SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Ugg... it has radiator fins. WTF it's not that difficult to decouple the balconys. Maybe they'll put some R-11 paint on 'em.

When will people stop doing stupid stuff?  oh well at least they are building these all over the country so they aren't likely to get an architecture award.

Mightbe a stupid question but what's a radiator fin?

I was so happy to return after a month and see it jump up to 18 stories and have construction fencing around the old Days Inn!  Given that this is my neighborhood, it is a major coup to have Days Inn near demise.  

I know it is pretty well established that the land would be used for a second SkyHouse, but I still secretly hope those old Publix rumors jump out and become reality.   Still, a second SkyHouse will be a good thing for the area and the neighborhood. 

• Like 1

^What would you think of Publix remodeling the former Sears building that is currently the County's Hal Marshall Center?

Personally, I'd be torn between gaining a new grocer via relatively green adaptive reuse, yet retaining an auto-oriented break in the ever-stretching N Tryon streetscape.

Edited by southslider

They're about the raise the crane today to finish off the last 6 floors.  I'm surprised work hasn't begun on the parking deck yet.

I can't believe they only have 6 floors left. This thing shot up so fast, it is quite impressive. If you look on the webcam you can see what looks like a ton of metal drums (or trash cans) in the old Days Inn pool, anyone know what those are?

Edited by Jayvee

If it is a pre-fab deck, they'll be able to finish it before the interior is finishing in the tower. Those things don't take long to put up.

That's what I figured, plus it's possible they are increasing the footprint of the deck slightly to be on the Days Inn land or want the deck land to remain staging and build it after a second tower starts in earnest.

I did see, which has probably already been reported, that the parking at Days Inn is just for construction of the Skyhouse.  But it is such a happy happy thing for me upon returning from vacation to see that hotel shut down and nearly gone.  

• Like 1

There is no way there are hotel guests still there.   It has a construction fence around it with "SkyHouse Construction Parking Only" signs at the entry.  No customer would go past that to check into a hotel when there are so many other options.   It is plausible that they are using them temporarily for worker housing if they have migrant workers or as temporary office space, but it seems much more reasonable that it is being visited in and out by professionals planning and inspecting prior to demolition. 

There is no way there are hotel guests still there. It has a construction fence around it with "SkyHouse Construction Parking Only" signs at the entry. No customer would go past that to check into a hotel when there are so many other options. It is plausible that they are using them temporarily for worker housing if they have migrant workers or as temporary office space, but it seems much more reasonable that it is being visited in and out by professionals planning and inspecting prior to demolition.

:) oh wow, webcam was deceiving. I have driven directly by the site in a while

It just occurred to me, but let's say the ultimate development plan for the complete block are 2 Skyhouse apartments, 1 office tower, and the associated parking structures.    Maybe someone already mentioned this in the few pages I hadn't caught up on since vacation, but I had always assumed the original land would remain as they already planned and the second Skyhouse would go on the new Days Inn land.   But what if they build the second SkyHouse at Tryon and 10th and leave the entire Days Inn property for future development.   

In theory, they would then be able to use the Days Inn building for construction offices, parking, and temporary sales center for the entirety of the timeline to build both SkyHouses.   It would also give them the entire Days Inn parcel for a larger office building, a full size Publix, or any other Phase II development plan that materialized.  

As quickly as I would want to see the non-Days Inn be torn down, this seems far likely considering there has not been seemingly any progress on the office tower component, so why not use the structure in place and the paved parking.  

They're about the raise the crane today to finish off the last 6 floors.  I'm surprised work hasn't begun on the parking deck yet.

This was just filed 2 days ago in Land Use.

Skyhouse Charlotte Revision

This is a revision to the previously approved plans to allow two levels of below grade parking within the deck. As stated previously, this project proposes a 24 story multifamily tower with the parking deck.

Interesting that they would go down instead of wider.  It wouldn't seem like the need the full width of the Center City Inn lot to add another Skyhouse building.  The future site plan of this block seems very interesting.

• Like 2

That's awesome.  It's good also that they are considering the experience of the people living on the lower floors of the apartments, and also the drivers that will be closer to the exit than a taller deck would be.  

I hope they don't remove any street retail to accommodate, but if they do, it wouldn't surprise me, as they would net the same or more in the new towers with ground retail space.  

I know it isn't likely, but I really hope they go with a different color glass for phase II and/or the hypothetical office tower.  Uptown is too full of homogenous shades of blue, concrete, and grey.  I'll count Arlington out as it is part of Southend and too detached from the general skyline.  Yes I know we have a few brick color facades and a few hues of green thrown into the mix; but, all in all, they aren't very noticeable.  I'd love to see some more funky colors on North Tryon as it begins to grow toward NoDa.

• Like 3

^ Pertaining to that thought, I just was at the Atlanta Skyhouse and it has two large neighbors built exactly the same way and seems like way too much dimpled exposed concrete and deep blue plate glass. I believe this to be a fairly inexpensive exterior that just happens to be en vogue with its industrial and clean line feel to it and thats why it keeps getting built this way and there is almost no objection to it. But I wonder how able they are to deviate from this 3-ring-binder plan going up all over the country...? I too think its needed especially where multiple similar structures are going up...

Edited by Jones_

Mightbe a stupid question but what's a radiator fin?

Not a stupid question at all. Think of an old steam heat radiator:

cast-iron-radiator.jpg

Notice that the vertical tubes are fin like almost a flat piece that sticks out from the tube. This is to increase the energy transfer to the air. With the way Skyhouse's balconies are built they will do the exact same thing. In the winter they will radiate heat out to the air, and in the summer they will absorb heat from the air and radiate it back through the floor to the inside of the apartment.

for more info read here: http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi062-thermal-bridges-redux

BTW that link talks about the Aqua Building in Chicago, the architecture firm's response about the radiator fins was we have R-11 paint on the slabs. I'm sorry but R-11 paint does not exist. Aerogel is about the highest insulating product (vacuum panels are much higher, but they are not appropriate really for buildings) you can buy and it is about R-10 per inch, and it's not paint. R-11 paint is either willful ignorance by the architects and builders, or an out right lie to help them meet energy performance requirements.

Likewise the lack of thermal breaks on the balconies for Skyhouse is either willful ignorance by the architect and/or builder or the architects and/or builder do not care about their client. The Thermal breaks are cheap and reduce building operating costs. There is zero reason not to use them.

• Like 1