Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

The old Third National building (Courtyard) is older than Stahlman and American Trust. I believe it dates to around 1903? Stahlman is something like 1908-9, and American Trust is 1925.

I have heard it referred to as Nashville's first skyscraper as well (though high rise is far more accurate). 

"Skyscraper" is a relative term.  In the late 19th century, the first "skyscraper" in Chicago was 10 stories tall.  Whereas Nashville's 30-something buildings would be considered midrise buildings if they were built in downtown Chicago today.

Edited by bwithers1

"Skyscraper" is a relative term.  In the late 19th century, the first "skyscraper" in Chicago was 10 stories tall.  Whereas Nashville's 30-something buildings would be considered midrise buildings if they were built in downtown Chicago today.

I agree that context has something to do with it. I think the standard for a skyscraper in Nashville was set with L&C. When it was built, it dominated over other buildings. I don't think that anything shorter than L&C is necessarily 'not' a skyscraper....but the 300-400 ft buildings certainly stand out against the rest.

I believe it also refers to the way the structure is built.  That is, a "traditional" building would have been built with brick load bearing walls.  In the early days a "skyscraper" simply had a steel frame with a facade, allowing it to be built more than about 6 or 7 floors.  I believe that is what is meant in the case of Third National.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few developments than Daniel, Bob, and I missed on our little tour Saturday (taken this afternoon):

Melrose Lanes development:

xYGyOA1.jpg

XHyaphM.jpg

(with old skool Kroger sign in the foreground)

12th South:

8peGGLO.jpg

with a Jeni's Ice Creams on the ground floor.

Belmont (I forget which of the 30,000 Belmont projects this is -- I'm guessing dorms -- east side of 15th, just north of Bernard).

QtvRFCh.jpg

I will add more -- right now, it is taking FOR EVER to upload these.

• Like 4

Thank you guys for the spectacular pictures.  There are so many landscape changing projects going up around Nashville.  I like them... although that Hill project in 12South is a bit "off" for my tastes.  Gotta like the density it brings to an area that was dormant not too long ago. 

More Belmont:

Looking down 15th:

Gx9zyF5.jpg

Downtown in the background:

63lyv74.jpg

Big hole on the east side of the lawn (I forget if this is where the cafeteria building is going -- I think Ron would know):

QN2MdHb.jpg

Law school I think?

KjvfqtV.jpg

Little infill project on Burns Ave (off Long Blvd) in West End Park:

RAdocaU.jpg

Lots of these pocket infill projects are popping up around town...5...10...20...even 40-50 units at a time, high density, single family. I could have shot dozens more of these little developments and individual houses that are starting to take over in the inner city hoods. For the most part, they are occupying unassuming 50s-70s housing that was built as these areas were in decline. Some even take empty fields or former industrial/warehouse land.

(back side):

4BXK2cG.jpg

• Like 3

All of those infill projects are adding up and there seems to be an endless supply of those. I will be curious to see how many new residents will be added to the downtown/midtown area. I am about to stop putting a lot of those projects on the map.

BTW, thanks for the pix

It's really hard to say at this point. Luckily (from a statistical/Census perspective), this is happening early in the decade, so we should really be able to see it in the numbers for the next official Census. When we had the condo boom, it was only partly underway when the housing bubble hit, and I don't think we got a realistic count of what the Gulch population was.

As for the infill housing...I think a lot of it was abandoned/vacant around the last Census count...so any resident that moves in will be a +1 to the Census count, as opposed to displacing residents.

I think we're going to see several new tracts top both the 5,000 and 10,000 ppsm threshold by the next Census.

Ah, forgot one...

Uri70cr.jpg

It's the widest single shot I could get. It shows about 2 miles worth of skyline (First American/Regions/UBS Tower on left to Park Central and the Carmichael Towers on the right. With a pano, you could get close to another half mile, but from that particular point, you can't actually see the entire West End corridor (because of the hill around West End Park).

I really want to get up in the transmission tower on this hill, because it would provide an unobstructed 360 degree view.

• Like 1

Where did you take the head-on shots from ?

