The River Market

• 4 weeks later...

Here it is:

http://www.arkansasb...03.54928.138945

Juanita's moving to the River Market - Underground Pub is closing.

For Juanita's, the move is probably good business sense for them. The River Market also benefits since the 614 President Clinton location has never been able to keep tenants. Both the Wrought Iron Grill and Bill St. lasted less than a year, and both were on the downstairs portion only. Juanita's plans on using one level for the restaurant and the other for live music.

Unfortunately, this is bad news for SOMA, which heavily relies on Juanita's as one of the main population draws to the area.

I am not sure about the Underground Pub - I haven't been there much, but the few times I've been there, it was mostly empty, dirty, and loud.

Edited by LiteSalt

This will be good news for the Rivermarket for sure, The Underground Pub has gone down hill over the past few years. As mentioned its dirty for one and also they have lost several members of the staff and also even with a few attempts to lightly remodel in the past its business is not what it once was. I have gone in their several times with some friends and its either dead or dirty and annoying. I really think Juanita's will do well in The Rivermarket :D, just trying to think where this location is... is that the place going towards the Clinto Library right before the I30 Bridge? now one has to ask what will go in where Underground Pub was?

-RaVen

Edited by SangreRaVen

Here it is:

http://www.arkansasb...03.54928.138945

Juanita's moving to the River Market - Underground Pub is closing.

For Juanita's, the move is probably good business sense for them. The River Market also benefits since the 614 President Clinton location has never been able to keep tenants. Both the Wrought Iron Grill and Bill St. lasted less than a year, and both were on the downstairs portion only. Juanita's plans on using one level for the restaurant and the other for live music.

Unfortunately, this is bad news for SOMA, which heavily relies on Juanita's as one of the main population draws to the area.

I am not sure about the Underground Pub - I haven't been there much, but the few times I've been there, it was mostly empty, dirty, and loud.

Dugan's was the death knell for Underground Pub...it's in a totally different class, and people could find it.

Dugan's was the death knell for Underground Pub...it's in a totally different class, and people could find it.

I think if the Underground Pub had differentiated itself better and gone a little nicer with their restaurant, it might have made it. But they didn't, so that's too bad for them. I really like Dugan's, and every time I've gone it's been quite busy. It seems very popular with the downtown working crowd too- I see people from Stephens, Met, and various other downtown offices down there for lunch and after work pretty often.

Maybe someone with some money will come along with a good idea for a new English Pub or even maybe a German Pub O_O hehe.. and put it where Underground once was

-R

Actually, the German idea is a really good one and hasn't been done in this market (that I know of) yet. I could see something like that (an Oktoberfest themed restaurant and bar in the River Market? It'd be amazing.) working really well and with a decent remodel/renovation, the Underground Pub location could work (something would need to be done signage wise to make it more visible to people walking in the River Market though). Too bad I'm not in the restaurant business, or I might steal your idea :D .

Yeah where the Underground Pub was located kinda kept it hid away, so if something new goes in they will have to deal with making sure people know they are there. They could see about getting some signage out by the street, something of that nature and then add in if they actually do a good job word of mouth will help them. Whoever leases this spot will have some work on their hands for sure as it needs a pretty major remodel, especially the restrooms and such... I would think brighten the inside up with a lighter paint them and yes do it as a Oktoberfest style German Pub which would work well. I know their is Prost over on the other side of the Rivermarket Building at that is german but I would not call it a pub, its more of an upscale bar with the artwork and other stuff. This needs to be a really cool German Pub/Drinking House... or even maybe a nice Russian Vodka Bar :D

-R

Yeah where the Underground Pub was located kinda kept it hid away, so if something new goes in they will have to deal with making sure people know they are there. They could see about getting some signage out by the street, something of that nature and then add in if they actually do a good job word of mouth will help them. Whoever leases this spot will have some work on their hands for sure as it needs a pretty major remodel, especially the restrooms and such... I would think brighten the inside up with a lighter paint them and yes do it as a Oktoberfest style German Pub which would work well. I know their is Prost over on the other side of the Rivermarket Building at that is german but I would not call it a pub, its more of an upscale bar with the artwork and other stuff. This needs to be a really cool German Pub/Drinking House... or even maybe a nice Russian Vodka Bar :D

-R

Bowling Alley.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have some awesome news! I actually spoke to someone from Moses/Tucker and he told there is a planned hotel, multi-purpose multi-story building and about three other projects downtown in the very near future. He didn't go into detail, but stated he was very happy about all the new things coming in to

downtown. I stated downtown is growing up. He stated more will come soon as in skyscrapers.

