National Theatre

Shakman

Another competitor (or enhancer for downtown traffic depending on how you look at it) is the large Virginia Ball Room in the John Marshall Residences at 5th and Franklin Streets.

It is booking ocasional performers.

Singer LEO KOTTKE is booked into the room on Wednesday, June 9th.

Downtown Richmond is becoming more and more of an entertainment/nightlife center. New bars and clubs. In addition to the EPIC THEATRE (formerly known as The Hat Factory) -- KAI in The Slip -- 2113 RESTRO LOUNGE in The Bottom, and the king of Richmond clubs OFF THE HOOKAH, clubs and bars are attracting vibrant young crowds.

The NATIONAL, Richmond's jewel of uphill entertainment sends full houses of music lovers to clubs such as KINGDOM (once known as Alley Katz) and the plethora of other restaurants and bars downtown. :good:

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Another competitor (or enhancer for downtown traffic depending on how you look at it) is the large Virginia Ball Room in the John Marshall Residences at 5th and Franklin Streets.

It is booking ocasional performers.

Singer LEO KOTTKE is booked into the room on Wednesday, June 9th.

Downtown Richmond is becoming more and more of an entertainment/nightlife center. New bars and clubs. In addition to the EPIC THEATRE (formerly known as The Hat Factory) -- KAI in The Slip -- 2113 RESTRO LOUNGE in The Bottom, and the king of Richmond clubs OFF THE HOOKAH, clubs and bars are attracting vibrant young crowds.

The NATIONAL, Richmond's jewel of uphill entertainment sends full houses of music lovers to clubs such as KINGDOM (once known as Alley Katz) and the plethora of other restaurants and bars downtown. :good:

Not to mention Patterson Hood, of the Drive by Truckers" is playing there mid june. Venue only hold 500-700, so it is not a competitor to the Nat. It will most likely pick up what is too small. Saw Three Sheets to the Wind there, a fun time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like KILLERS sold out their date (July 20th) at The Nat in a hurry.

Verify:

http://www.thenationalva.com

I'm not surprised. The Killers are actually quite a big band in the US. Their album Hot Fuss from 2004 sold millions of copies. I love their song "Somebody Told Me." :D

But of course, I kind of expected it to sell out, and wasn't planning on going anyway because of Carrie, and because I'm not a fan of how loud and rowdy the place can get, especially when sold out.... -_-

The very elegant restaurant called 525 AT THE BERRY BURK is now open. And its bar stays active for after Theatre patronage. The restaurant is 2 blocks from The National at 6th and Grace Streets across from The Carpenter Theatre. (The National is at 7th and Broad Streets.)

Also, the new restaurant/bar called PASTURE is open late. It's on Grace between 5th and 4th (about 3 blocks from the Nat) and is a loud, happy gastropub full of young pretty people. It offers excellent small plates and good booze.

And coming in September at 4th and Grace (4 blocks from the Nat) is MERROIR RVA, a top-flight oyester and seafood restaurant/bar. Its home base is in Topping, Va (near Deltaville, White Stone/Irvington south of the Rt. 3 bridge) in Virginia's Northern Neck.

Richmond's downtown is in a revival mode. GIBSON's GRILL is next door to the Nat, and The Marriott's T MILLER'S SPORTS BAR and its lobby bar are a short walk at 6th and Broad.

If you want to dance after the show, head to The Shockoes (The Slip and or The Bottom) about 8 to 10 blocks downhill from The Nat. There are tons of bars.

OFF THE HOOKAH on the Canal Walk in The Slip will blow your mind -- if you can get in.

Welcome to Richmond. :good:

• 3 weeks later...

The National announces on its facebook page that veteran entertainer Leon Russell will appear on its stage Sunday September 23rd at 8PM.

He has appeared at least twice at The Hat Factory (although it may have been called Toad's Place the first time he was in Richmond.)

I believe this will be his first show at The National.

Verify:

The National's schedule of shows through July 20th will feature:

Thursday, July 12th, DREAM THEATER -- doors 7PM, Show 8PM

Friday, July 13th, NEKO CASE -- doors 7PM, Show 8PM

Saturday, July 14th, NEW POTATO CABOOSE -- doors 7PM, Show 8PM

Wednesday, July 18th, BLITZEN TRAPPER -- doors 7PM, Show 8PM

Friday, July 20th, THE KILLERS -- doors 8PM, Show 9PM (sold out)

NOTE: Jackson Browne's concert July 20th at The Carpenter Theatre (6th and Grace Streets) and THE KILLERS at The National (7th and Broad Streets) on the same night will create heavy traffic and fill tables at nearby restaurants. Maybe that's why show times are staggered -- 8PM for Browne and 9PM for Killers.

Verify:

• 2 weeks later...

THE KILLERS and JACKSON BROWNE will take the stage tonight, Browne at the Carpenter Center, and the KILLERS at the National. And while The KILLERS are a nationwide success and well-known band, it should also be noted that JACKSON BROWNE has written and recorded some of the biggest hits of yester(century) for the Eagles, the Byrds, and many others, which is why people are pushing to also see him, as he has also been inducted in the prestigious Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

Richmond will be shining with stars tonight! :thumbsup:

I saw Dream Theater at the National a week and a half ago. First time there. Great venue. Loved the show. Dream Theater was fantastic. I love the ceiling treatment!!! The open rotunda-esque-ness it has up there. We sat in the balcony...great sound up there too. Went to the VIP balconies and green room and stuff too. Love the oldness of the theater!

I saw Dream Theater at the National a week and a half ago. First time there. Great venue. Loved the show. Dream Theater was fantastic. I love the ceiling treatment!!! The open rotunda-esque-ness it has up there. We sat in the balcony...great sound up there too. Went to the VIP balconies and green room and stuff too. Love the oldness of the theater!

Metalman. Glad you got the opportunity to come up from Hampton Roads and check out the Nat. Come back and bring your friends. :good:

• 4 weeks later...

THE DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS, it seems, is the only group that gets extended time in Richmond. Last year they did a 3-night run at The National.

They'll be back this year for two nights, Friday and Saturday, October 26th and 27th on the Nat's stage.

GOV'T MULE is booked for Monday, October 22nd.

Verify:

Yesterday (Monday, 08/20/12) THE ALL STAR TOUR began at 1:30 in the afternoon and went on until about 10PM. It's hard to imagine much audience for anything on a Monday afternoon in Richmond -- or elsewhere, for that matter. I wonder how many attended?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Burt, those pictures are beautiful.... :)

It shows the National in it's true splendor. That one picture by Robert Windel next to "the view from the backstage" by jenniferleephoto is particularly neat. Loving that rotunda type area! ;)

Sorry, works been getting in the way, that's why I haven't been lurking around as I usually do :P

Archived