Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Now I loooove Wild Wings, :wub: but I agree that the Vista has enough tap beer/sports bars/"houses". currently the most trendy restaurants are Tsunamis :alc: and Liberty (even though its a tap room). The last thing needed is an Ale House. The Vista needs more Upscale (4 or 5 star) :shades: restaurants and more trendy eateries. I hope that the forthcoming Ruth's Chris will help raise the bar in the area. :blush:

Oh, I am with you on that--I followed the opening of Wild Wings like a hawk, and I'm there regularly. I LOVE beer taps and wings, don't get me wrong.

I believe Ruth's Chris will help. However, I would love to see more non-chain, locally run, chef-driven, innovative eateries in the Vista and/or on Main Street. I am encouraged that this will happen, but I hope this ale house will be one of the last of its ilk.

However, I would love to see more non-chain, locally run, chef-driven, innovative eateries in the Vista and/or on Main Street. I am encouraged that this will happen, but I hope this ale house will be one of the last of its ilk.

I live in the Vista and completely agree -- there are enough sports/wings bars places. Also, we have some good fancier, non-bar places such as Motor Supply, Gervais and Vine, and SakiTumi. We really need places that you can eat at *everyday* that have good food at good prices. Examples would be several cafes/bistros (say like Adreanna's but non-smoking please), middle eastern (ex: med tea room), a pasta place (ex: Pasta Fresca), a bagel/sandwich shop (ex: carolina cafe), vegetarian (no good examples in Columbia at the moment). My wish is for the area between Lady, Gervais, train tracks and Huger to become this part of the Vista.

Btw, I hope I don't sound too harsh b/c I absolutely love living in the Vista! I just think there's a new emerging market for food services that cater to people that live in the area rather than serving as a place for entertainment.

In the "TOP 5 BUILDING PERMITS" snippet in the Business section of today's edition of The State, this is listed:

$6,945,000 - Hood Construction, 530 Lady St., Columbia, POC LLC, construct mixed-use building with 11 condominium units (city of Columbia)

Anyone know what this is? I want to say we've discussed it before. Could it be related to this demolition on Lady:

demolitiononLady.jpg

You beat me to it, Krazee...that is The Lofts at Printer's Square. $7 million for the construction of 11 condos sounds awfully nice. I know thw most expensive ones will be going for over $1 million a piece. I expect to see something spectacular - anything less will be a disappointment. Of course I'll never be able to live there, but it is still fun to look at!

You beat me to it, Krazee...that is The Lofts at Printer's Square. $7 million for the construction of 11 condos sounds awfully nice. I know thw most expensive ones will be going for over $1 million a piece. I expect to see something spectacular - anything less will be a disappointment. Of course I'll never be able to live there, but it is still fun to look at!

I heard they aren't selling. :o

In the "TOP 5 BUILDING PERMITS" snippet in the Business section of today's edition of The State, this is listed:

$6,945,000 - Hood Construction, 530 Lady St., Columbia, POC LLC, construct mixed-use building with 11 condominium units (city of Columbia)

Anyone know what this is? I want to say we've discussed it before. Could it be related to this demolition on Lady:

demolitiononLady.jpg

Krazee, I assumed that the bank still owns the property you picture here, and are just going to build a better (more urban?) version of the bank, but with drive-through still. Let's hope!

Has anyone heard anything about this lot on the corner of Lady and Park?

This week's edition of the Free Times reports that city officials are recommending that the Columbia Planning Commission vote against the Center Vista development solely due to the parking issue. The developers don't want to provide on-site parking in order to make this a truly urban, pedestrian-oriented development. City planners are requesting that Center Vista provide at least 50 on-site and 100 off-site parking spaces within three blocks of the establishment. Many of the merchants are also against this development for the same reason, citing parking problems in the past.

Commissioner Tiaa Rutherford blamed a lack of public transportation improvements for the parking problem.

^It would be nice if they could forego the drive-thru.

I was thinking of a 2- to 3-story, up-to-the-sidewalk new building for the bank, replacing also the parking lot and ATM as well as what they already tore down. The drive-through could go underneath the top floor(s) in an L-shape from Park to Lady Street, with the walk-in lobby on the corner. Just wishful thinking. Would be great to see it converted from '70's suburban to New Urban as it should be. Also wish the City would dictate this urban design on that street and all downtown streets. No surface lots unless hidden behind buildings, etc.

Does anyone have a rendering of what this new bank will look like?

This week's edition of the Free Times reports that city officials are recommending that the Columbia Planning Commission vote against the Center Vista development solely due to the parking issue. The developers don't want to provide on-site parking in order to make this a truly urban, pedestrian-oriented development. City planners are requesting that Center Vista provide at least 50 on-site and 100 off-site parking spaces within three blocks of the establishment. Many of the merchants are also against this development for the same reason, citing parking problems in the past.

Commissioner Tiaa Rutherford blamed a lack of public transportation improvements for the parking problem.

^Now let's try to look at this from the perspective of existing Vista merchants. I don't think we should totally discount their concerns here. The commissioner that was quoted hit the nail on the head. It's not that there isn't adequate parking in the Vista--it's just that people think they should park right in front of their destination. This is why I suggested signs to point people to parking areas and facilities; I think that would go a ways towards alleviating the "problem" of parking in the Vista. When you factor in the parking garage at Lincoln and Lady being finished around the time that this development would be, then I'd say that you indeed have adequate parking.

^If they are in enough pain they possibly could. But even then, do you honestly think that these are the people who are truly patronizing the Vista en masse? I honestly don't think that population is large enough to make the argument that we should provide (more) on site parking.