Perkins Rowe

richyb83

a little off topic but since we're talking about hotels around the bluebonnet area, anyone know what happened to one of the major hotel chains picking up that eye sore that is the Jimmy Swaggert building that he never finished.. its one of the biggest structures in that district, so it sticks out like a sore thumb the way it is, IMO i'd think that would be prime real estate for a Marriott of some sort.. i guess the economy probably plays a role in it right now but i just wanted to see if anyones heard anything.

JTS is responsible for several developments in the city. Citiplace is a JTS development.

I think cajun was referring to the pressure on WAFB imposed by those who don't want Rouzan. They're trying any angle they can think of to stop the development. (sorry about getting off topic, just wanted to clarify).

I think cajun was referring to the pressure on WAFB imposed by those who don't want Rouzan. They're trying any angle they can think of to stop the development. (sorry about getting off topic, just wanted to clarify).

Bingo.

^ It's a shame some vocal opposition try to be intimidating enough to put pressure on a TV station; is this why WBRZ's new "slogan" is "Fair & Balanced News"?? Rouzan needs to happen; those nearby residents will be glad when completed...

a little off topic but since we're talking about hotels around the bluebonnet area, anyone know what happened to one of the major hotel chains picking up that eye sore that is the Jimmy Swaggert building that he never finished.. its one of the biggest structures in that district, so it sticks out like a sore thumb the way it is, IMO i'd think that would be prime real estate for a Marriott of some sort.. i guess the economy probably plays a role in it right now but i just wanted to see if anyones heard anything.

Welcome to the BR Forum Mello :thumbsup:

You are right; the Renaissance hotel project($70 million) has been stymied due to the credit crunch....about a month ago developer Mike Wampold said the hotel project is on "hold" and hopes to begin in late 09' or 2010?? It's been difficult to get financing because hotels are out of favor with lenders...kind of like how condo's were back in the 80's & 90's.

The 12-story unfinished dorm skelton is an eye sore! Great location btwn Mall of La/Perkins Rowe...if this project ever does happen? I have a hard time seeing Perkins Rowe with 2 hotels; at least until they complete construction on the Perkins-Picardy connector on the eastern fringe of the development.

Wampold has been busy finishing up II City Plaza & The Crescent @ University Lake(where silly oppositon delayed things for over 10 years!!)...he has been trying to help BR take it to the next level; much the same way Spinosa has with CitiPlace, Perkins Rowe & Rouzan...now area residents(orginally opposed) like the Crescent condo's..it only adds to the value to their property..much like Rouzan and Perkins Rowe will do too!

^ It's a shame some vocal opposition try to be intimidating enough to put pressure on a TV station; is this why WBRZ's new "slogan" is "Fair & Balanced News"?? Rouzan needs to happen; those nearby residents will be glad when completed...

Or they can move to one of the bible thumper neighborhoods.

Did they expect it to be an empty pasture forever? That land doesn't belong to them, and they have no more stake in it than you or I have. It passed the zoning and planning boards, so if they don't like it, then they can leave town or shut up.

They're in the city, you're right Cajun, what do they expect. The city going to fill in anyway,why fight it, It will only increase thier property value.I just don't see what their problem is.There's that damn "old way of thinking" again. The next thing you know, they will try to get declared a wildlife preservation area. :rofl:

Edited by southeastBR

^ Yeah it's ridiculous! The Ford Pasture is virtually in the shadows of the Marriott(BR's Tallest Hotel); easily in eye's view to the north! That's good stuff southeastBR; funny thing is....just down Perkins Rd their is the 400+acre LSU Rural Life Plantation(almost like a nature preserve)

Those people just can't seem to get enough of a good thing with their old way of thinking; BTW it's the 400-acre rural preserve is partly responsible for the traffic nightmares on Essen & College Dr. Just not enough north/south arteries with Interstate access. I'm sure those backward folk were expecting another cookie-cutter suburban, gated/single enterance neighborhhod complete w/ butterfly gardens :rolleyes:

That's why I had kept saying BR is a overgrown country-town; trying to become a legit mid-sized city!

People in Wimbledon Estates complained about Perkins Rowe going up; until they found out anything could go there; like a stinkin' meat-packing plant(according to zoning); so they actually shut-up and are now happy...what did they expect with Malls, Hospitals, 12-story dorm/apts. so close?? BTW Perkins Rowe has a 150ft' height-limit..so some 14 or 15-story condo's could be approved if the market allowed.

Edited by richyb83

I'd have to remind him that if it wasn't Rouzon, more than likely it would be something similar to Siegen marketplace.

Not so sure about that given the zoning, but even worse would be another lifeless one way in one way out subdivision. Just what Baton Rouge needs.

Anyhow, what do you y'all think about the fear and smear campaign against Perkins Rowe. Was it effective? Or do you think the people of Baton Rouge are more open minded and willing to give the court system a try? :dontknow:

Edited by Zackman

That's what I said would be built there if they had it there way; a couple days ago...more of the same crap!

