Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

Charlotte's 2nd Sprouts has opened in the Steele Creek area.  The store is 25,000 sq ft and perhaps more will be opened in the market like in the NoDa area somewhere.

""Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ: SFM) is set to double down on the Charlotte area.

Sprouts' 24,000-square-foot store in Steele Creek opens at 7 a.m. on Nov. 17. It’s at 14124 Steele Creek Road, across from the RiverGate Shopping Center.  

The new store is roughly 20% smaller than its first Charlotte location. The reduction is largely tied to non-selling areas like backroom spaces.

Sprouts has no immediate plans for expansion in Charlotte, but the spokesperson says the brand is always actively looking throughout the state. It has six stores in North Carolina.""

Sprouts Farmers Market set to open Steele Creek store - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

CBJ has an update on the Southend Lidl:

Lidl’s long-planned South End store is mired in several court actions seeking payment for nearly $5.5 million in construction-related costs.

General contractor Westmoreland Builders has filed for a lien of nearly $3.85 million plus interest, costs and reasonable attorneys’ fees against Lidl U.S. Operations. The complaint in Mecklenburg County Superior Court states the matter arises from materials, labor and equipment provided on the South Boulevard store.

The filing states Lidl failed to make “undisputed payments” as well as failed to issue payments on change orders. “Instead of issuing payment as required pursuant to the contract, (Lidl) terminated the contract with (Westmoreland) by Notice of Intent to Terminate Contractor for Cause on March 30,” it reads.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/12/13/lidl-grocery-charlotte-south-end-legal-action.html

West Charlotte is getting what is promised to be "a full service gorcery store" Three Sisters Market is a co-op,  12,500 sq ft. West Blvd near Clanton. 2901 Romare Bearden Drive

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/12/19/city-council-rezoning-grocery-store-west-side.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

I’m seeing chatter that Sprouts is the grocery store taking the spot in NoDa. Has this been announced on a different page and I missed it?

16 hours ago, gman430 said:

Does this mean they are looking for a GC for this project? I would have expected they would be way further along in the process than just now soliciting bids. But maybe I’m reading the invitation to bid incorrectly.

Edited by sakami

7 minutes ago, sakami said:

I’m seeing chatter that Sprouts is the grocery store taking the spot in NoDa. Has this been announced on a different page and I missed it?

Not announced formally but widely speculated and talked about.  The spot at 36th and N Tryon in the Avery Hall retail spot on the corner. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:01 PM, InSouthPark said:

I decided to look up the Levine / *wink wink* Wegmans rezoning and it looks like it's pretty clear that Wegmans is the plan, if there was any doubt before. 

"Development Area C may be developed with up to 95,000 square feet of gross floor area of office, retail, EDEE, personal service uses, institutional uses, and other non-residential uses as allowed by-right and under prescribed conditions in the MUDD zoning district together with allowed accessory uses."  

https://www.charlottenc.gov/Growth-and-Development/Planning-and-Development/Rezoning/2023/2023-038

Its a Harris Teeter

23 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Its a Harris Teeter

a new Taj MaTeeter?   New Bern has a 100,000 sq ft Teeter of course it is only one in town and I think the one at Rea Farms Village is 90K or so.  

Speaking of Wegmans @CLT Development where is this site plan for the 77  Clanton business park redevelopment?  I can't find anywhere it says 100K sq ft store there.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

a new Taj MaTeeter?   New Bern has a 100,000 sq ft Teeter of course it is only one in town and I think the one at Rea Farms Village is 90K or so.  

Speaking of Wegmans @CLT Development where is this site plan for the 77  Clanton business park redevelopment?  I can't find anywhere it says 100K sq ft store there.  

I mean it doesn't HAVE to say anything but total build includes 330K of retail. 

image.thumb.png.0ed79528f0e3cd66a597f00099d72d52.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I did not say that no, I said something along the lines of "there was a 'pretty dang big looking grocery building' or something." 

