Lagniappe

NCB

Wow, looks like a beautiful beach/area there! Doesn't look very crowded in that photo either. ;)

It's weird for me to think that on 8/27/05 I woke up at about 10am, turned on The Weather Channel, and was extremely scared and suprised to see that Hurricane Katrina, which the night before was expected to hit the Big Bend area of the Florida Panhandle as a cat. 1 or 2, was now suddenly expected to slam right into New Orleans as at least a cat. 3. Something very scary to wake up too.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, looks like a beautiful beach/area there! Doesn't look very crowded in that photo either. ;)

It's weird for me to think that on 8/27/05 I woke up at about 10am, turned on The Weather Channel, and was extremely scared and suprised to see that Hurricane Katrina, which the night before was expected to hit the Big Bend area of the Florida Panhandle as a cat. 1 or 2, was now suddenly expected to slam right into New Orleans as at least a cat. 3. Something very scary to wake up too.

Wow, Nate. That's one of those situations where you recall where you were while it was going on. Very powerful!

Tommy... nice photo! Which beach is that!?

Wow, it seems like its been forever since it hit. Hows everyone taking it down there as the one year mark gets closer?

Wow, Nate. That's one of those situations where you recall where you were while it was going on. Very powerful!

Yea, I remember everything that happened from 8/27/05-10/05 like it was yesterday. It all happened so fast, that it feels like it was just yesterday to be honest with you. Normally for a hurricane like Katrina, you have about a week to prepare as they normally forcast if it will hit anywhere near you before it even gets into the Gulf. But since Katrina completely changed course so quickly, most people around here didn't even know about it coming here until Saturday night, and by Monday morning, we were in the middle of it.

Tommy... nice photo! Which beach is that!?

Thanks Brian :D The Outer Banks area is divided into towns, the 5 main ones are Corolla, Kitty Hawk, Nagshead, Oregon Inlet, and Kill Devil Hills. This shot was taken just south of Corolla.

Wow, it seems like its been forever since it hit. Hows everyone taking it down there as the one year mark gets closer?

As someone who actually went through it, it's weird how long ago it seems that day and the following events were. It feels like it was just yesterday I was sitting there watching CNN reporting live from Covington, and then my power went out. I wouldn't have my power back on until 30 days later. But anyway, everything that happened, from the storm passing, the levee's in New Orleans being breached, and me later having to go live with friends in Baton Rouge, seems like it was just yesterday, but then again it feels like it was ages ago. I really don't know how to explain it.

And about the one year anniversary of Katrina, it's going to be extremely stressful and hard for many people down here. When people around this area hear "August 29" it's similar to what people around the nation think when they here "September 11." Very sad and tragic thoughts that are tough on many many people around here. And it will be weird for everyone around here to think about what there lives were like on 8/28/05, and compare that to now, almost a year later.

As someone who actually went through it, it's weird how long ago it seems that day and the following events were. It feels like it was just yesterday I was sitting there watching CNN reporting live from Covington, and then my power went out. I wouldn't have my power back on until 30 days later. But anyway, everything that happened, from the storm passing, the levee's in New Orleans being breached, and me later having to go live with friends in Baton Rouge, seems like it was just yesterday, but then again it feels like it was ages ago. I really don't know how to explain it.

And about the one year anniversary of Katrina, it's going to be extremely stressful and hard for many people down here. When people around this area hear "August 29" it's similar to what people around the nation think when they here "September 11." Very sad and tragic thoughts that are tough on many many people around here. And it will be weird for everyone around here to think about what there lives were like on 8/28/05, and compare that to now, almost a year later.

My thoughts are with you guys down there :)

Edited by TBurban

True...there's a lot of stigma around "August 29." Hard to believe its been almost a year. Everybody has a Katrina story, most of them are not pleasant to retell, but looking back on it, I thought I might share a couple stories that aren't so bad.