I'm sure those backward folk were expecting another cookie-cutter suburban, gated/single enterance neighborhhod complete w/ butterfly gardens :rolleyes:

^^Hopefully the smear campaign won't work...anything out-the-box lately for BR seems to have plenty of trouble getting off the ground...whether that be Perkins Rowe, Crescent @ University Lake; Fieldhouse at the Northgate of Nicholson; downtown Main Library; 11-story condo's on Nicholson near Terrace; Settlement at Willow Grove, etc... even the Shaw Center for the Arts also has a love-hate type thing going on too here in BR!

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

Error in that 1st story I posted above....the new hotel is going to the tract of land West of NeuroMedical Center where I thought it was! Not to the east like the other article said...anyway this is good to see happen...one of the few missing componets to this urban village; a nice addition! Looking forward to seeing what happens in Phase II too!

Perkins Rowe hotel planned

Perkins Rowe developer JTS Interests announced Tuesday that a five-story, 165-room hotel there will be flagged by Hilton Garden Inn.

JTS also said construction will begin next year on the second phase of development 750,000 square feet of office, retail and residential space at the mixed-use project at Perkins Road and Bluebonnet Boulevard.

The 130,000-square-foot hotel is one of the last major components of Perkins Rowe's initial phase of about 1 million square feet. It will be built on an empty lot behind Orvis, the outdoor apparel store, just off Bluebonnet. JTS said completion is expected in 2010.

This is city's second Garden Inn; the first is in Howell Place in north Baton Rouge. The Perkins Rowe location will offer more than 5,000 square feet of meeting and banquet facilities. It also will feature a full-service restaurant, swimming pool and fitness center.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/43016242.html

bizhotel041509.jpg

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

Camellia Grill discusses B.R. plans

Camellia Grill, the landmark New Orleans restaurant, says it will open a location in Perkins Rowe at the end of the year, reports New Orleans CityBusiness. Owner Hicham Khodr told the magazine that construction on the restaurant should start within three weeks. Khodr, who bought a condominium in Perkins Rowe so he could be near the restaurant, says the location will have more seats than the Camellia Grill on Carrollton Avenue, but everything else will be same, including the menu, decor and fa

Camellia Grill discusses B.R. plans

Camellia Grill, the landmark New Orleans restaurant, says it will open a location in Perkins Rowe at the end of the year, reports New Orleans CityBusiness. Owner Hicham Khodr told the magazine that construction on the restaurant should start within three weeks. Khodr, who bought a condominium in Perkins Rowe so he could be near the restaurant, says the location will have more seats than the Camellia Grill on Carrollton Avenue, but everything else will be same, including the menu, decor and fa

• 3 weeks later...

Lengthy atricle in this issue of BusinessReport...the Good & Bad of Perkins Rowe...Rouzan also comes into play??

Spinosa's Perkins woe

Perkins Rowe is unlike anything Baton Rouge has seen before. With its palm-lined flagstone streets of trendy boutiques, restaurants and condominiums, and its traditional town square complete with a fountain and park benches, it emulates a revitalized warehouse district that looks like Dallas and feels like Disney. But while the $200 million development wins raves for bringing a new definition of mixed use to Baton Rouge, it has been plagued by problems almost from its conception. It ran behind schedule, was stung by post-Hurricane Katrina construction costs and was impacted by the credit crunch.

It also has found itself at the center of more than 40 lawsuits and liens that collectively seek somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 million. The suits allege Perkins Rowe-and its developer, Tommy Spinosa-didnt pay its bills, a situation Spinosa's attorneys consistently attribute in court records to defective workmanship.

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2009/ma...kins-woe-rlet1/

perkinsrowewalkwayvu.jpg

Nearly 75% of the 138 apartments available in Perkins Rowe have been leased, 60% of the 87 condominiums in Phase One are sold or under contract and several restaurant chains have broken first-year attendance records within their franchise groups.

perkinsrowefountain1vui.jpg

Cinemark has sued for $1.3 million for expenses Perkins Rowe was supposed to pay when the theater relocated from Marketplace Siegen Lane, and Fantastic Fountains has sued for nearly $300,000 for the fountain.

Edited by richyb83

Impressive variety of restaurants at the Rowe...and more on the way!! This article contains break-downs of each...Texas de Brazil; Kona Grill; LaMadeline; The Loft at Perkins Rowe; The Grape; The Grillroom; Califrnia Pizza Kitchen; Fish City Grill; Barnes & Noble Cafe and Starbucks

A Rowe-ful of food; New shopping area offers flavors for many tastes

Food selections that range from snow crab to crawfish, hamburgers to filet mignon, and fish tacos to lobster bisque are among the many gastronomic choices served up by the collection of spiffy restaurants at the new Perkins Rowe development.

