SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

This is in preparation for a presumed SkyHouse II, correct?

This is where it gets confusing. The 2 floors of underground parking seems to be included on the Tryon Frontage. At least that is what the new map would suggest. We will have to wait until new Site Plan comes out to find out whats going on. I'm very very confused by it all. 

I agree, it seems like they are full steam ahead on the current building but the rest of the site is in complete limboland. And we still haven't really gotten an answer on what is going to happen with the old Days Inn have we? I know it has been discussed with ideas and rumors, but there's nothing concrete is there?

:good:

They've reached out to Publix about located at 9th and Church. Here's to making that work!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/developers-interested-in-grocery-store-next-to.html?page=all

If they get Publix to commit there, then I'd think that parcel on the back side of the NC Dance theatre just became the site of the next mega residential building.  What an amenity.  Personally, I'd rather see it across Tryon along College on the Hal Marshall site, because I think you cover more of a residential population within 1/4 mile there, but that site redevelopment is many years away.

I wonder how it works with Levine being a part of all the Publixes to be built here.  Grubb would seemingly be competing for a Publix with Levine's own property.  Although it could possibly work in favor of it going to the Skyhouse block as it would help lift his property value even more without him doing anything, so he can still land bank, but be adjacent to yet another great thing.  

I agree about one of the [would be] 4 blocks of Hal Marshall would be perfect as it would be at the station itself, as well as help to anchor the newly built 10th Street and Market Street along the tracks that is theoretically supposed to be a retail location.  It would also have the ability to be initially supported by all the surface parking there, then transition to more residents as those get developed.  

But the fact that Grubb is making things happen and has some ambition for Skyhouse block is awesome.   

So something like this would make sense. It'd be like the Ally Bank, Catalyst, Mint St Apartments Complex.

attachicon.gifLayout.jpeg

Wanted to repost this, because I think this is how everything is going to turn out after all! Edited by Guest

Haha, thanks. I personally get giddy when atlrvr and ProDev post something. I'm happy something is coming of this speculation, because it's a great fit for the city, and is a great catalyst for an area that is gaining a reputation for being "unsafe and unsavory." 725 residences, 250k of office, 20k retail, and a 50k sq foot flagship urban grocery store will do a lot to revitalize the area. The only thing missing is a hotel built on top of the publix. Hopefully this all pans out.

Edited by Guest

That is clearly the layout they are going with, making every bit of sense, as the internal street parallel to Tryon cuts through there, and presuming they will retain the office building plot exactly as they have planned, this would be the remaining parcel location.   

Maybe this was all discussed before when I was traveling, but that section measures ~155'x180', so only 28000sf.  That is about half of the SouthEnd store size, but about right if they use their 2 story floor plan as noted before.   Maybe a consolation prize, though, would be to get a 28ksf store, that is still 30% larger than the 6th St HT.   Obviously the desire would be that they see the future growth potential and build a full size store.    

I think Publix would be a huge catalyst for retail, in particular for the skyhouse retail locations that I think would otherwise struggle, due to the fact that Publix is a destination and would be a magnet for shoppers.

I think it's becoming quite clear where the momentum for a retail corridor is going to be. Tryon & College from Trade to 10th or 11th. Too bad Iveys isn't on board