210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I'm still having trouble with the AT&T billboard. I don't take issue with the physical advertisement, but why put it there on College? It can't be read from most any vantage point. It seems to me that the billboard and Jumbotron locations should be switched. If the Jumbotron were placed at the opposite angle of its current location on the spot of the AT&T sign, it could be easily seen and read from The Square.

I've played around with that one. The only place you can see the entire sign from ground level is on the sidewalk about 50 feet south from the intersection at Trade St. I suspect their main target audience might be employees on the east side of the 10th floor of Bank of America Plaza though.

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this but I was driving down college sunday afternoon and had to be detoured due to the fact they were extending the walkway accross college and finally connecting it to epicenter. On the webcam, it looks like they are currently doing additional work to the walkway. Am I right in my understanding that it will be an outdoor walkway?

Edited by 83alphaunder

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this but I was driving down college sunday afternoon and had to be detoured due to the fact they were extending the walkway accross college and finally connecting it to epicenter. On the webcam, it looks like they are currently doing additional work to the walkway. Am I right in my understanding that it will be an outdoor walkway?
The only renderings that I have seen have shown a covered walkway. The walkway to the old convention center had not been used in about 15 years ...maybe it was time for an update of the look.

Here is the old rendering that shows the outdoor walkway (from the Ghazi website):

future_epicentre_large.jpg

Newer rendering doesn't really give any clues about what the walkway will look like:

future_epicentre_complex_large.jpg

That was announced a very very long time ago. They opted for an outdoor walking to acclimate people to their outdoor project before they are actually in their project, but also presumably to save money while updating it from that awful looking design it had before. They gutted it down to the steel.

Despite the look in the Risden drawing, it is definitely going to be an outdoor walkway from everything else we have heard so far.

I appologize in advance if the following information is old news but last I heard it was still a cloud.

Officially: the movie theater that will be opening at the EpiCentre will be the Muvico brand?. I got confirmation from a reliable source and noticed their website backs it up on their listings of locations "Charlotte, NC (Opening 2008)". Excited about this brand coming to the EpiCentre- they look to differentiate themselves from others enough at the same time providing a great experience for watching a movie. I predict this movie theater is going to be always packed, as it is a relatively small theater coming to a movie-theaterless uptown where this type of entertainment is in high demand.

I appologize in advance if the following information is old news but last I heard it was still a cloud.

Officially: the movie theater that will be opening at the EpiCentre will be the Muvico brand?. I got confirmation from a reliable source and noticed their website backs it up on their listings of locations "Charlotte, NC (Opening 2008)". Excited about this brand coming to the EpiCentre- they look to differentiate themselves from others enough at the same time providing a great experience for watching a movie. I predict this movie theater is going to be always packed, as it is a relatively small theater coming to a movie-theaterless uptown where this type of entertainment is in high demand.

I'll be there about once a week.

sounds like it will be utilized for much more than your typical movie theatre... (Taken from their website)

"Sony will also be providing Muvico with alternative content programming to its theaters including but not limiting to, sporting events, concerts, and other live events. The Company believes that having theaters in all of the large DMA markets in the country that are equipped with restaurant and bars will allow for ancillary revenue opportunities in the future for alternative content programming, advertising, and sponsorship revenue."

EXCELLENT.

All their website says is "Opening 2008."

A few things from their website I don't think have been mentioned:

• full service bar in addition to the restaurant items inside of the theatre
  • moviegoers spend an average of 4.5 hours at the venue
  • 1,000-6,000 square feet of retail (depending on size of the venue) in addition to the theatres

Edited by Raintree21

What's great is that it can draw people all along South Blvd. in addition to downtown residents thanks to the LRT. I think that will help tremendously with the success of the theatre and entertainment complex as a whole.

I think it will draw people from all of the close in neighborhoods. I lived in Dilworth for years and the closest theater was Park Terrace. This will be just as close and if I still lived there it would be where I'd go see movies (especially with the food and drink options). It will also be the closest theater (not counting Manor -- small and specialized) to Elizabeth, Wesley Heights, Wilmore, Myers Park, etc.