Perkins Rowe

richyb83

Adding to the good idea BRPJ had about making the area unique and "stand-out" like Houston's Uptown...."The Waterway at Bluebonnet" ?? similar to this one at The Woodlands TX 30 miles north of downtown Houston.

Carve out Dawson Creek into a waterway similar to this. Connecting Perkins Rowe with The Grove and The Boulevard(Mall of La.) with walking paths and water taxi. I only wish the future 12-story Radisson was on the opposite side of Bluebonnet closer to this waterway. I guess I can dream???? :rolleyes:

serveneighborimglc0.jpg

I colored in Dawson Creek where this waterway could be connecting Perkins Rowe-The Grove. I added where the Perkins/Picardy connector will be located on the east-edge of PR with new connections to Wimbeldon Estates. And a connection/bridge from The Grove to The Settlement @ Willow Grove(probably won't happen?) I also shaded Ward's Creek(north of The Grove) That could be Phase II of the Waterway

The big purple "X" could be for more an expansion for Perkins Rowe and some mid-rise condo's(maybe 8 stories) on the other side of Dawson Creek on the giant surface parking lot at the World Ministries.

creekxg6.png

*sorry the aerial is not more updated.....land for The Grove has been cleared;The Settlement at Willow Grove has started; the Picardy overpass has been complete; and Perkins Rowe is much further along.

Edited by richyb83

lg_as_sitedesign.jpg

I've been on a little trip to Atlanta with my parents for the last couple of days and while we were there my dad and I went by Atlantic Station and let me tell ya'll, you should all be very proud of Perkins Rowe because it is better. But before I start up some controversy let me give ya'll a complete run down.

Atlantic Station is made up of four componets excluding the single-family homes: townhouses, apartment buildings , towers, and the actual shopping with lofts above portion.The townhomes were very nice and had very nice use of stone and paint colors. Th 3/4 story apartments buildings were nicer than any in Baton Rouge with a very modern/contemporary look. The towers were nice, but average.

Now for the run down of the actual shopping district. Like ours, it consisted of stores with lofts on top and also a movie theater and the similarities stop there. Atlatic Station has a small selection of shops, most of which I'm sure you could find in every mall in Atlanta and Baton Rouge. Also the architecture is lacking, all the buildings are the same. It does have one thing that blows our component of that thing out of the water which is transportation as they have a subway station. In light of all that it was still nice and had a whole lot of people walking around. But regardless of who's is better, both BR and ATL are making some very good names for themselves. :thumbsup:

untitledjb6.png

Edited by dan326

I only wish the future 12-story Radisson was on the opposite side of Bluebonnet closer to this waterway. I guess I can dream???? :rolleyes:

Where is the 12-story Radisson going to be? This isn't the Wampold hotel in the Swaggart dorm is it?

I think Richy is referring to the old Swaggart dorm which is supposed to be a Renaissance Hotel, not a Raddison.

Thanks for clearing that up Bryde; that's what I meant Renaissance, not a Radisson(though that would be nice/esp. downtown!). I don't know what my problem was, maybe the lingering effects of my ear infection :lol: ......and thanks Bryde for the props for my proposed waterway at Bluebonnet:thumbsup:

Dan, When you say Perkins Rowe is better than Atlantic Station....is it bec. of the architecture mostly or the mix-use set-up?? I have heard good and bad about Atlantic Station, wouldn't mind going to visit.

Market Street in The Woodlands was neat.

Dan, When you say Perkins Rowe is better than Atlantic Station....is it bec. of the architecture mostly or the mix-use set-up?? I have heard good and bad about Atlantic Station, wouldn't mind going to visit.

The architecture and shopping selection. The architecture of the actual shopping district is bland and all the buildings look the same(because they are copies of each other).The mixed use setup is the same as ours, stores with lofts above and offices on the outskirts. The shopping selection is small, probaby less than 20 stores; and except for a few, nothing special or upscale. It's still neat to go see though,but if you want to do some serious shopping, you'll be better off at a mall.

I live in Atlanta, and I have to disagree somewhat about the stores at Atlantic Station being nothing special. Atlantic Station has the only West Elm in Atlanta. It also has an Ikea- also the only location in the metro, although I've heard another is planned. This is also the only Ikea I know of in a city center- most are located in suburban areas. H&M; a trendy Swedish clothing store for women will open a 2 story location in Atlantic Station this year. The last time I was in Baton Rouge, I drove by Perkins Rowe and was quite impressed with how things are looking. Perkins Rowe also has an impressive list of retailers.

