SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Word on the street in Raleigh is that the construction fence is going up this week and site work begins soon.  But yes, it has been a long time coming.  Especially frustrating that the one in Dallas was announced in August and is already under construction.  And we (Raleigh) are about 16 months into the process after the initial announcement.

I suspect that is just not being aware of the rumor to reality waiting period there, but being aware here.  

Regardless, I would be fine with a typical wait for something to come to fruition if it weren't for the statements in the Spring that permits were granted and that construction was start imminently.   We already have construction fencing up for years because of the previous demolition of Renaissance Place. 

I'm happy to see if it is a matter of expansion of scope, I just worry with the federal government devolving into banana republic incompetence and corruption that something will change in the economy and this project get scrapped.   Hopefully it is just a matter of waiting out the process and they're still focused on making it happen.

• Like 1

I suspect that is just not being aware of the rumor to reality waiting period there, but being aware here.  

Regardless, I would be fine with a typical wait for something to come to fruition if it weren't for the statements in the Spring that permits were granted and that construction was start imminently.   We already have construction fencing up for years because of the previous demolition of Renaissance Place. 

I'm happy to see if it is a matter of expansion of scope, I just worry with the federal government devolving into banana republic incompetence and corruption that something will change in the economy and this project get scrapped.   Hopefully it is just a matter of waiting out the process and they're still focused on making it happen.

its of any consolation... skyhousecharlotte.com has been purchased.

Still funny to me how the Dallas Skyhouse building came out of almost nowhere and they just broke ground last month without any problems. Though, if the revamped plan for two Skyhouse towers here has any legs to it, then that could be a reason for the delay. Would be nice if someone within the know made a statement on what's going on since the project was announced towards the beginning of the year. 

Edited by wend28

If you wanted to be frustrated some more, per the city builing permit site:

Noted on 6/13/2013
CANNOT CLOSE OUT PROJECT SEVERAL HOLDS ON PROJECT. Close Overall Review Cannot close overall review as this project has active permit hold(s). Active Holds Hold Unit Stage Reason Contact Person Status LUESA Commercial Permit Work done without agency permit ISSUED STOP WORK; CONTINUED TO WORK W/O DEMO PERMIT; DBL CHARGE PER BLDG CHF GEORGE ROGERS. Active LUESA Commercial Permit Work done without agency permit DBL CHARGE EAST COAST WRECKING FOR BEGINNING WORK W/O PERMIT AND CONTINUING WORK AFTER STP WRK ORDER ISSUED. PER INSP 124 AND 147 Active LUESA Addressing Permit Conditional Requirement Approved site plan Skyhouse required for permanent address to be assigned.

Looks like work actually did start....I do suspect the hold-up has to do with exploring the acquisition of the motel site, and how that might affect their current building plans.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but i was bored and poking around on aca.accela.com/charlotte and saw that there's still a $72,300.00 storm water mitigation fee outstanding. Perhaps they're still trying to dispute this and is a reason for delay?

Btw -If anyone wishes to pay it by credit card you can. my card limit isnt that high. perhaps another day. 

Edited by yorkconstruct
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The webcam is up for SkyHouse Raleigh (see thread in Triangle) and the N & O reports that construction is to begin in the coming days.

Congrats to Raleigh!!!  Hope SkyHouse Charlotte is not too far behind.

I got word today that SkyHouse in CLT is still a go and they are still trying to close on the land. 

Is there still a possibility of a second tower or was that speculation?

I still think that its a possibility. The speculation was that it would be added as a second phase in the future. There will for sure be an open pad for a second tower fronting Tryon, whether it be a second skyhouse, an office tower or something completely different. The thing about Publix and another office tower was pure speculation, and putting two and two together based on the idea that Days Inn was being purchased. However, since haven't heard anything else about the sale of the Days Inn Land, who knows. Although I have certainly heard that Publix is looking for somewhere to put a flagship, "a jewel in their crown" downtown.

I got word today that SkyHouse in CLT is still a go and they are still trying to close on the land. 

Good news. However, I'm confused then... Per some prior posts, the developers for Skyhouse had started demolition but were told to stop. Is this because they hadn't closed on the land yet? Or something else?

Good news. However, I'm confused then... Per some prior posts, the developers for Skyhouse had started demolition but were told to stop. Is this because they hadn't closed on the land yet? Or something else?

Frankly I'm confused too... LOL. My source more or less heard it straight from the horses mouth, so I trust him.

Edited by Guest

I guess Grubb is scrapping the plan for an office tower at this location in favor of a second residential tower... Newest Project description of this site is as follows...

I am now also confused...I thought the twin towers idea was semi-official, and had already found its way into permitting documentation.

So something like this would make sense. It'd be like the Ally Bank, Catalyst, Mint St Apartments Complex.

attachicon.gifLayout.jpeg

The layout posted would be an awesome site plan, especially if the supposed office space is similar to the old 631 N. Tryon Tower design, retail is added at the bottom of the parking deck, and a TWELVE hotel was constructed above the Publix.  Not likely, but one can imagine.

Edited by cltbwimob

I am now also confused...I thought the twin towers idea was semi-official, and had already found its way into permitting documentation.

The layout posted would be an awesome site plan, especially if the supposed office space is similar to the old 631 N. Tryon Tower design, retail is added at the bottom of the parking deck, and a TWELVE hotel was constructed above the Publix.  Not likely, but one can imagine.

Permitting documentation includes the ability to add another 320 units of apartments. *shrug* I guess we will know once they start construction.

Still a matter of when they will actually start the base tower, if RAL's is to continue first, and they build one at a time with a standard crew then it will be some time still, and RAL's does not appear to have re-commenced.  In fact its odd that they seem to have completed the foundation and abandoned it (stopped by this weekend, took a few pics) at some point.

The developer has barely just started work on Skyhouse Raleigh. The construction fence and webcam both just went up last week. Yesterday is the first day that I can recall seeing heavy equipment on the site.

The apparently abandoned foundation you mention is actually for Charter Square.

They seem to be starting about one every two to six months. There are three not yet started: Charlotte, Tampa, and a third one in Atlanta (Buckhead.)