Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Thanks Krazee! The building looks nice (even though it's more red brick) and I'm asuming there will be street level retail from the rendering. This is in a great location, being just across from the Publix, but I agree with Spartan, it's a bit pricey at over half a million :blink:

Thanks Krazee! The building looks nice (even though it's more red brick) and I'm asuming there will be street level retail from the rendering. This is in a great location, being just across from the Publix, but I agree with Spartan, it's a bit pricey at over half a million :blink:

I think they're just gonna sit there. Granted, it's a very different product, but Renaissance Plaza is STILL a ghost development... far from maximum occupancy.

I thought that site was going to be part of Innovista. At any rate, it would be nice to see an aloft hotel go there, but with so many hotels planned/going up already, I think another one at this point might oversaturate the market. Same goes for condos.

That *would* be very cool. I know one hotel developer in town was looking at aloft, but they bailed on it and went with another brand. Bummer!!!

This is on the next city council agenda:

812 thru 824 Washington Street, 1307 thru 1325 Lincoln Street, and 825 thru 833 Lady Street (City of Columbia - Lincoln Street Parking Garage), TMS#09013-13-03 thru 06 and 09; rezone from M-1, -PD, -DD, C-4, -PD, -DD, M-1, -PD, -DP, -DD to PUD-C, -DD.

Council District: 2

Proposal: Rezone to construct mixed-use building and City-owned and

I think they're just gonna sit there. Granted, it's a very different product, but Renaissance Plaza is STILL a ghost development... far from maximum occupancy.

I think the Renaissance Plaza is waaaay overpriced and that's why its (largely) vacant. I'm betting a lot of speculators are losing their shirts on that one.

Could the Washington and Lady streets addresses be referring to the parking garage to be built along Lady (and have the rear fronting Washington)? Or is it something else, given the reference to a "mixed-use building"?

Sounds to me like they are referring to the parking garage at Lady and Lincoln, which will have a mixed-use building facing Lady St. Like you said, the rear of the garage will face Washington St. See page 7, post #150 of this thread.

I wish these downtown condos were more affordable, in the 125 to 175k range for a 2 br/2 bath, I would definitely purchase one.

(Hint, hint to any developers out there)

That's where the *real* Columbia market is at -- as opposed to the "fake" speculative one we've experienced the past few years. If we want a truly vibrant, fully-realized downtown that's what has to happen. Period. The market got ahead of itself in many ways. I don't own property downtown (yet), so I can say without hesitation that I hope it corrects itself to the point that residents of the Columbia area with average salaries can afford to populate these places.

Edited by emerging.me

Sounds to me like they are referring to the parking garage at Lady and Lincoln, which will have a mixed-use building facing Lady St. Like you said, the rear of the garage will face Washington St. See page 7, post #150 of this thread.

Ahhhh yes, I forget that part of the garage will be along Lincoln. Thanks for that.

I wish these downtown condos were more affordable, in the 125 to 175k range for a 2 br/2 bath, I would definitely purchase one.

Agree completely. I'm going to be in the market for a new place to live in the next year, and would LOVE to live downtown. But I'm certainly not in a position to spend what the condos and townhouses downtown are costing.

I know everyone wants to be in a new development, but there are many older condo developments in wonderful locations that are very affordable:

Senate Plaza, Wilshire House, the Hermitage, Park Circle, The 2 condo buildings in 5 Points, etc.

Edited by waccamatt

I know everyone wants to be in a new development, but there are many older condo developments in wonderful locations that are very affordable:

Senate Plaza, Wilshire House, the Hermitage, Park Circle, The 2 condo buildings in 5 Points, etc.

Senate, Wilshire, and the two condo building in 5 points are heavy college based. When i tired to get into Senate plaza to take a photo they told me i had to wait till students moved out, and I have firends who in both condo buildings in 5 points.

Most developers know this would be a sweet spot - but you can barely "build" condos for these prices and that does not include land, fees, etc.

I agree that if you are looking for these prices you will need to buy an older condo in the downtown area.

Most developers know this would be a sweet spot - but you can barely "build" condos for these prices and that does not include land, fees, etc.

I agree that if you are looking for these prices you will need to buy an older condo in the downtown area.

I disagree. There are creative ways to offer these options to people -- most developers simply refuse to think outside of the box and will never even consider sacrificing a little profit in order to build lasting value into an area. I am consulting on a project right now that hopes to hit that price range with an extremely pragmatic approach to design. Developer can also offer "raw" units to people at lower prices -- something many young creative types would prefer anyway -- and allow them to finish them off themselves . If you do that and outfit your place with stuff from IKEA and Target, for instance, you can still hit that price range.

Edited by emerging.me

Does anybody know what's going on at 915 Lady St, the back part of this/these buildings are being razed? That's on the block between Park and Lincoln, if anyone is familiar with the area, it's between Alley Cafe and the First Citizen ATMs and parking lot. :dunno:

Edited by BrasilnSC

A blue architectural review board sign saying "exterior renovations" is on the Lady Street Hiller Hardware building, meaning it will be reviewed at the June review board meeting, unless it is deferred. The building that forms an alley with Hiller is looking great. That area is going to have so much patina after a couple of growing seasons when the trees and ground cover in the planted areas are more mature and the renovations of the buildings are complete.

Just down the street, Trustus Theatre is in the middle of an interior/exterior overhaul. I love the exterior brickwork.

I guess this means the "Shoppes at Lady Street" is moving along. I would assume the building next to it with the scaffolding is associated with that development as well.

Brasil, I'm sure E.M. knows what's going on there. ;)

Ha! Believe it or not that one is not on my radar. I'll have to see if I can dig it up! :)

Here's some news on a couple of developments that will give Lady Street some nearby customers. A blue architectural review board sign is at Huger and Richland, where the new hotel is going at I-126 and Huger. Another one is at Pulaski and Pendleton, across the street from the Columbia Music Festival Association. That sign says approval of the design of 37 residental units is being requested. Both of these requests should be heard at the June meeting, first Tuesday of the month, City Hall.

Edited by CorgiMatt

Now who saw this coming? Columbia Carriage Works owner Don Purcell just got city approval to use the old railroad tunnel at Lincoln and Lady streets in the Vista, along with a nearby grassy area, for a horse park. Carriages will be stored inside the tunnel, and the grassy area will be fenced in to contain the horses. "That space has been an eyesore for years and years," Purcell said of the old railroad tunnel. "So we thought to make it into a little park with benches and flower beds. The horses can walk around as they're waiting to do rides. Families can come watch the horses."

That's quite an innovative use for what is truly an eyesore in the Vista. I think it'll be neat.

Now who saw this coming? Columbia Carriage Works owner Don Purcell just got city approval to use the old railroad tunnel at Lincoln and Lady streets in the Vista, along with a nearby grassy area, for a horse park. Carriages will be stored inside the tunnel, and the grassy area will be fenced in to contain the horses. "That space has been an eyesore for years and years," Purcell said of the old railroad tunnel. "So we thought to make it into a little park with benches and flower beds. The horses can walk around as they're waiting to do rides. Families can come watch the horses."

That's quite an innovative use for what is truly an eyesore in the Vista. I think it'll be neat.

Great idea! Finally somebody came up with a good idea to adaptively reuse that space!! (I've heard of some crazy ideas for it over the years) Good news.

I love it; can't think of a more creative use. Did anyone catch the irony, though, in this portion of the article:

"In recent years, the old railroad tunnel has become a haven for homeless people, said Steve Gantt, the city

Edited by Ellen