I live in Atlanta, and I have to disagree somewhat about the stores at Atlantic Station being nothing special. Atlantic Station has the only West Elm in Atlanta. It also has an Ikea- also the only location in the metro, although I've heard another is planned. This is also the only Ikea I know of in a city center- most are located in suburban areas. H&M; a trendy Swedish clothing store for women will open a 2 story location in Atlantic Station this year. The last time I was in Baton Rouge, I drove by Perkins Rowe and was quite impressed with how things are looking. Perkins Rowe also has an impressive list of retailers.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to start any trouble, but you are right it does have some special stores, which is why I said "most" weren't special rather than "all". IKEA is very special, only huge cities/metros have those.

Edited by dan326

Atlantic Station looks massive! I thought it looked like a great infil development. I kinda wish Perkins Rowe would be closer to downtown; but I am still glad to see where it's located.

More Perkins Rowe news in today's Real Estate Weekly from Business Report. I like the last sentence.

Accounting firm moving into Perkins Rowe

LaPort Sehrt Romig Hand, a New Orleans-based accounting firm that last year merged with The Gautreau Group, is moving into the Perkins Rowe development in May. The agency will lease 6,000 square feet in the same building as the Cinemark movie theater. William T. Mason, managing director for LSRH, says the new offices are twice as large as the firm's current location off Bluebonnet Boulevard. Mason says the firm needed more room because of plans to hire more employees. LSRH currently has 15 employees in Baton Rouge and looks to hire three to five more in the next year. Crissie Head, a partner with LSRH, says moving into Perkins Rowe will help the company attract employees. "Younger professionals like this kind of environment, where they can meet clients for coffee, work out and go shopping for groceries, all without getting in a car," she said. --Timothy Boone

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/rea...-weekly/latest/

Got some shots today of Southeast BR's "unofficial" downtown. Sorry not the best lighting; a little later in the afternoon. When walking down Perkins Rowe you almost get the feel of being in an entirely different city. A few stores and shops are open; but many more to come by Spring. 80% of the tenants are totally new to the Louisiana market. I dig the street grid too.

Part of Perkins Rowe from a distance

perkinsrowe08018am7.jpg

Looking down Perkins Rowe Avenue

perkinsrowe08017su6.jpg

perkinsrowe08003nf7.jpg

perkinsrowe08006me7.jpg

Further down the Rowe

perkinsrowe08008sk6.jpg

Location of the future 5-story Hilton Garden Inn; retail; bank branch at street level; hotel on top.

perkinsrowe08001wu6.jpg

Residential Lofts above Barnes & Noble on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors

perkinsrowe08009jf2.jpg

:shades: Check out the lofts w/ bay-windows on the right; got the chance to look inside of some of the units; very impressive!

perkinsrowe08005pj4.jpg

perkinsrowe08016ic6.jpg

The next phase of construction

perkinsrowe08011aa2.jpg

The 6-story Wells Fargo bldg. far right background

perkinsrowe08013rt3.jpg

The NeuroMedical Center; Perkins Rowe's first building

perkinsrowe08002vb3.jpg

I think California Pizza Kitchen will be at the building on bottom right with stones, if not it's next door to the right off the pic; Kona Grill is going up on the other side of the Town Square.

perkinsrowe08015qm3.jpg

An off-shoot from the first pic; crane in far background on-going construction w/ the next phase

perkinsrowe08019qk0.jpg

Would like to have taken more pics, short on time. esp. the street signage that is cool and the billboards next to Cinemark. Perkins Rowe has just about everything for the Live/Work/Play enviroment.

Edited by richyb83

Perkins Rowe look really cool... and there is a great list of retailers.

I just wish that the Renaissance Town Center would be able to attract some of the same retailers....

and I wish they didnt use the French Quarter theme... I mean to me its already played out. I wish they waould have used a more modern glass and stucco type of look..

GREAT PICTURES... Ill have to make the trip up there from New Orleans to go shop.

Dan, Not a problem :) I usually don't come to the defense of Atlanta development too often, but I enjoy Atlantic Station. Very urban and very walkable, and it keeps getting better. You are right about the architecture being somewhat bland though, but It does have a very urban feel to it. It reminds me a bit of Union Station in SF. Atlantic Station also has some very impressive highrise office buildings and condos.

