Granby Tower

utcltjay

Well, this confirms that the building can not be made of steel.  It will be a concrete structure.  Which means that the cieling heights will only be 8'.  Not exactly what you would expect in a high rise condo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably concrete with a glass and steel curtain. Why do you say only 8 ft though, that does seem extraordinarily short? In order to reach 350 (since the spire is confirmed at 100) then we'd need 11.29 ft per floor. Does that mean that 3.29ft is for duct work, etc. ? The reason i'm asking is that i could have sworn in one of the articles they said it would have 9ft ceilings. If so, where does that put us for height?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all knew this but I'm just confirming...

Reply from author of Grandby article

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is really disappointing. It will essentially be the height of Dominion Tower with a 100 ft antenna on top. I hope they at least make the spire nice and not something cheesy like the AH building.

You have to take the thickness of the floors too and probably the first couple of floors are going to be taller than the condo floors. I thought they said there is going to be retail the first couple of floors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, floors can run anywhere from 8 - 12". First floor will probably be in the 20' range. So 11' per floor. If 12" floor than only leaves 10'. They might be able to squeeze the m.e.p clearings to 1', doubtful though, to get the 9' ceilings.

That is really disappointing.  It will essentially be the height of Dominion Tower with a 100 ft antenna on top.  I hope they at least make the spire nice and not something cheesy like the AH building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The difference between this and AH is that it is at least physically 10ft taller than dominion as opposed to AH being physically some 50ft shorter. :o Plus, given this buildings location, it's really going to stand out. I'm not really disappointed because i've been thinking it was 350 all along and had already prepared myself for this possibility. That being said, this building will really make and impact on the skyline.

The difference between this and AH is that it is at least physically 10ft taller than dominion as opposed to AH being physically some 50ft shorter.  :o Plus, given this buildings location, it's really going to stand out. I'm not really disappointed because i've been thinking it was 350 all along and had already prepared myself for this possibility. That being said, this building will really make and impact on the skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my only concern is that the only true stand out will be the spire, so in that case i hope they make it presentable whereas i see the AH spire as ugly and cheap looking.

my only concern is that the only true stand out will be the spire, so in that case i hope they make it presentable whereas i see the AH spire as ugly and cheap looking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but i'm sure with a building this classy they wouldn't just throw it all away by putting on some piece of crap spire. I think the buildings design coupled with it's height in that area will make it stand out plenty though.

True, but i'm sure with a building this classy they wouldn't just throw it all away by putting on some piece of crap spire. I think the buildings design coupled with it's height in that area will make it stand out plenty though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's not forget that the tallest thing next to it is around the 200' mark, if that. And, while it is only 10' taller than the Dominion, it is taller and the tower will look more like part of the building than a tower. So it will look like its a 400' building more than not.

The spire almost looks as if it is an oberservation tower on top of the building so that would look cool . Either way it's going to add to the skyline. I just hope that there is alot more of this to come. Height isn't everything and it would be great to see dt Norfolk skyline become alot more dense.

The spire almost looks as if it is an oberservation tower on top of the building so that would look cool . Either way it's going to add to the skyline. I just hope that there is alot more of this to come. Height isn't everything and it would be great to see dt Norfolk skyline become alot more dense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't think of a better place to put an observation tower combined with a rooftop restaurant. man that place would do some business. You could charge for the observation tower and I gaurantee it would still draw people. There would be nothing like it within 300 miles at least.

Couldn't think of a better place to put an observation tower combined with a rooftop restaurant.  man that place would do some business.  You could charge for the observation tower and I gaurantee it would still draw people.  There would be nothing like it within 300 miles at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny thing is the security guard at the AH building told me before 9/11, TC officials planned on doing just that. I doubt that a condo would have an observation deck or restaurant for outsiders. It's more likely that a roof-top restaurant may be part of the Hilton tower or possibly the Westin, though its upper floors are condos. Does the VB Hilton have the highest restaurant in the area now?

I'm not sure if they consider it a "restaurant" per se but the VB Hilton does have a skybar and lounge on the 20th floor. Don't forget that the BoA building downtown has an actual restaurant on the 23rd floor. You have to be a member of some club to gain access though (at least to my knowledge). So, technically the BoA would be highest. At the Westin, instead of an actual penthouse, they plan to have a lounge for all the residents. This will probably take up floors 36 and 37.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the Westin lounge is just for the condo residents, not hotel guests or other patrons, right? So if I have to be a prominent businessman to get into the BofA one, then the VB Hilton is the highest one now that is open to all-comers, right?

But the Westin lounge is just for the condo residents, not hotel guests or other patrons, right?  So if I have to be a prominent businessman to get into the BofA one, then the VB Hilton is the highest one now that is open to all-comers, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even the one at VB Hilton may only be open to hotel guest. I'm not entirely sure because i haven't actually tried to go up there yet. You would think someone would have come up with something thats open to the general public by now. It would most likely net the developer a lot of cash.

Even the one at VB Hilton may only be open to hotel guest. I'm not entirely sure because i haven't actually tried to go up there yet. You would think someone would have come up with something thats open to the general public by now. It would most likely net the developer a lot of cash.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well this area is just starting to look beyond the military as a cash cow now. Once this area becomes more of a business haven you might see things like this appear in the area. Just like the possibilities of pro sports to the area, this will be the production of the great businesses settling into this area!

These boards are amazing.  We go from the Granby Tower to cargo tonnage at VIT.  To get back on track (i.e. Granby Tower) I make a transitional comment about longshoremen owning condos.  Now we're discussing what's the mean, median, and mode household incomes of VB.  So the mean (avg) is $55k, the median (middle) is $85k, and who knows what the mode (most often) is.  I'll hazard a guess that it's $48,565.  Let's try this again.  What will be the mean income of those buying condos in the Granby Tower?  Will there be flipping happening?  What about renting out a purchased condo?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: Way ahead of you Hoobo. I've already moved the comments to the conglomerate Hampton Roads Housing/Real Estate/ and Economy thread.

Wow, an observation deck on top of Granby would be just amazing!! Imagine the downtown pics. You can see Portsmouth well too, I'm sure. and on a clear day, TC!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Seeing Willy's great photos, especially the bird's eye view ones made me think that an observation deck on one of Norfolk's new buildings would be a popular attraction. You'd be getting a great view of the neighborhoods and where land and the water meet.

I have just been by the Granby tower site. They have erected a massive sign with the new rendering at the corner of Boush and Bute. At the corners of Granby and Bute and Granby and Brambleton they have erected the sign platforms but the renderings aren't up yet (though they probably will be soon).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The other sign platforms now have the new rendering up as well. They look very nice :) .

• 2 weeks later...

Rubin Communications has updated their site. They proudly proclaim Granby to be the "tallest fully residential building in Hampton Roads" (splitting hairs are we? :rofl: ). Correct me if i'm wrong, but i do believe that Granby will be the tallest fully residential building in the state, even without the spire. Can anyone find any statistics on this? At any rate, here's the news release. Granby Tower

Nothing has changed really. The Granby is the tallest fully residential building in Hampton Roads, period. Westin may be tallest building, but it is not all residential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my point exactly, hence my splitting hairs comment. Westin is still the tallest period, but it is not fully residential as stated.

Archived