another hot spot for growth and opportunties in Ga.

When this forum was created is was not mind set to say that macon is comparable or will ever be the same as Atlanta, it was only speaking that Ga does not have but 1 major or large cities compared to other states. The purpose of this forum was to see what people's idea and thoughts where on macon becoming a another hot spot in Ga like atlanta has become due to the tremidus grow and companies from all over annoucing projects in macon from Commuter rail, commerical, airport projects and residential living) it seem that every one has mis under stood this forum and has took it to another level which was not endended. I think the problem is that a lot of you don't have you facts together about macon and has been misinformed but macon is experiencing a huge boom of growth not just in a shopping center or condos but in large scale housing developments, town size commerical projects, highway expanisons, and etc. its obvious that macon is head to another level and it time that you guys come out of denial and realize the potential of macon and give macon it props. because actions speak louded than words, and pretty soon macon's boom will start show outside it borders and you will see that alot of your information in out dated and macon is moving closer to becoming a another hot spot for growth and opportunties in Ga.

Everyone on here probably means well. But the thing is, people on here think (for whatever reason) that they're city is somehow unique. "Oh look, we're getting another TGIF restaurant. I bet Home Depot is coming!!! " And you think, "wow, this can't be happening in ________." For me, all of the second-tier cities in Georgia are growing like those turtles off the Comcast commerical---you know, the Slowsky's.

If you want to see rapid growth with progressive leadership head up to the 85 corridor of North Carolina. What makes those cities so different? Can we change our fate? Or is it destiny that we're to remain lame?

Those are the questions I want answered. Too many people on here simply find out an interesting fact about their city, and then post it believing it makes their city special. Face it, we're not that different. Savannah get's to be different, because, well, it is different. But even then, it's not that different. Augusta is probably more eccentric, Columbus is more corporate, and Macon has more lawyers. But other than that, we're really all in the same boat.

Everyone on here probably means well. But the thing is, people on here think (for whatever reason) that they're city is somehow unique. "Oh look, we're getting another TGIF restaurant. I bet Home Depot is coming!!! " And you think, "wow, this can't be happening in ________." For me, all of the second-tier cities in Georgia are growing like those turtles off the Comcast commerical---you know, the Slowsky's.

If you want to see rapid growth with progressive leadership head up to the 85 corridor of North Carolina. What makes those cities so different? Can we change our fate? Or is it destiny that we're to remain lame?

Those are the questions I want answered. Too many people on here simply find out an interesting fact about their city, and then post it believing it makes their city special.

Those are the questions I want answered. Too many people on here simply find out an interesting fact about their city, and then post it believing it makes their city special. Face it, we're not that different. Savannah get's to be different, because, well, it is different. But even then, it's not that different. Augusta is probably more eccentric, Columbus is more corporate, and Macon has more lawyers. But other than that, we're really all in the same boat.

Apt observation. Georgia 2d tier cities do all tend to be somewhat provincial/insular. Because Atlanta sucks most of the oxygen out of the state, we (and I do not exclude myself) do seem to get unduly excited about even the littlest, pissant fact which is then trumpted as "progress." I doubt that that will change anytime soon. The difference between Georgia and NC is that the powers that be have determined that Atlanta is the engine which runs the state and --for that reason -- subscribe to the "trickle down" theory -- What is good for Atlanta will (ultimately) be good for Augusta, Macon, Columbus, etc. So I dont believe it is "destiny" that renders us lame, but unless and until we break the cycle of "promote Atlanta and the rest of teh state will follow" I fear things wont change much. We settle for crumbs and tout when we grab one, because that is what we are used to. We (Augusta, Macon, Columbus, Savannah, etc) need to be aiming higher (KIA is an example of a really big deal outside traditional metro boundaries) and stop settling for afterthoughts as our due. Obviously a David vs. Goliath matchup, but so long as we think that we have to be treated as step-children, we will continue to be treated as such. Think we need a Marshall Plan for non-metro Atlanta Georgia comparable to that used to revitalize Europe afrer WWII -- incentives to build/develop anywhere (HA! Even Augusta, Macon or Savannah, etc!) BUT metro Atlanta. It's the pre- Civil War scenario all over again, with Atlanta taking the part of the developed North (Georgia) at the expense of the less-developed South (Georgia).

I hear this oftentimes....how Atlanta seems to get the lion's share of Georgia's attention.

I would be curious to see if this scenario could work....

What it the area known as the CSA of Atlanta could form it's own tax district. It would be separate from all the other parts of Georgia. All the taxes collected in this district would go strictly to running this area. Taxes that are collected in other parts of Georgia could not be used for the Atlanta CSA Tax District and vice versa. This way you guys won't feel like step-children. The statehouse could take the money that is collected from taxes of the rest of Georgia and use it only on improvements to those areas outside of the Atlanta CSA District. Georgia has 9,400,000 people...of which 5,400,000 live in the Atlanta CSA District. That's an almost even split.

I feel that enough attention is not given to greater Atlanta. Greater Atlanta brings constant national and international attention to the state of Georgia. Why is MARTA that largest public transportation system in the country that does not recieve state help? I'm not trying to put the Atlanta CSA District against the rest of Georgia but coming from a resident of the Atlanta CSA District, I feel that Atlanta is oftentimes used as the golden goose. Well if you want more golden eggs, you better provide all the amenities necessary to keep the goose laying eggs.

