Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly, any building will be an improvement over what's now on Broadway. I walked there this morning and was appalled: terrible sidewalks, run-down buildings, garbage everywhere, nasty streets, horse droppings, and cheap goods.

I CANNOT see what's worth saving--the place is pure junk.

You severly underestimate how good some of the existing buildings could be if they were spruced up a bit, and you severely overestimate how good the Westin project will be should it get built.

You sound a lot like the city fathers who demolished most of downtown in the 1950s and 60s, unable to see the excellent craftsmanship and timeless beauty under the patina of bad urban maintenance--and desperately in love with the imagined hyper-technological future of tall buildings and flourescent lighting.

At street level, doesn't this project spruce up these buildings a little bit?

I agree with you that we lost way too many buildings in the 50's and 60's and I don't want to see that happen again. This project is far better than what was done in the 50's and 60's. These buildings are not totally being torn down and lost forever as they were back then. We are not going to lose the buildings along Broadway, and there will be restoration taking place. It's sort or a hybrid project with some buildings torn down, some restored.

I think you must be talking about the Third Ave. side. There are no buildings on the Second Ave. side, just surface parking. From what I understand the buildings that will be demolished are two buildings on Broadway and two on Third. The two on Broadway are of more recent construction and made of cinder block and that ugly light brown shiny brick. The two on Third are a little more of value, in my opinion. One is the Richards and Richard building that on the outside looks much like the building on Broadway and Second where Big River is. The other building on Third is a law office, and I think they have to build to replicate the feeling of that building at street level and have retail there.

I think there will have to be a balance of old and new. If this gets approved, we will have to wait and see what the final project will look like. It seems as if many of the rendering we see do not give the true pictures of what the end product will look like. The developers still have a long way to go to see this project make it to reality.

I agree with you, in large part. I just disagreed with Brownhound's assertion that the whole area should be blown up and that the Westin would be some glorious and divine improvement. I think the area is a mixed bag, and I think the proposed Westin is a mixed bag...and mixed bags are neither my best, nor my worst, case scenarios.

As far as the street level goes, the new bits of the building will be cheezy-looking and probably kind of embarrassing--particularly on the 2nd Avenue side, where a somewhat-okay series of fine-grained embellished fa

Frankly, any building will be an improvement over what's now on Broadway. I walked there this morning and was appalled: terrible sidewalks, run-down buildings, garbage everywhere, nasty streets, horse droppings, and cheap goods.

I CANNOT see what's worth saving--the place is pure junk.

The area around the Schermorhorn, however, has the potential to be a first-rate area. Even the Bass Berry Tower--which would open up to the entrance of the hall--would make an improvement. Anything would improve this inner-city junk heap.

Also: Isn't the historical commission the same group that painted those tacky, trashy green stripes all over downtown?

Blown up? I hadn't thought about that option, but what an appealing idea! Nuke it! Send the Bubbas back to Coon-dog Hollow and Grinder's Switch!

As for New Towner: I think he's fond of the Oprah school of urban design: friendly spaces where we can hold hands and skip alongside beautiful avenues and lush green spaces. Indeed, this idea is most appealing, but who is to fund, construct, and maintain such an ambitious idea of utopia? We have to be realistic, however: Urban-design writs (overlays, et al) are often counter productive; they can prevent economic development and maintain the status quo.

Cheers!

I think you must be talking about the Third Ave. side. There are no buildings on the Second Ave. side, just surface parking. From what I understand the buildings that will be demolished are two buildings on Broadway and two on Third. The two on Broadway are of more recent construction and made of cinder block and that ugly light brown shiny brick. The two on Third are a little more of value, in my opinion. One is the Richards and Richard building that on the outside looks much like the building on Broadway and Second where Big River is. The other building on Third is a law office, and I think they have to build to replicate the feeling of that building at street level and have retail there.

I think there will have to be a balance of old and new. If this gets approved, we will have to wait and see what the final project will look like. It seems as if many of the rendering we see do not give the true pictures of what the end product will look like. The developers still have a long way to go to see this project make it to reality.

If I am reading this article correctly the Westin developers have now agreed to preserve the facade of the attorneys office on 3rd.

City Paper article

Anne Roberts says that the demolition of the buildings on 2nd(what buildings?) and 3rd(being preserved) will remove the area from the historic registry.

I might be missing something, but it seems to me that the developers are doing backflips for some people that just can't be pleased. Anne Roberts seems determined to stop this.

....am i correct to think that the only building being demolished now is the more recent cinder-block building on Broadway? If so, is it really THAT historic?

Sometimes some people get so hungry for development they forget about the past. My personal opinion is that i'd quickly take any of the structures that are currently on that site (except for maybe the cinder block structure) over a high-rise anyday. Most of those are lovely old structures that cannot be replaced. Now granted, just because something is old doesn't mean it is necessarily worth saving, but if we're going to knock it down we absolutely must make sure that what we are building in its place is of greater value.

I'm pleased to see this take time to get approved. I know most people want everything here and now as fast as they can get it, but the more time it takes the more finely tuned this project will be, and the more finely tuned the project, they better it is for downtown and for all of us. The fact that we will now have a new highrise AND be able to keep these historic structures is simply a testament of that. I simply don't understand why the folks that are trying to save these structures are being demonized by some people. In my opinion, they are doing a great service to the area.

The problem seems to be that some see beauty in the current buildings and others do not. I was last downtown in July and was actually in one of the buildings to be torn down(R&R). That building would take an enormous amount of time and money to be put to any substantial use, so much so that I doubt it would be possible to turn a profit.

I am not in love with the Westin by any means but it is a head and shoulders above what is currently there. Newtowner you want strength and beauty and utility. This building will be 'stronger' than the current buildings imo. The building may or may not be more beautiful, but it would not take much to be more beautiful than what is there now. And utility, well the current buildings now are barely being used or are being used to store documents. The current setup certainly does not lend itself to an active downtown. The new setup will be utilized by out of towners and locals.

Now I am no fan of the design, I believe it could and should look better(it seems like they are trying), but I think it is absurd how many hoops the developer is having to jump through. Does Anne Roberts know who and what pays her salary? Vacant lots do not.

Our associate who recently visited Nashville and was totally impressed even mentioned that lower Broad looked kind of shabby. So you don't get the wrong impression... he absolutely loves the honky tonks through there. But he described this particular block as needing a lot of work, and detracting from the "experience". He was there at wine on the river or bridge or something... I've never been to it.

Did they change the 'flag' of the Doctor's Bldg.? Here is a passage from the July announcement saying it would be a Homewood Suites Flagged property -

"The historic six-floor Doctor's Building at 706 Church Street was recently purchased by Indianapolis hotel developer Bharat Patel. His company, Sun Development & Management Corporation, which owns more than two dozen hotels in nine states. Published reports indicate the building will be converted into a Homewood Suites, part of the Hilton Hotels family. The building had been owned by the Hawkins family since the 1980s and Charles Hawkins Co., Inc. brokered the sale."

Just back from Memphis where I took a little stroll around downtown and through the Beale Street entertainment district. There were some interesting parallels to what Nashville is doing.

They already have built a Hampton Inn and are working on a Westin, so just for reference:

The Hampton Suites. Not too bad. It would fit in with the Gateway Blvd midrise environment well. We could do worse.

Memphis016.jpg

On the other hand, The Westin. We could do better.

Memphis021.jpg

I wonder what battles were fought, if any, over these proposals.

Archived