Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, cityboi said:

Mixed-use development planned for Gate City Motors property on Church Street.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2024/05/02/office-multifamily-restaurants-gate-city-motors.html

Glad to hear something planned for this site, but I’ll be somewhat pessimistic until I see more specifics on what they plan. Trask’s website mainly showcases cookie cutter sprawl type projects, so I’m not yet confident in their ability to deliver an appropriately urban project.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, jthomas said:

Glad to hear something planned for this site, but I’ll be somewhat pessimistic until I see more specifics on what they plan. Trask’s website mainly showcases cookie cutter sprawl type projects, so I’m not yet confident in their ability to deliver an appropriately urban project.

I don't expect anything grand for this site but hopefully it won't look and feel like an isolated development from surrounding properties as we have seen on the west side of downtown with the bank, Arbor House and YMCA. I would like to see something that kinda flows into the Tanger Center and the Greensboro Historical Museum.

Edited by cityboi

Posted (edited)

Emmy award winning production company is moving its headquarters from Los Angeles and Nashville to the former Triad Stage building in downtown Greensboro.

“The company has taken space in the former Triad Stage building in downtown Greensboro and is finalizing construction for its offices, state-of-the-art editing suites and a high-end screening room for clients and artists. The company has also opened its new 6,000-square-foot logistics hubs just minutes away from its downtown headquarters,” the release states"

7 Cinematics produces things like concert films, live-music broadcasts and livestreams sent around the world. They have worked with artists like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Post Malone, John Legend, Dead & Company and Kiss.

The company says the move will allow it to centralize operations and maintain its nearby warehouse/logistics hub filled with production equipment.

The building will serve as a music venue as well which will bring in major music artists like the names mentioned above.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/emmy-winning-production-company-moving-headquarters-to-greensboro-triad-stage-building/

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, cityboi said:

Emmy award winning production company is moving its headquarters from Los Angeles and Nashville to the former Triad Stage building in downtown Greensboro.

“The company has taken space in the former Triad Stage building in downtown Greensboro and is finalizing construction for its offices, state-of-the-art editing suites and a high-end screening room for clients and artists. The company has also opened its new 6,000-square-foot logistics hubs just minutes away from its downtown headquarters,” the release states"

7 Cinematics produces things like concert films, live-music broadcasts and livestreams sent around the world. They have worked with artists like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Post Malone, John Legend, Dead & Company and Kiss.

The company says the move will allow it to centralize operations and maintain its nearby warehouse/logistics hub filled with production equipment.

The building will serve as a music venue as well which will bring in major music artists like the names mentioned above.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/emmy-winning-production-company-moving-headquarters-to-greensboro-triad-stage-building/

This is actually huge news for Greensboro's (and the Triad in general) music scene. It's been lacking for many years.

Edited by AlmaPinnix
  • Like 3

from Business NC about the new film production coming to downtown Greensboro

""A film production company that had facilities in Nashville and Los Angeles has moved its operations to Greensboro.

7 Cinematics, which has won three Emmys, has relocated its headquarters, production and warehouse facilities in the former Triad Stage building in downtown Greensboro. It's finalizing construction for its offices, editing suites and a high-end screening room for clients and artists. The company has also opened a 6,000-square-foot logistics hub.

The company produces a range of content, including concert feature films, live-music broadcasts and livestreams around the world with artists such as Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dead & Company and KISS.

The company’s work has aired on NBC, Direct TV, PBS, CBS, Netflix, YouTube and other streaming platforms. 

A permanent home in Greensboro gives our team more – more time to do what we do best, more creative freedom, more artistic merit and more lifestyle amenities at an affordable price,” said Adam Paul, founder and CEO of 7 Cinematics.

It's a homecoming for Paul and other 7 Cinematics members. In the 1980s, Paul and his friends recorded their skateboarding adventures in downtown Greensboro. 

The former Triad Stage building was purchased for $1.35 million by an investor group earlier this year. The investors include Arthur Samet, Will Stewart, Durant Bell, Jeff Yetter and Daniel McCoy, the Triad Business Journal has reported. They are planning to reopen the main floor of the building as a concert and music venue.

Triad Stage opened its 300-seat theater in 2002 after the former Montgomery Ward building was renovated. The theater group closed last year because of financial problems.""

Here is their website look at whom they have worked with  and yes this is a big thing for Greensboro! 

7 Cinematics | EMMY-Winning Productions

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 9:31 PM, AlmaPinnix said:

This is actually huge news for Greensboro's (and the Triad in general) music scene. It's been lacking for many years.

Yes it is.  From what I have heard they are aiming for a capacity in the 1,000-1,500 range.  Seats in the "bleachers", then standing room on the floor.  It will be awesome if this can pull the type of bands that normally skip Greensboro for the Ramkat in Winston, or Lincoln Theater in Raleigh.  We have a good selection of smaller venues (bars, Hanger 1819, etc), and large ones (Tanger, White Oak, Coliseum) but this middle ground is sorely missing.