Good pics richy. You are right about the location of CPK. They will be in the stone building and the Grill Room will be in the location that looks like a church.

Nola, where is Renaissance Town Center?

The Renaissance Town Center is in Eastern New Orleans on the site of the former Lake Forest Plaza Mall. Its exact local is at I-10 and Read Blvd.

Basically its going to be an outdoor shopping center (1.2 million sqft.). Contain offices, retail, residential, a hotel, etc. A cinema is already constructed on the site but it flooded during Katrina.

Currently Lowe's is building one of its largest stores in its entire chain at the center. (140,000 sqft.)

The website is renaissancetowncenter.com

So far they haven't revealed any other tenants.

The Renaissance Town Center is in Eastern New Orleans on the site of the former Lake Forest Plaza Mall. Its exact local is at I-10 and Read Blvd.

Basically its going to be an outdoor shopping center (1.2 million sqft.). Contain offices, retail, residential, a hotel, etc. A cinema is already constructed on the site but it flooded during Katrina.

Currently Lowe's is building one of its largest stores in its entire chain at the center. (140,000 sqft.)

The website is renaissancetowncenter.com

So far they haven't revealed any other tenants.

I am glad to hear that there is some residential going up in New Orleans. That particular part of the Mixed use development is going to be HOT. There are some nicer homes in that area, too. I am not sure if they survived the storm or not....I know that the Jazzland area and most of New Orleans East is partucuarly low, but I haven't been in that part of town since before Katrina.

And New Orleans is probably one of the most lucrative markets for a home improvement store like Lowe's. I'd pay big money to open a Lowes up in New Orleans right now.

Adding to the good idea BRPJ had about making the area unique and "stand-out" like Houston's Uptown...."The Waterway at Bluebonnet" ?? similar to this one at The Woodlands TX 30 miles north of downtown Houston.

Carve out Dawson Creek into a waterway similar to this. Connecting Perkins Rowe with The Grove and The Boulevard(Mall of La.) with walking paths and water taxi. I only wish the future 12-story Radisson was on the opposite side of Bluebonnet closer to this waterway. I guess I can dream???? :rolleyes:

serveneighborimglc0.jpg

I colored in Dawson Creek where this waterway could be connecting Perkins Rowe-The Grove. I added where the Perkins/Picardy connector will be located on the east-edge of PR with new connections to Wimbeldon Estates. And a connection/bridge from The Grove to The Settlement @ Willow Grove(probably won't happen?) I also shaded Ward's Creek(north of The Grove) That could be Phase II of the Waterway

The big purple "X" could be for more an expansion for Perkins Rowe and some mid-rise condo's(maybe 8 stories) on the other side of Dawson Creek on the giant surface parking lot at the World Ministries.

creekxg6.png

*sorry the aerial is not more updated.....land for The Grove has been cleared;The Settlement at Willow Grove has started; the Picardy overpass has been complete; and Perkins Rowe is much further along.

I missed this. That would be a great Idea!!! I was thinking that the creek was in the way, but that be great to implement it into the plan. WOw great idea! If only we could see all this happen.

But its these kinda over the top projects we need to distingiush ourselves. Though perkins rowe seems like some out of this world to the average baton rougean, to a texan, or some one from atlanta they look at it as a nice shopping center. We should distingiush this whole area of town as something special, then i think we are really on to soemthing.

I agree to most people here the Perkins Rowe development is a bad idea and looks horrible, it's just that this is something new and different for them. If more people in this city would get out and see what other cities have done they would realize that we need different approaches to make our city stand out from the rest. I can only hope that is is the first of many more developments that will be different and unique to BR.

• 2 months later...

Wonder what it will look like?? Perkins Rowe has undergone many changes since the original plan. Will the brownstones still be included? The Hilton Garden Inn should be starting anytime now. The walking/bike path along Dawson Creek should be a plus. Wish Perkins Rowe was somewhere downtown.

The website says "a world-class,full-service" so the main one (the site plan calls for two hotels) won't be a Hilton Garden Inn(this brand is limited service). Maybe this is the rumored Ritz Carlton, although I don't see then building in a project like Perkins Rowe. I say that because while Perkins Rowe is is nice, I don't know if it's quite up to par with Ritz. Also the smallest non-tourist city it is in/going to building in is Charlotte. Whatever it is it says it sits on a garage in the site rendering so, it should be at least 7 stories tall.

Yellow stands for hotel, darker grey is the parking garages.

untitledjb6.png

Edited by dan326