National Theatre

Shakman

The lack of mainline press reviews in Richmond for events which would be big news in other cities baffles me.

LAMB OF GOD played a sold out concert Sunday night at The National prior to launching a MAJOR tour. It is a Richmond band that has achieved worldwide attention.

There has been no coverage of the show in the RTD, Richmond dot com or RVANews which, I believe, are the principal print/internet outlets in the city.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The National is one of the top 10 largest tax delinquents in the City... let's hope it isn't a sign of something worse.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where does the Nat rank on that list?

I suspect a lot of people would agree that the revived theatre is responsible for bringing more people downtown than any other venue -- Well, maybe the Colisem with its capacity of about 13,000 out-draws the National's capacity of 1,500+. Richmond CenterStage (1,800+) books fewer attractions and is dark during the summer months.

Here's hoping the theatre gets off that "delinquent" list SOON.

The National is one of the top 10 largest tax delinquents in the City... let's hope it isn't a sign of something worse.

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2012/02/20/a-victim-of-the-recession-prompt-real-estate-taxes/ :( :(

It seems like some of Richmond's most well known (and now notorious) places and developements have secured a spot on this list....

It includes Roseland, the visionary 5,000 home development in Moseley, Chesterfield, and SportsQuest, a sprawling sports complex known quite well to RVA residents already, and the large Tetra lot in Henrico. It was to be developed into something (which I never found out what it was supposed to be) by the Virginia Beach based Tetra. Then the company fell into bankruptcy, and the lot sank into a tax spiral. But on the note of the National, I was quite scared when I saw that. I never would have guessed it had a tax issue. It seems like quite a success, drawing national acts that the Richmond Coliseum should be drawing (but of course it won't because of it's scarring age). Hopefully the owners will do something about it and take this historic and successful property off of this unfortunate list....

On a scale of 1 to 10, where does the Nat rank on that list?

I suspect a lot of people would agree that the revived theatre is responsible for bringing more people downtown than any other venue -- Well, maybe the Colisem with its capacity of about 13,000 out-draws the National's capacity of 1,500+. Richmond CenterStage (1,800+) books fewer attractions and is dark during the summer months.

Here's hoping the theatre gets off that "delinquent" list SOON.

The National has drawn so many well known acts here, like Foster the People (I love Pumped Up Kicks :silly: ) and others. Other than the Landmark, the National is very much responsible for being the first step towards reviving downtown. Except the Landmark isn't exactly "downtown", it's more "VCU Monroe Park campus"..... but still.... it IS very unfortunate the owners tripped up on taxes for such a success story... :(

I think RIC Capital Ventures, LLC (a/k/a The National and 3rd on the delinquent tax list) will find its way out of this dilemma through negotiations with the City.

And perhaps the city will re-examine its 10% meal tax that puts restaurants at a competitive disadvantage with those in the counties.

:offtopic: The Hippodrome had its first national act on its stage last night. Otis Taylor, a well-know blues musician entertained, and I hope there was a full house.

• 2 weeks later...

It should be a busy night on downtown streets this weekend.

The ELTON JOHN concert is a near sell-out at The Richmond Coliseum Saturday night (St. Patrick's Day.)

GWAR should fill the house at the nearby National tonight. BRAVO plays The Nat Saturday.

The sold-out CHILDISH GAMBINO show scheduled for next Tuesday, March 29th has been rescheduled for Sunday, July 29th.

That has to be a logistical nightmare for the Nat's box office!

Verify:

http://www.thenationalva.com

CORRECTION: The sold-out CHILDISH GAMBINO show was originally scheduled for Tuesday March 20th (not the 29th as I wrote above) and has been moved to Sunday, July 29th.

It's not easy to edit on this system. Sorry if I misled anyone. That's why I always advise to "verify."

The National is celebrating its 4th anniversary.

660 concerts have played on The Nat's stage since the building reopened as an entertainment venue.

On a personal note (and I'm almost as old as the theatre), I used to go downtown every Thursday night during World War II when a new stage show and movie opened. There was a pit orchestra of 9 musicians, a line of 12 chorus girls doing three production numbers, plus the "star" (could be a singer, a comedian or dog act) and a movie -- all for 75 cents. :good:

I live in New York City now, but I came home for the re-opening of The Nat after Bill Reid and the NorVa group finished reconstructing the building. I saw Little Feet (FeAt?) and had a wonderful trip down memory lane touring the wonderful old theatre.

Believe me, it is a treat to see revived activity in the National and in the beautifully restored Loew's which is now The Carpenter Theatre at Richmond CenterStage.

Richmond had 8 theatres on the Broad Street corridor between 6th and 9th Streets in my youth. Others, besides Loews and The National, were The Grand, The State, The Colonial, The Park, The Strand and The Lyric.

All except Loews and The National have been demolished. EXCEPT, the facade of The Colonial which remains as the front of a new(ish) 10-story high rise at the corner of 8th and Broad. The 1,500-seat Colonial was the prestigeous showplace of top Warner Bros movies. Take a look at it next time you go to the National. It's right next door.

Here's a very current list of restaurants in Richmond listed by neighborhood. There are loads of them (including popular clubs) downtown within blocks of The National.

If the restaurant is highlighted in blue it has a web page.

Most of the nightclub activity is in Shockoe Slip and/or Shockoe Bottom.

In addition to GIBSON'S GRILL in the National, other near-by bars for after-show drinks and food are T MILLERS SPORTS BAR in The Marriott at 6th and Broad; PASTURE on Grace between 4th and 5th; MANSION FIVE26 next to The Hippodrome on North 2nd between Clay and Leigh Streets, and CAPITAL ALE HOUSE MUSIC HALL on Main between 6th and 7th.

Opening in May, 525 AT THE BERRY BURK at the corner of 6th and Grace will serve upscale meals in elegant surroundings. Its bar and lounge will be open for after-show crowds at The National, Richmond CenterStage and The Coliseum.

http://www.richmondg...restaurants.htm

What does "Club" mean? When clicking that box beside a show title it usually says tickets are not available.

The theatre, or Ticketmaster, seems to have changed the method of buying tickets or finding out if any are available for a given concert.

The National's neighbor, The Carpenter Theatre at 6th and Grace Streets, has booked five musical concerts during the summer. But, if I'm not mistaken, Tommy Emmanuel, Idina Mendez, and Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson have appeared at The National over the last four years.

Here is the Carpenter Theatre's summer line-up:

YANNI, Wednesday June 6th

TOMMY EMMANUEL, Saturday June 9th

IDINA MENDEZ, Friday June 29th

KEM, Thursday September 6th

JETHRO TULL's IAN ANDERSON, Sunday June 9th.

http://www.richmondcenterstage.com click Events for details.

So far, no concerts on those dates are booked at the National.

Verify:

http://www.thenationalva.com

Archived