Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

IMG_0096.jpg

I was strolling around the Vista today and had a long look at that wide open lot where the 'Available' sign is on the above pic. (In front of the Blue Martini. Sorry - I didn't have a camera with me) I think something creative like a large pedestrian plaza could really make that location anchor the Vista.

The Vista badly needs some more pedestrian friendly areas. I'm not saying it should stay open all the way from Lady to Gervais (that would be too good to be true if it was truly to be a park - a REAL park or grandiose plaza), but imagine some kind of structure that would allow for pockets of greenery, public benches, a fountain or two to mask the traffic noise, a couple of sculptures, a semi courtyard effect with absolutely no cars, some retail, and loads of sidewalk caf

I think the vacant lots at the corner of Gervais and Assembly have the potential to be a lot of what you just described. A good thing about the Vista is that there is still a lot of available land to be developed, so there is definitely room for that.

You know that the plans for Innovista have a lot of what you just described in them, right? ;)

Does anybody know what's going on at 915 Lady St, the back part of this/these buildings are being razed? That's on the block between Park and Lincoln, if anyone is familiar with the area, it's between Alley Cafe and the First Citizen ATMs and parking lot. :dunno:

I took a shot of the area you're talking about:

demolitiononLady.jpg

I disagree. There are creative ways to offer these options to people -- most developers simply refuse to think outside of the box and will never even consider sacrificing a little profit in order to build lasting value into an area. I am consulting on a project right now that hopes to hit that price range with an extremely pragmatic approach to design. Developer can also offer "raw" units to people at lower prices -- something many young creative types would prefer anyway -- and allow them to finish them off themselves . If you do that and outfit your place with stuff from IKEA and Target, for instance, you can still hit that price range.

It's a simple matter of economics. Columbia is experiencing a little downtown residential boom. Developers are building to fill the demand for downtown housing, but they're also building to make themselves money. The higher-end condos are where the most money is going to be made. That's why we're seeing a flood of the costly condos in Cola (and Greenville for that matter). However, do not despair. Once the high-end condo market is sufficiently saturated, the developers will begin to look elsewhere to make they're money i.e. they will start building cheaper condos. I don't know when this will happen, because it all depends on the demand for high-end housing.

It's a simple matter of economics. Columbia is experiencing a little downtown residential boom. Developers are building to fill the demand for downtown housing, but they're also building to make themselves money. The higher-end condos are where the most money is going to be made. That's why we're seeing a flood of the costly condos in Cola (and Greenville for that matter). However, do not despair. Once the high-end condo market is sufficiently saturated, the developers will begin to look elsewhere to make they're money i.e. they will start building cheaper condos. I don't know when this will happen, because it all depends on the demand for high-end housing.

I agree. And, honestly, I think we are maxing out that demographic as we speak.

• 2 weeks later...

The townhouses coming to Pulaski across the street from the Columbia Music Festival Association are going to be absolutely gorgeous, unlike anything the Vista has seen. For all of you brick haters, rest easy. I wish I had a pic to link to.

The townhouses coming to Pulaski across the street from the Columbia Music Festival Association are going to be absolutely gorgeous, unlike anything the Vista has seen. For all of you brick haters, rest easy. I wish I had a pic to link to.

This sounds like good news. I am excited about anything that raises the bar over the currently mundane architectural atmosphere dominating new construction downtown. How would you describe their style? And do you know who the developer is?

That's a stone's throw from my office, I can't wait to see what they'll look like. That part of Pulaski Street needs alot of improving so they will be a welcome addition. Please post renderings ASAP, Corgi, or at least a description.

I couldn't help but think of England or France (city or village) when I saw the renderings at the DDRC meeting. I don't know the developer's name. Three stories (or were they four?), grayish to off-off-whitish siding, darker tannish roofing. Don't know where to find a rendering to post. "The State" newspaper should have been there so they could had them in today's paper.

Also, final approval was given for the hotel at Huger and Richland, the Hiller Hardware building redesign, a new three-story neoclassical office building at Pulaski and Hampton, the Columbia Supply building and Center Vista, a five-story office/retail building between Columbia Supply and the Dupree building, and a facade restoration of what most recently has been the Columbia Rug Gallery next to Paul Sloan's Interiors. Hiller Hardware will have the white paint removed and will add a second floor at the front and will have retail/office space in back (very deep). The front will be a two-story Carolina Ale.

Also, the Charleton Hall building now has a for sale sign on it.

Are things really about to start hopping or what?

Edited by CorgiMatt

I'm having trouble picturing this exact location. :dunno:

The Vista is really on a roll now! Can't wait to see renderings of Center Vista. Those small infill projects really make a difference and they are truly the essence of urbanity.

I'm having trouble picturing this exact location. :dunno:

The Vista is really on a roll now! Can't wait to see renderings of Center Vista. Those small infill projects really make a difference and they are truly the essence of urbanity.

Down Pulaski St from SCBT and diagonally across from Vista Commons near the Amtrak Station.

After riding by the Hampton/Pulaski site today, I wish the proposed office building were more than three stories. But it's good to see that kudzu-choked lot see some investment. Hopefully something will soon be coming to the lot behind Renaissance Plaza along Hampton.

It appears as though the Pendleton Street parking garage in front of the convention center is now open for business. It doesn't look like the retail space is ready yet, though.

Is that an office building going up at the corner of Taylor and Huger?

According to this week's edition of the Free Times, the developer behind the proposed five-story mixed-use building adjacent to the Columbia Supply building, Miller Valentine Group, wants the city to approve its plan without on-site parking. It's likely that the project would need 100-200 parking spaces. The developer hopes its tenants can lease them across the street where the city plans to build a 700-space parking garage. However, this idea has angered some longtime Vista business owners, who fear the development would eat up crucial parking spaces. They also take issue with the proposed height of the building.

I am for this project, i mean 5 stories would add alot to the vista instead of being a sea of 2-3 story buildings. This and the project in 5 points that seem to be getting beotched at becuase of height, is heart breaking. They need to understand projects like these help the city not hurt it in anyway nor does it affect the feel of the district. As far as this building in the Vista it might not even stand out, And i praise this developer that they chose to have off site parking which helps with the urban feel of the district. :angry:

Edited by Firefox