210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

There is nothing that gives me confidence that the tower portion of this project will ever be built. The EpiCenter will and is being built anyone can see that. But the tower is a whole other mystery unto itself.

I would be more optimistic that the Vue might be completed before 210 Trade, "if" either of them are built.

Not trying to be pesimistic, but I'm that cynical. I hope it does get built tho, just expect for those hopes to be dashed.

Do you have some information on this that has yet to be posted here?

Just the visual of seeing construction crews, concrete being poured, and site work all over the place. I suspect if there were going to nix parts or all of this project they would quit spending that money on this progress.

The 210 folks are still fully marketing the project as well. I have no insider info and know nothing more, just that I have rarely seen something moving along that stopped forever (other than The Park but they are now seemingly moving forward, albiet at a snails pace). Even the Pink Building halted for quite a while (can't remember how long) but was finally finished.

Edited by Charlotte_native

Just the visual of seeing construction crews, concrete being poured, and site work all over the place. I suspect if there were going to nix parts or all of this project they would quit spending that money on this progress.

The 210 folks are still fully marketing the project as well. I have no insider info and know nothing more, just that I have rarely seen something moving along that stopped forever (other than The Park but they are now seemingly moving forward, albiet at a snails pace). Even the Pink Building halted for quite a while (can't remember how long) but was finally finished.

I think the retail part will finish just because the most expensive work is probably already finished and the remainder (using a forward-looking going concern value) is more than supported by potential retail revenue. Decisions are made as to what makes sense on future capital and return because you can't get back what you've already spent.

You're not learning your sunk cost lesson very well cltheel ;). Go ask Dr. Benevie (or whoever you actually have) for more help. The idea of sunk costs is that they are already spent and are not recoverable. They should never factor in decision making. Decision making should be based on future variable costs.

That is, sunk costs are not part rational decision making, it doesn't mean that people don't end up factoring them it. But they shouldn't, theoretically.

Mr. Ghazi could look at this project and determine he will lose MORE money by continuing, then the project could be cancelled.

You're not learning your sunk cost lesson very well cltheel ;). Go ask Dr. Benevie (or whoever you actually have) for more help. The idea of sunk costs is that they are already spent and are not recoverable. They should never factor in decision making. Decision making should be based on future variable costs.

That is, sunk costs are not part rational decision making, it doesn't mean that people don't end up factoring them it. But they shouldn't, theoretically.

Mr. Ghazi could look at this project and determine he will lose MORE money by continuing, then the project could be cancelled.

Right, but either conclusion could be supported depending upon the circumstances, but if the original project appeared to be supported by rental rates, then with half the job done already (or half the expense paid) it would still make more sense to finish even if they're only sure of renting half of it out. And, I bet they're well past half completed on the expense side. Implosion, cleanup and foundation work have to be pretty darn expensive and they've also poured a few levels. There's only a few more levels on the retail side - I would guess the equivalent expense of putting something in the burbs - and it will bring in top-drawer retail rates.

Think of it this way, if someone offered the project as is to you for one dollar out of bankruptcy, would you buy it? My guess is that you'd jump on the deal and get financing quite easily with the assurance that the remaining costs would be well-supported by the leases.

Well, lets say they keep building but determine the economics of it will not work at 50 stories. Couldn't we potentially see a reduction in scale for the building to save cost... i.e. 25 story instead of 50? or wouldn't it make enough difference in the cost since it is the demo and foundation work that is so expensive?

Well, lets say they keep building but determine the economics of it will not work at 50 stories. Couldn't we potentially see a reduction in scale for the building to save cost... i.e. 25 story instead of 50? or wouldn't it make enough difference in the cost since it is the demo and foundation work that is so expensive?

I think that is what happened w/ The Pink Building. Wasn't it originally going to be higher but was reduced.

I noticed that too Neo, seems that even though they are making little progress on the tower portion, at least they are making some. I know the bottom five floors of TTT are part of Epicentre, so it's really impossible to determine at this point whether or not this will get built. Seems they only have one section of the parking deck left to do (bottom right,) the ground floor is being built up slowly but surely. Anybody have any street level pics since they started building this new level?

I think that is what happened w/ The Pink Building. Wasn't it originally going to be higher but was reduced.

I'm almost positive that was a compromise with the Dilworth neighborhood whose collective heads were about to explode at the thought of such a tall high rise being in SouthEnd. I think they (developer) shortened the building to quiet the noise...and then chose "desert pink" glass to give the community the finger.

The building was shortened from 40 stories or so. I think the real reason he didn't build at that height is he discovered there wasn't enough demand for it. Given they still have unsold units in the Arlington that was probably a good move on his part. The Dilworth HOA complained about the shorter building too. They complain about everything, so this isn't unusual.

Edit: Ahh I found the original rendering for it. Notice that it was in technicolors too.

org_arlington.jpg

The building was shortened from 40 stories or so. I think the real reason he didn't build at that height is he discovered there wasn't enough demand for it. Given they still have unsold units in the Arlington that was probably a good move on his part. The Dilworth HOA complained about the shorter building too. They complain about everything, so this isn't unusual.

Edit: Ahh I found the original rendering for it. Notice that it was in technicolors too.

org_arlington.jpg

Though I don't have a problem w/ the Pink Building, this would have been amazing!