Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Renovation/remodeling work has started on the brick building next door to the Hiller Hardware building. All of the equipment inside has been removed and suddenly the building looks much larger on the inside. The exposed brick inside looks pretty cool too.

The next question is, does anyone know if a specific business(es?) is planning to occupy that space? I know there had been some general announcements a few months ago.

I went to dinner tonight in the Vista (at the Motor Supply - had a great meal there! Very good chef.) and passed by the covered waiting platform of the old train station (in front of Blue Marlin). I think that the city really needs to do something creative with that. Maybe a local Farmers' Market there on weekends?

The Vista is bustling with people, but it is really not very pedestrian-friendly. I hope that maybe Lady Street will someday be more so.

Yeah its getting boring over there. What gives?

Whatever happened to all those residential development we were supposed to see in the Vista (and downtown) last year? Seems like that didnt come to pass like The State paper said it would.

What are the new residential developments going on in the Vista today? (under construction)

Land is being cleared for the Battery at Arsenal Hill, and some affordable townhomes are under construction on Wayne Street (they might be finished by now). That's all I can think of.

It seems as though a lot of construction will be going on in the Vista at one time. Hopefully we'll hear something about the Kline site soon too.

• 3 weeks later...

The Charlton Hall building is one of the choicest pieces of real estate in the Vista. I believe it is 2 stories, if I'm not mistaken. The first floor could be retail space and the second turned into apartments or condos. It is a beautiful old building.

Hey Matt, can you help me and the others on here that may not know: where in the heck is this Charleton Hall???? I have not seen anything called that, and am eager to know what beautiful old building you guys are talking about!

What street is it on? What is it near? :dontknow:

Hey Matt, can you help me and the others on here that may not know: where in the heck is this Charleton Hall???? I have not seen anything called that, and am eager to know what beautiful old building you guys are talking about!

It is an antique store on Gervais near Longhorns on the same side of the street. It is on the block with Cloud Nine and Motor Supply Co.

It's that nondescript one-and-a-half-story (if that) building that forms the long parking lot with the Longhorn building. The windows on that side are all bricked in. It has an iron gate on the front. Maybe they'll add floors it.

I just realized that a five-story building is being proposed at the site next to the Columbia Supply building. That's significant for Gervais. I really hope it has a non-red brick facade. I guess that why I like the Columbia Supply building; the green adds a bit of flair.

Also, six retailers will be on the first floor? Will all of them be fronting the street? I didn't think that parcel was that wide.

The side faces the alley where Sakitumi is and the back faces Lady St so I'm sure some will front there.