Okay I see. I agree that is a lot of retail without an anchor of some sort.  Since Harris Teeter and Publix have stores nearby you have to start guessing others.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Lidl on South Blvd still stalled out.  I don't for the life of me know why Lidl would not hire another contractor to complete this store while still in the lawsuit with the current contractor.   (photos of the Lidl store of course) 

other local grocery news:   Publix updates from Biz Journal:

""And, a second long-awaited store there will open in the first quarter of 2025.

The Lakeland, Florida-based grocer expects to start construction on a 48,000-square-foot store at the Arboretum later this year or early in 2025. It will be at 7933 Providence Road, on the southeast corner of Providence and Pineville-Matthews roads.

Plans for that store were first announced in May 2021.   The grocer also will wrap construction on its long-awaited Carmel Commons store in the first quarter of 2025. That store at 11525 Carmel Commons Blvd. is nearly nine years in the making. It is at the intersection of Carmel and Pineville-Matthews roads. construction continues on a 48,000-square-foot store at Harris Farms in Mooresville. That’s at the northwest corner of Coddle Creek Highway and Kistler Farm Road, near downtown Mooresville.  Glover also says that Publix remains “committed” to adding a store in uptown Charlotte, as well as one at The Colony redevelopment in SouthPark. The grocer plans a 60,000-square-foot store at the southwest corner of Sharon and Colony roads. Publix was named as the anchor tenant at The Colony back in 2020. No timetable was available for that project.""

Publix updates plans for new Charlotte-area stores - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

20240328_111025.jpg

20240328_112759.jpg

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Plans for that store were first announced in May 2021.   The grocer also will wrap construction on its long-awaited Carmel Commons store in the first quarter of 2025. That store at 11525 Carmel Commons Blvd. is nearly nine years in the making. It is at the intersection of Carmel and Pineville-Matthews roads.

Publix updates plans for new Charlotte-area stores - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Thanks! I have been searching out when the Carmel Common Publix was planning to open up and found nothing! 

• Like 1

Stats from the Biz Journal article and the Grocery Market Share Report.

Biggest grocers by market share in the region:

1. Walmart  23%  (plus Sams Club and Walmart Neighborhood Markets would bring this to 30+%

2, Harris Teeter 15.9%

3.  Food Lion 14.6%

4. Publix 10.3%

5. Target 4.2%

How Walmart, Harris Teeter stack up in Charlotte grocery market share - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2

I'm surprised Lidl (2.82% share with 10 stores) has leapfrogged Aldi (2.13% share with 33 stores) despite having a lot less stores. In general they price fairly similarly, but Lidl customers must be buying more items per cart to make up the store gap.

For Publix to be closing in on Food Lion and Harris Teeter with only 26 stores (compared to 103 Food Lions and 60 Harris Teeters) is impressive. 

Food Lion is probably the most vital supermarket for many working class neighborhoods in the city. They provide the only alternative to Walmart or Aldi for many citizens of West and East Charlotte that are avoided by Publix and Harris Teeter and all the boutique / specialty groceries that proliferate South Charlotte and the lake region (Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, et.). 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

Several years ago I made a trip to Aldi for many of our commodities such as sugar, flour canned vegetables, cheddar, milk, and many more. At my return I went the same day to HT for items on my list that were not carried due to the limited stock of Aldi. I checked HT prices for my Aldi goods and used the lowest price item, including any sale discount or store brand or generic for a comparison. Size matches/everything otherwise equal. The difference was Aldi 40% less for identical items. That free service costs money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

People are going to lose their minds. 

Also..... the level of effort in that WBTV article.... repost Instagram... hit publish?

I am going by Wegmans today to celebrate up here in Raleigh! Home of the 4 open NC stores with a 5th one planned in the area. 

Seriously now the discussion will be the next Wegmans stores.  Here are my predictions:

1. Lake Norman Mooresville to Huntersville area

2.  Matthews possibly over the line in Union County

3.  York County most likely Fort Mill

4.  Inner city location to be determined maybe near University area.

5.  Cabarrus County location

In the Raleigh metro area they have these stores open:  north Raleigh,  town of Wake Forest,  town of Cary, Chapel Hill and another one planned in Holly Springs in southern Wake county where they have the land already purchased.

• Like 2