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.121214,-86.753035&spn=0.001866,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=36.121214,-86.753035&panoid=SkQqI9vprVHUNDK-p_2B8Q&cbp=12,328.96,,0,4.84

The parking lot to the left has a clear, unobstructed view of downtown. It is my new favorite vista, because it is absolutely perfectly aligned with the street grid (draw a line from that parking lot to 5th Ave at Church and you'll see what I mean). It makes the buildings look taller because of the straight-on perspective.

That is my shot, but I can't take credit for the inspiration. I found someone on Flickr that took that shot, and after some investigating, I found the location. I'll post the "original" shot when I can find it.

*edit -- I meant the parking lot on the left*

Edited by UTgrad09

Dude, that's right by where I work!  (I work in the bland office parks down the street).  When I look out my window, which faces west, I can see straight up the hill to the Belmont campus with cranes everywhere, and then on to the Vanderbilt campus with cranes everywhere just past that.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.121214,-86.753035&spn=0.001866,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=36.121214,-86.753035&panoid=SkQqI9vprVHUNDK-p_2B8Q&cbp=12,328.96,,0,4.84

The parking lot to the left has a clear, unobstructed view of downtown. It is my new favorite vista, because it is absolutely perfectly aligned with the street grid (draw a line from that parking lot to 5th Ave at Church and you'll see what I mean). It makes the buildings look taller because of the straight-on perspective.

Dude, that's right by where I work!  (I work in the bland office parks down the street).  When I look out my window, which faces west, I can see straight up the hill to the Belmont campus with cranes everywhere, and then on to the Vanderbilt campus with cranes everywhere just past that.

That area is definitely a high point with some good all-around views. Where I was, though, didn't have a great shot of Belmont. I also took a shot where you could see some of The Gulch and Midtown, but the hills in the foreground (Reservoir, Negley) sort of chop down the height of the buildings:

rcsJiBB.jpg

Though it's fun to imagine what that shot will look like with Hensler's tower...and the new roundabout building might just peek out (just to the left of the faintly visible crane near the hillside), and of course, if WES ever digs itself out of the hole its in.

Here's the other side of downtown, with Rolling Mill & Rutledge Hills in view. You can barely see the lights of LP Field...and this is another funky perspective, because you can see the stadium, but nothing else in East Nashville. In fact, nothing in view goes east of I-24. The hills in the background are the Trinity Hills, and on back to Whites Creek.

3TGcwrJ.jpg

More Belmont:

Looking down 15th:

Gx9zyF5.jpg

Downtown in the background:

63lyv74.jpg

Big hole on the east side of the lawn (I forget if this is where the cafeteria building is going -- I think Ron would know):

QN2MdHb.jpg

Law school I think?

KjvfqtV.jpg

Little infill project on Burns Ave (off Long Blvd) in West End Park:

RAdocaU.jpg

Lots of these pocket infill projects are popping up around town...5...10...20...even 40-50 units at a time, high density, single family. I could have shot dozens more of these little developments and individual houses that are starting to take over in the inner city hoods. For the most part, they are occupying unassuming 50s-70s housing that was built as these areas were in decline. Some even take empty fields or former industrial/warehouse land.

(back side):

4BXK2cG.jpg

The Law School at Belmont is complete. The project that you have in the photo is the new Academic Building. The hole is the new garage and cafeteria, and the building across the street on 15th is a new residence hall.

The project @ Burns and Long is the West Park Village. That is being done by Dale and Associates.

There is not much I cant put my finger on. I may be up for a drive soon and a photo run, but someone else will have to drive. Too hard to drive and shoot photos for me right now. There are tons of infill projects going on in E Nash., Salemtown, The Nations, 10 and 12 S area, Sylvan Park, Acklen Park and just about anywhere else you want to drive to in Nashville. I know William had an article in the Post a couple of days ago about Regent doing a number of Condo projects in the West End area. Those small projects really add up and are easy to finance right now. Regent is also doing even more on Nolensville road at Lenox Village. There are always building permits being issued there.