--September 2, 2005: Baton Rouge hotels were at 100% occupancy. A desperate but very attractive reporter from the Miami Herald walked up to my fraternity house with 50 bucks cash and asked if she could stay the night. We said yes.

--September 5, 2005: I would have been in class, but the hurricane caused LSU to cancel school for 10 or so days. So instead I was playing football on the parade grounds and ended up breaking my wrist in 3 places. Thanks to Katrina I have a 3 inch titanium plate in my wrist connected to my bone with 6 metal screws.

There's gotta be a thousand stories like these out there...

^It seems like Katrina gave you some memories that will be with you forever as well. It's interesting how much a storm like that can affect you, even while the storm itself isn't greatly affecting you.

Oh, and there's no doubt there are millions of stories like that. It's always interesting for me to here other people's Katrina-related stories as well.

That's just why it's so weird for me. When I only think about the events that happened during and following Katrina, it seems like it was seriously just yesterday. But when I think about Katrina, and then everything that has happened since then, from the entire NFL and NBA season's being completed, to trips I've taken, etc. it feels like it was even longer than a year ago. :dontknow:

That's just why it's so weird for me. When I only think about the events that happened during and following Katrina, it seems like it was seriously just yesterday. But when I think about Katrina, and then everything that has happened since then, from the entire NFL and NBA season's being completed, to trips I've taken, etc. it feels like it was even longer than a year ago. :dontknow:

:lol: Very true. Sometimes it takes thinking about certain events to make one realize how much time has actually passed. However in retrospect, it still feels like it just hasn't been as long as it really has. it's just like September 11. I remember on the third anniversary of that attack, I couldn't believe 3 years had passed. And now we're coming up on 5 years!?!?!? Unbelievable!

:lol: Very true. Sometimes it takes thinking about certain events to make one realize how much time has actually passed. However in retrospect, it still feels like it just hasn't been as long as it really has. it's just like September 11. I remember on the third anniversary of that attack, I couldn't believe 3 years had passed. And now we're coming up on 5 years!?!?!? Unbelievable!

Yea, it's the same way for 9/11 with me too. I remember hearing about it first in the morning, and at the time from everything I heard it seemed like a plane had just crashed somewhere in the state of New York. Of course, only a few minutes later I found out about the true horror taking place in NYC.

^Wow Richy, that's really something. All I have to remember Katrina from my personal collection is a cell phone picture of my parent's property here in Covington, covered with trees, branches, leaves, and all other kinds of natural debris. That's where I stayed when Katrina came through, before heading up to eastern Baton Rouge for 2 1/2 weeks.

Thanks yall. That was taken from my front door. That was strong line of storms that lasted for about 15-20 minutes(40 mph wind gust ?). The anticipation was intense ! We were fortunate to be on the western side during Katrina. Wind gust had to be(only) at least 55-60 mph the next day. I heard 72 mph around WBRZ,channel 2 . It's really hard to say.

Edited by richyb83

Thanks yall. That was taken from my front door. That was strong line of storms that lasted for about 15-20 minutes(40 mph wind gust ?). The anticipation was intense ! We were fortunate to be on the western side during Katrina. Wind gust had to be(only) at least 55-60 mph the next day. I heard 72 mph around WBRZ,channel 2 . It's really hard to say.

The CNN reporter was reporting gusts of up to 170+mph when Katrina was rolling into Covington, but that was about 30 seconds before my power went out, and I didn't hear anything after that.

Incredible Nate ! WOW, 170 MPH wind gust, what did that feel like ? The end of the world ?

It sounded like a jet airplane was flying back and forth around the house. And the wistling from the wind when it gets that fast is extremely eerie.

I can imagine. Wow. Like Richy said... the end of the world. I can only imagine living through that.

And I had it easy. Imagine what it was like for the people in extreme SE Louisiana on the coast, getting the storm at its full strength with wind gusts way over 200mph, and very quickly rising storm surge and waves. And all of that was happening at night. :o