28 Story Bldg for Bass, Berry?

MidTenn1

It looks similar to the Frost Bank in Austin. I's like to see more crown to it. It looks like someone took the weedeater to it and chopped off the spire. Overall I like it but it needs more top.

I thought that too -- it's like the low-budget Frost building. The exterior of the parking portion needs to be better integrated with the tower.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rendering, while attractive, doesn't reveal much of the color, detail and texture of the facade of the building. I suppose it is primarily being used to show the building's relationship to its surroundings. The squared-off top, as opposed to some kind of spire, also serves to lessen the apparent impact of the building on the SoBro (ugh!) skyline.

150ThirdAvenueSrendering14.jpg

From the previous descriptions of the facade, (i.e. verticle bands of limestone, granite and glass) the facade may look more like the Bell South Tower's facade.

Spring023.jpg

They know they have a tough fight and the renderings are what is going to sell this project. But, it appears that the rendering and look of the building were intentionally 'dumbed down' a bit, solely for PR purposes.

I think it will look better on the ground than what the renderings show.

This is a test to see if this works. I finally think I figured out this ftp thing. Here is a link through our site of one image of the rendering. I know it's up here after I emailed the renderings to everyone under the sun.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/documents/NP_...Srendering2.pdf

Richard, I can see the picture. I really like the lines on this building, however I think that it could use one or more "terraces" at the top to make it seem like the building just isn't lopped off. One interesting thing about this rendering that you just posted is the interaction between the bridge and the building. It looks like the main entrance is oriented in that direction, I will be interested to see what they propose on the bottom floor. Hopefully they will make use of their prime location next to it. So I guess I've got mixed feelings on this project so far.

I had already liked the building based on the smaller rendering... but with this rendering where we can see the relationship of hte building to the pedestrian bridge and to the symphony hall all I can say is AWESOME!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! And I agree with Frankliner.. some more "terraces" and a little tweaking and this building will be GORGEOUS!!!

I'm actually starting to root for the baseball stadium and surrouding condo's to take their cues from the symphony hall and this building.

I'm actually starting to root for the baseball stadium and surrouding condo's to take their cues from the symphony hall and this building.

Good call there. That development will be pretty important to SoBro, I will be interested to see what architectural style they take their cues from.

Sorry, but it's too "fat" for my tastes. I'd rather see something 10 stories higher with less horizontal volume. This design takes away from our beautiful skyline in my opinion. As someone said earlier, it's very squatty and looks like the top has been chopped off. It's reminiscent of all the bad skyscrapers built in the late 60's and early 70's. Yuck.

Do you guys think this will get approved? And if so, why wouldn't they approve 22 stories for Encore, but will approve 28 stories for this project?

If this building does get approved at 400 or whatever feet, I could see Tony asking to add some floors to Encore. Maybe the height restrictions are too, uh, restrictive? I don't know.

If this building does get approved at 400 or whatever feet, I could see Tony asking to add some floors to Encore. Maybe the height restrictions are too, uh, restrictive? I don't know.

It's my understanding that Barry is proposing a building that will feature architectural details and materials similar to what you would expect to see on AAA commerical buildings in Atlanta/NY/Chicago etc. They are also including a green roof though I don't know if they plan to seek LEED certification; let's hope so. As such, I expect the city to stretch to accomodate them on the height. I'm glad to see Encore adding people to the neighborhood but I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to suggest that the building's not likely to win any architectural or beuatification awards. 20 stories of Encore is enough IMO.

It's my understanding that Barry is proposing a building that will feature architectural details and materials similar to what you would expect to see on AAA commerical buildings in Atlanta/NY/Chicago etc. They are also including a green roof though I don't know if they plan to seek LEED certification; let's hope so. As such, I expect the city to stretch to accomodate them on the height. I'm glad to see Encore adding people to the neighborhood but I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to suggest that the building's not likely to win any architectural or beuatification awards. 20 stories of Encore is enough IMO.

Looks like the first shot across the bow has been fired by Richard Bernhardt, Executive Director for the Metro Planning Department in Today's Tennessean.

He doesn't necessarily come out against the building as proposed, but suggests the City should "discuss the vision for all of SoBro instead of considering SoBro one building at a time".

I'm inclined to agree that a discussion needs to be held. I'm also of the opinion, that confining high rise buildings to the CBD doesn't make economic sense, anymore as lots are very limited downtown and it's probably more of a sellers market. There is no other feasible way to expand the downtown high rise district other than going south. The benefits to building on that site for the tenents are proximity to restaurants, hotels and other attractions along Broadway. You wouldn't have this if you built in the gulch, East bank or north of the capitol.

Great job, Richard gettibg that FTP site up for the renderings. Seeing the larger rendering changes my whole view on the project too. I like it a lot. Let's build this thing!!!!