I have some awesome news! I actually spoke to someone from Moses/Tucker and he told there is a planned hotel, multi-purpose multi-story building and about three other projects downtown in the very near future. He didn't go into detail, but stated he was very happy about all the new things coming in to

downtown. I stated downtown is growing up. He stated more will come soon as in skyscrapers.

I hadn't heard about the "three other projects" yet but that is certainly good news! As I mentioned a couple months back, the multi-use and hotel (same project you're talking about) is a long awaited welcome addition and I expect we'll see work starting before the end of the year. Little Rock has been doing well for itself in a down economy and I only hope that when things pick back up the development momentum will as well.

New establishment for the River Market. Redbone's Downtown will be opening in the former Fly Burrito space.

Also, Juanita's has opened and they have applied to become an after hours club in order to get some additional late night business.

What are the hours differences between a regular bar and an after hours club in Little Rock? I've always wondered why the River Market seemed to close up shop so early compared to some cities, forcing patrons to visit a place like Midtown if they wanted to continue their entertainment, but I am not yet familiar with the rules/regulations/etc. here.

What are the hours differences between a regular bar and an after hours club in Little Rock? I've always wondered why the River Market seemed to close up shop so early compared to some cities, forcing patrons to visit a place like Midtown if they wanted to continue their entertainment, but I am not yet familiar with the rules/regulations/etc. here.

A regular bar must close at either 1 or 2 AM while and after hours club can stay open until 5 AM.

New establishment for the River Market. Redbone's Downtown will be opening in the former Fly Burrito space.

Also, Juanita's has opened and they have applied to become an after hours club in order to get some additional late night business.

I really, really don't understand why Flying Burrito didn't make it...great food and reputation. My guess is visibility. We knew it was there and still had trouble accidentally walking past the place. It was so non-descript on the outside with little signage.

I really, really don't understand why Flying Burrito didn't make it...great food and reputation. My guess is visibility. We knew it was there and still had trouble accidentally walking past the place. It was so non-descript on the outside with little signage.

I have wondered the same thing. I loved their burritos. Very disappointed that they are closing. They always seemed more than busy enough to maintain the business when I went there.

Yeah I didn't even know it had closed. Seems like small NWA chains are having a hard time down in the Little Rock area. Guess Flying Burrito is down to it's 5 NWA locations and 1 Tulsa location. Maybe they can try again down there in a different location.

Yeah I didn't even know it had closed. Seems like small NWA chains are having a hard time down in the Little Rock area. Guess Flying Burrito is down to it's 5 NWA locations and 1 Tulsa location. Maybe they can try again down there in a different location.

If you will recall, the owners of the Flying Burrito in Little Rock were franchisees of the concept. They are now being sued by Flying Burrtio corporate, as they are trying to open their own Mexican Restaurant concept in the space, which triggers their non-compete agreement. Expect a battle...

If you will recall, the owners of the Flying Burrito in Little Rock were franchisees of the concept. They are now being sued by Flying Burrito corporate, as they are trying to open their own Mexican Restaurant concept in the space, which triggers their non-compete agreement. Expect a battle...

Ahhhh, thanks for the scoop. :thumbsup:

If you will recall, the owners of the Flying Burrito in Little Rock were franchisees of the concept. They are now being sued by Flying Burrtio corporate, as they are trying to open their own Mexican Restaurant concept in the space, which triggers their non-compete agreement. Expect a battle...

If Redbone's is already opened in the former Flying Burrito location, I'd say their chances of opening their own Mexican Restaurant concept in the space are slim and none.

What was the name of the place they reopened as? Harry & Garcia's or something like that? It was maybe open for a couple of days before met with a cease & desist order from Flying Burrito owners (I think).

Arkansas Business is reporting that Andina's Cafe is moving from the River Market Pavilion to the Tuf-Nut building on Third St. The is the second business to move into the TF building from the RMP. That will give the 3rd St./River Market Ave. area an additional place to eat/drink along with Dizzy's, ZIN, Dugan's, Copper Grill and Brown Sugar.

I wonder if the planed hotel at 3rd and River Market Ave. will contain space for a drinking/ dining establishment?

If Redbone's is already opened in the former Flying Burrito location, I'd say their chances of opening their own Mexican Restaurant concept in the space are slim and none.

What was the name of the place they reopened as? Harry & Garcia's or something like that? It was maybe open for a couple of days before met with a cease & desist order from Flying Burrito owners (I think).

That's right...

• 2 weeks later...

Harry & Jorge's, actually. Really was a shame about that place. In the brief time it was open, the food I had was quite good, and a different slant on Mexican than what Flying Burrito offers. But not different enough, it would seem. Any word on what Redbone's will specialize in?

Gator is on the menu so you can count me in.