I would like for any Georgia forumer to name one none metro Atlanta politician who is pro Atlanta. All I need is one? What the Atlanta CSA District has become is because of the district itself....not the statehouse. Local politicians from Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth, etc., go a long way in promoting themselves. Perhaps I took this post the wrong way but it makes my skin crawl when I hear someone outside of Atlanta say "Atlanta sucks most of the oxygen out of the state." If anything Atlanta breathes life into the state....

I hear this oftentimes....how Atlanta seems to get the lion's share of Georgia's attention.

I would be curious to see if this scenario could work....

What it the area known as the CSA of Atlanta could form it's own tax district. It would be separate from all the other parts of Georgia. All the taxes collected in this district would go strictly to running this area. Taxes that are collected in other parts of Georgia could not be used for the Atlanta CSA Tax District and vice versa. This way you guys won't feel like step-children. The statehouse could take the money that is collected from taxes of the rest of Georgia and use it only on improvements to those areas outside of the Atlanta CSA District. Georgia has 9,400,000 people...of which 5,400,000 live in the Atlanta CSA District. That's an almost even split.

I feel that enough attention is not given to greater Atlanta. Greater Atlanta brings constant national and international attention to the state of Georgia. Why is MARTA that largest public transportation system in the country that does not recieve state help? I'm not trying to put the Atlanta CSA District against the rest of Georgia but coming from a resident of the Atlanta CSA District, I feel that Atlanta is oftentimes used as the golden goose. Well if you want more golden eggs, you better provide all the amenities necessary to keep the goose laying eggs.

I would like for any Georgia forumer to name one none metro Atlanta politician who is pro Atlanta. All I need is one? What the Atlanta CSA District has become is because of the district itself....not the statehouse. Local politicians from Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth, etc., go a long way in promoting themselves. Perhaps I took this post the wrong way but it makes my skin crawl when I hear someone outside of Atlanta say "Atlanta sucks most of the oxygen out of the state." If anything Atlanta breathes life into the state....

Lady Celeste --

Makes absolutely no sense for Atlanta CSA to form its own tax district and keep its own tax receipts. The bulk of wealth is in that area. The proposal would leave 1/2 of the tax base with considerably less than 1/2 of the taxable assets. Would be like Atlanta, having already won the lottery, decides to stop buying tix to fund a future pot for other potential winners.

As for pro-Atlanta politicians -- how about former Speaker Murphy? He is responsible for WCC among other facilities. And Gov Purdue backing Atlanta against downstream Ga cities in the water wars? Morever, considering that a majority (or near majority) of legislators are Atlanta-centric there is no need for non-Metro support. Are there any Atlanta politicos who are pro "other" Ga? As noted Atlanta pols look out for themselves first (as they probably should)

Of course Atlanta is a child of the statehouse. One only has to look at the map to see that practically all interstates converge here with Macon-Savannah the only exception. The GDOT designed the interstate system so that all traffic in the state funnels thru Atlanta. That decision was made at the state level and it has everything to do with why Atlanta has grown at the expense of other Ga cities. Granted, Atlanta was already a center of transport etc when that decision was made, but it reenforced it to the detriment of the remainder of the state.

MARTA does not (and should not) get state funds because it is not a state project. Should the state fund the bus system in Columbus or other 2d tier cities? I think not.

Atlanta brings national and international attention to -- itself. The rest of the state derives little from Atlanta's location here other than proximity to the usual big city amenities and the airport. I find (having lived here in Atlanta for almost 40 years) that the city prides itself on NOT being a part of Georgia but being a Separate enclave. Which I attibute to a sort of inferiority complex. Striving to be like NYC or LA, rather than feeling comfortable with its own culture and ethos. So Atlanta has achieved its goal of emulating NYC -- becoming provincial and insular from its "unwashed and unsophisticated" neighbors.

Atlanta does suck most of the oxygen out of the state -- meaning that it monopolizes the growth and the elements and infrastructure that lead to growth. As the largest city by far, it should get the lion's share. But it get that and then some.

The suggestion that the Atlanta vs. "other Georgia" divide is based on the "one factor" of race is -- well, ridiculous (to use polite language). It has everything to do with economics -- the haves and have-nots. I think that if you look at the stats, Columbus has a higher % of "those black people" than Atlanta. Not sure but that may also well be true for other 2d-tier cities as well. It is always a dangeorus exercise to conflate one's own personal experience into a generality.

Atlanta does suck most of the oxygen out of the state -- meaning that it monopolizes the growth and the elements and infrastructure that lead to growth. As the largest city by far, it should get the lion's share. But it get that and then some.

The suggestion that the Atlanta vs. "other Georgia" divide is based on the "one factor" of race is -- well, ridiculous (to use polite language). It has everything to do with economics -- the haves and have-nots. I think that if you look at the stats, Columbus has a higher % of "those black people" than Atlanta. Not sure but that may also well be true for other 2d-tier cities as well. It is always a dangeorus exercise to conflate one's own personal experience into a generality.

This is the point of Lady Celeste's post. The Atlanta economy contributes far more to the state taxes than it recieves in state projects. That's a fact.

And the idea that Atlanta grows at the expense of the rest of GA is false. People and businesses moving to Atlanta from other states and other countries are not choosing between Atlanta and Macon or Atlanta and Columbus.

The state does a lot to promote the rest of the state economically but the burden is on GA's other cities to make themselves as attractive as possible. But I question whether GA's other cities have a vision for what they want to be or if they even want to be much larger than they are.

I think most of the people that live in these communities enjoy living in small towns which I do not think is "lame".

Archived