I'd like to make a test too. I'm going to try to post the rendering larger the SG did earlier. They won't be as large as on your FTP site though. Hopefully this will work. Here goes!

150_Third_Avenue_S_renderingSmall.jpg

150_Third_Avenue_S_rendering1Small.jpg

I guess it didn't post any bigger. Oh well, I tried.

He doesn't necessarily come out against the building as proposed, but suggests the City should "discuss the vision for all of SoBro instead of considering SoBro one building at a time".

Actually I thought that the vision had already been discussed, debated, concluded and published in the form of the new zoning guideline that was put in place for SoBro. So now that it's being put to the test, Barhard wants to go back to square one. Just how much stock did he put in the guidelines?

If you ask me, it sounds like he's backsliding a bit. I think this building points to the mistakes that have been made by his commission.

Maybe they are starting to see dollar signs with all the developers that are looking at the area. It can certainly change some things. I expect there will be a lot of political arm twisting taking place.

On the subject of the tower, that is a sky bridge to the building. I think they have a sky bridge in the proposal for the hotel at the Sounds stadium as well. Very interesting to see how Shelby St. Bridge is figuring into the picture. I also suspect that the parking portion of the office building will be opened up to the Symphony goers as well. It would be a money maker for Central who would undoubtedly run it.

Maybe they are starting to see dollar signs with all the developers that are looking at the area. It can certainly change some things. I expect there will be a lot of political arm twisting taking place.

On the subject of the tower, that is a sky bridge to the building. I think they have a sky bridge in the proposal for the hotel at the Sounds stadium as well. Very interesting to see how Shelby St. Bridge is figuring into the picture. I also suspect that the parking portion of the office building will be opened up to the Symphony goers as well. It would be a money maker for Central who would undoubtedly run it.

Considering that the dirt is owned now by Monroe Carell, who runs Central Parking, and family you are very likely correct on the parking arrangement

The building I can handle, the garage I cannot. I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again. Garages are an eyesore on our built environment and shuld AT LEAST be wrapped with street level retail, if not housing. If you are going to dedicate an entire block to the motorist, you should give a little aside to the pedestrian. These retail area's don't have to be 50k square ft., simply a few 5k sq. ft. small shops for a small private buisness.

Novare backed off asking for 22 stories for Encore. I'd assume that they wanted to get going asap vs. waiting a few months go get going through council. I am sure they woud like to add more floors if possible.

The building I can handle, the garage I cannot. I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again. Garages are an eyesore on our built environment and shuld AT LEAST be wrapped with street level retail, if not housing. If you are going to dedicate an entire block to the motorist, you should give a little aside to the pedestrian. These retail area's don't have to be 50k square ft., simply a few 5k sq. ft. small shops for a small private buisness.

Outside of the lobby for the office tower and garage entrances, the base of the garage is fully wrapped with retail, along Demonbreun, 2nd and 3rd. I am not sure about what is happening along Symphony Place on the north side of the building. I'd love to see a single loaded corridor of apartments above.

Actually I thought that the vision had already been discussed, debated, concluded and published in the form of the new zoning guideline that was put in place for SoBro. So now that it's being put to the test, Barhard wants to go back to square one. Just how much stock did he put in the guidelines?

If you ask me, it sounds like he's backsliding a bit. I think this building points to the mistakes that have been made by his commission.

Not exactly. The planning department did a limited study of the neighborhood. Some owners were consulted, but it was far from exhaustive. It was a study that was fewer than 20 pages written by a planner who is no longer in the department. It is really a set just a set of recomendations to guide development.

One other thought is that what Rick is refering to is that fact that the sub-area plan has not been updated in 9 or 10 years. As members of the City Council have called for, and as some SoBro property owners have asked for, it is time to reassess the area and master plan it. The Plan of Nashville is not official policy, nor did it have much depth about the area. The Gateway Blvd Desgin Guidelines did not address buildings fronting Molloy, Clark or Demonbreun Streets. It would be great to have policy in place that makes the playing field level. By setting what can be developed and guiding it, we can have a better neighborhood vs. one off developments.

I do not think this project should be slowed because of the need to master plan the area, but there are close to 100 more acres in SoBro from 1st to 10th that need to be addressed. What I think will come of it will be that this area is a part of the CBD and that there should be tall buildings mixed in with smaller buildings. Maybe someting along the lines of the Vancouver model?

Outside of the lobby for the office tower and garage entrances, the base of the garage is fully wrapped with retail, along Demonbreun, 2nd and 3rd. I am not sure about what is happening along Symphony Place on the north side of the building. I'd love to see a single loaded corridor of apartments above.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! I retract my previous statement. I guess I should have done my research. The building now has my full support.

Archived