Located on a 56-acre tract at the intersection of Perkins Road and Bluebonnet Boulevard, Perkins Rowe features restaurants, shops, offices, a 16-screen movie theater, a fitness center, an upscale grocery market, condos and apartments in a pedestrian-friendly setting designed to capture the flavor and feeling of an all-American town. A multistory garage provides free parking.

The 11 eating establishments offer selections that include exotic foods and down-home favorites served in settings that run from elegant to casual. Prices begin in the modest range and become quite pricey at several of the upscale eateries. One of the most appealing features of Perkins Rowe restaurants is the leafy patios and sidewalk cafe settings designed for relaxed open-air sipping and dining.

Owned and operated by JTS, a local real estate investment and development company, Perkins Rowe began operations in October 2007. A 165-room hotel and additional shops and restaurants are scheduled.

Most of the restaurants are within walking distance of each other, and all but one are part of national chains.

The Camellia Grill, (No. 12 on map) the venerable diner in uptown New Orleans, is planning to open a Perkins Rowe location near Barnes & Noble later this year.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/features/food/46268097.html

Here's a MAP of the Restuarant District at Perkins Rowe for now...

perkinsrowemap.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is CRAZY what just happened tonight!! :wacko:

EBRSO deputies disperse crowds, direct traffic at Perkins Rowe

Deputies were called to Perkins Rowe Saturday night to manage crowds and direct traffic after several fights broke out in and around the multi-use development, the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office reported.

The disturbance began around 9:25 p.m., when a security golf cart's tire blew out and many in the shopping and entertainment complex mistook the sound for gunfire, said Casey Rayborn Hicks, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff

Edited by richyb83

This is the stupidest thiing I've every heard. They thought they heard a gun shot so they started fihhting each other randomly? Sounds like one of those fight scenes from an Old West saloon. All I know is if I think I hear gun shots, I'ma grab the people I came there with and run! :scared:

This is the stupidest thiing I've every heard. They thought they heard a gun shot so they started fihhting each other randomly? Sounds like one of those fight scenes from an Old West saloon. All I know is if I think I hear gun shots, I'ma grab the people I came there with and run! :scared:

Some kids were arrested for disturbing the peace....

Per EBRPSO's request, the nearby Rave stopped allowing anyone under 18 into the theater past a certain time because of crime and noise complaints. Sounds like that element moved to Perkins Rowe.

I am reading a book right now titled, "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" by Jane Jacobs. The book was written in the 60's but its message still pertains to this day. That message is that you can't create a city wether its a TND or the "projects." Unfortunately, Perkins Rowe will fail and it looks like that failure is coming sooner rather than later. Its a very good book and I'm only halfway through it, I recommend reading it.

I am reading a book right now titled, "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" by Jane Jacobs. The book was written in the 60's but its message still pertains to this day. That message is that you can't create a city wether its a TND or the "projects." Unfortunately, Perkins Rowe will fail and it looks like that failure is coming sooner rather than later. Its a very good book and I'm only halfway through it, I recommend reading it.

You are probably right.

What will help it's longevity would be attracting actual residences to the development. Otherwise, it's just a mall, which will decline as soon as the next best thing is built.

Perkins Rowe is still not well connected to the surrounding residential areas, and the home sales in the development is pretty disappointing, although I suppose we could place some blame on the economy, as home sales everywhere have dried up.

Let me know about the book when you are done. I'm still reading Kunstler's books.

Edited by cajun

• 7 months later...

Hey folks. I was directed over here from someone at Skyscraperpage. I recently moved to the BR area and was really taken by this project's blend of the ridiculous and sublime. The last time I spent any extensive time in BR (late '05 and early '06) it only existed on paper and most of Baton Rouge was still reeling from the arrival of so many Katrina evacuees.

So now the first phase is complete, and many of the existing tenants seem to be doing well. The problem is: there don't seem to be very many existing tenants. Perkins Rowe looks just barely half occupied, and though there are several lucrative "Coming Soon" signs, some friends have told me that those signs have been up for months. And it also appears than one less successful restaurant (Fish City Grill) has already closed. Based on the discussions here, the Camellia Grill is either stalled or has pulled out.

Considering all the lawsuits and the way this development opened at the dawn of one of the worst market cycles, is Perkins Rowe in serious trouble? I haven't read anything new about the project for the last six months, so I'd be very interested in what some of you who have been following it more closely would have to say.

Some of my questions:

What happened to Camellia Grill or Johnny Rockets?

Any word on the construction quality of the residential units?

What about the amenities or special features offered to condo owners? I read somewhere the people are paying condo fees for "shared facilities" that have yet to open, and are quite vexed about it.

Did any tenants from the Mall of Louisiana terminate their lease so they could open at Perkins Rowe?

I'd love to hear what others are saying about this, and what its future appears to be as the economy is slowly improving.