Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/93453.html

37 3 story Brownstone Units are coming to the Vista. Similar to what u see in NYC and northeastern cities!

Nice. This is the development we've been hearing about! It sounds like a great urban project from some people that know what they're doing.

Soapbox: Another downtown development that's anti-children though. This is a telling quote: "The number of options will make this ideal housing for everyone from single professionals who are really into entertaining to double-income (couples with) no kids to empty nesters who want to stay downtown,' Mock said." People with kids should not be relegated to the "streetcar suburbs." We need to make homes and public spaces in the city center that are family friendly.

Edited by emerging.me

I totally agree, EM. I really think that too many cities, especially cities like Columbia that are trying to get some spotlight, are going overboard with trying to lure "the creative class" and forget that diversity is what makes a downtown dynamic, meaning that there must be a nice mix of singles, families, empty nesters, etc.

I grew up in downtown Columbia in Elmwood Park half my life from 11 years old to nearly 20 (last year). lol. I think living downtown was better than the burbs. I mean we had the big house a back yard, my friends and I walked to Finlay Park (we could literally see the fire works from Finlay Park every Friday night and hear the music from the concerts), the main library, lived near all the restaurants off of Elmwood, had the park and basketball goal at Logan....I LOVED it. I don't know about kiddy kids but to it was great from age 11 and up.

^And I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the benefits of living in and around downtown goes. I wouldn't expect that many families would want to live in the heart of the Vista, but think of neighborhoods like Arsenal Hill, Elmwood Park, Cottontown, the historic Hampton district, Wales Garden, Wheeler Hill, etc. that essentially provide an urban experience.

Nice. This is the development we've been hearing about! It sounds like a great urban project from some people that know what they're doing.

Soapbox: Another downtown development that's anti-children though. This is a telling quote: "The number of options will make this ideal housing for everyone from single professionals who are really into entertaining to double-income (couples with) no kids to empty nesters who want to stay downtown,' Mock said." People with kids should not be relegated to the "streetcar suburbs." We need to make homes and public spaces in the city center that are family friendly.

I don't think the developments are "anti-children", it's the people with kids who are "anti-city center", so to speak. Their number one concern is the state of the schools, and as long as the 'burbs have the better public schools, then that's where they'll go. Their number two concern is affordability, and the 'burbs win again. Thirdly, safety is a major concern, and the 'burbs have a lower crime rate (or at least the city has the perception of higher crime). Not trying to simplify, but I think these are the underlying reasons developers know not to bother marketing to families as heavily as others.

Isn't this true in every city?

^To a certain extent, it is true. However, more people are starting to realize that their suburban lifestyles are ultimately dependent on cheap gas, and those days are swiftly coming to an end. I also don't believe that it's as simple as "if you build it, they will come," but cities have their work cut out for them in making downtown more appealing to a broader audience, and I think building more affordable, family friendly housing goes along with that. But you're right about the issue with schools, although several cities, even Southern cities, have good schools that service children who live in and around downtown.

I agree that everything doesn't have to match, but I think brownstone material is a historic northeastern sytle. Here in the South, we should should use contextually considerate materials.

Very northeastern ! I was looking some photos posted by Waccamatt somewhere else, at the time I thought they were townhouses of my region ! Above all the project with the long rooves, typically nordiste. :shok: It looks like a good project though, I wouldn't say no :whistling:

I agree that everything doesn't have to match, but I think brownstone material is a historic northeastern sytle. Here in the South, we should should use contextually considerate materials.

Brownstone is a type of sandstone, which we have aplenty underneath our S.C. soils.

Charleston has some old buildings built of brownstone, most notably the curved bank on the corner of Broad St. and E. Bay St. I think brownstone buildings in Columbia would fit in beautifully!

Awesome. Do you now where this is going to be located? Is it that vacant gravel square in between those two buildings near park (not sure of their names)? That is really something the vista was missing. On another note, is anyone else dissappointed with the Discovery Center's Parking Garage. It looks very block-like - very unattractive especially when compared to the Hilton garage.

Yes, I am disappointed in the garage, but it isn't finished yet, maybe something will dress it up. Som Tammy Faye makeup, perhaps? :P

Hilarious. I think it's fine that they kept it clean and simple -- won't it pretty much be completely obscured from Blossom once Discovery II is up?

Edited by emerging.me

I agree, DS, the restaurant offerings in Five Points and Devine Street are superior to the Vista, although Sakitumi and Tsunami have been welcome additions. We need a middle eastern restaurant in The Vista along with a Thai restaurant. I understand Miyo's is opening another location in the Vista, too.

Now I loooove Wild Wings, :wub: but I agree that the Vista has enough tap beer/sports bars/"houses". currently the most trendy restaurants are Tsunamis :alc: and Liberty (even though its a tap room). The last thing needed is an Ale House. The Vista needs more Upscale (4 or 5 star) :shades: restaurants and more trendy eateries. I hope that the forthcoming Ruth's Chris will help raise the bar in the area. :blush:

I'm just wondering how the Hiller Hardware store went from being included in the Shoppes at Lady retail development to becoming an ale house. Oh well...

Anyone know what's coming to the new 720 Lady building right next door?

I'm not sure, but I think the Ale House will only occupy part of the building. On the plus side, the owners of Garibaldi's will be opening a seafood restaurant called The Market (there's one in Charleston) on Assembly at Gervais, ironically next to the the former location of a Columbia landmark - the Market Restaurant.