I hope they are successful with this.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Main building of the News and Record coming down. With much of the building gone, its amazing how much land it sat on. Whatever is built there, it will be an extremely large development. DGI president Zack Matheny is pushing a similar plan that the Ryan Companies had proposed plus a possible hotel on the site. Hopefully the new developer will still plan some sort of tower or towers. But my hope is that the development will consist of residential, some office (medical/university), a hotel, public Plaza, interior parking and retail along Davie Street with a 3 story row of retail/restaurant buildings similar to the feel of South Elm Street. 

20240516_195100.jpg

20240516_195024.jpg

I would like to see something like this along Davie Street with higher density development (high-rise) on the interior of the site. If they want to see pedestrian activity on Davie Street, the success of South Elm Street needs to be duplicated.

origin-at-downtown-superior-972x1296.png

2151-Broadway-The-Astor-Website-Image-1024x544.png

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

Just south of the N&R Site on Davie are a handful of 3 story row retail buildings with apartments across the street. It would be a nice addition for them to add on to it with the new development.

Some of these retail spots are vacant and would most definitely be revitalized with new development a block away.

daviestredev.JPG

Edited by AlmaPinnix
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

Just south of the N&R Site on Davie are a handful of 3 story row retail buildings with apartments across the street. It would be a nice addition for them to add on to it with the new development.

Some of these retail spots are vacant and would most definitely be revitalized with new development a block away.

daviestredev.JPG

Those were the very few early 20th century buildings on Davie Street that were not demolished or destroyed by fire. Davie Street and Greene Street for that matter use to look like South Elm Street.

As for the News and Record site, it appears that while the Ryan Companies backed out of developing the site their plan in some form or fashion is still moving forward. Here is an excerpt from an article in yesterday's News and Record...

“While the project is moving forward, Ryan Companies is no longer pursuing it,” Erica Dao, a senior public relations manager with the company, said in an email. Dao said she could not provide additional information"

Hopefully the new developers will take the concept plan the Ryan Companies introduced and inprove upon it. Its an extremely large amount of land, the largest downtown development site Greensboro will ever have so a lot can be built on this site and it needs to be done the right way that maximizes pedestrian activity and for once developers need to focus on great urban architectural design an build something bold. The project also should include some form of tower or towers. The skyline hasn't changed much over the last 35 years and there is a desire even from the mayor of Greensboro to build something tall.  And while there isn't demand for a typical large class A office tower, there are potential office uses on other areas like the Ryan Companies proposed such as the medical field and universities.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, P.SAUNDERS said:

It would be nice if Greensboro could do something like Durham and put up a Condos Buildings, one being 27 Stories.  While Greensboro has only 3,330 people living Downtown, Durham has a whopping 23,876 people. I wish we had Durham development vision.

VIEW+02.jpg

One+City+Center+Durham+NC.jpg

I agree with this 100%, no reason why Greensboro can't build more stuff like this.
I have a feeling, it will happen soon!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

I agree with this 100%, no reason why Greensboro can't build more stuff like this.
I have a feeling, it will happen soon!

With the thousands of new high paying jobs on the way, I don't see why they can't build stuff like this. There is a direct corelation between the job market and these type of urban developments we see going up in Durham. There is great demand for residential in downtown Greensboro. There is a waiting list for some apartment complexes. I think its time to go vertical with the residential. We know the demand is there so there is less of a financial risk. The developers need to maximize residential density downtown and they won't do that if they keep building 5 -story developments that are spread out taking up limited downtown real estate. If downtown Greensboro wants to get to 30,000 residents, developers will have to go vertical. Our downtown is too small to get to that number with low-rise residential development.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

The way some Texas cities have done it is by reducing tax rates for new downtown apartments or condos with even more if they add some affordable units.  

I agree Greensboro better get ready there will be a lot more need for housing in the future with all the jobs coming to the area and that includes downtown.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The way some Texas cities have done it is by reducing tax rates for new downtown apartments or condos with even more if they add some affordable units.  

I agree Greensboro better get ready there will be a lot more need for housing in the future with all the jobs coming to the area and that includes downtown.  

Another idea that has been throwed out there is turning downtown Greensboro into a "mega site" where the city would provide incentives for developers to build downtown which would offset the higher expenses of building downtown. But there are other issues that need to be addressed. The incentives would help developers build their own parking structures but the city of Greensboro needs to eliminate all the red tape that runs developers away from downtown. Then there is the issue of ground contamination on a lot of sites downtown. You can bet the News and Record site has some. When sites are identified for development, the city should research all the businesses that occupied those properties over the las 100 years so that developers dont encounter any surprises.  Also no more public private partnerships. We have seen how that has worked out for the Westin. Its clear that the city of Greensboro is not competent  being in the development business. Often the city hinders the progress of development. Roy Carroll had to delay his AC Hotel/Apartment project because of a streetscape construction plan on Eugene Street. The city should have delayed that project. 

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1