210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I think that by the time the 2 year anniversary for the announement of the condo tower rolls around on Janurary, 2007 that we might actually have a "groundbreaking" date for it. According to the sales office they have sold 80% of the building, they have a general contracter selected, and they have already made the expensive step of submiting construction drawings to the Mecklenburg Permits office. Ghazi has built the foundation for the condo tower and I think we will start to see it rise up higher in the coming months.

Edited by uptownliving

i was thinking they might be using steel frame construction for the retail buildings. it would make sense and speed up the retail opening.

Using steel frame construction over PT concrete would not speed up the opening very much if at all really. True, the actual frame goes up quicker, but there is a lot of work that has to be done after the frame is up before you can move in, including pouring concrete for the floor system. Also, when steel framing is used, shear studs are typically field welded to the beams prior to pouring the concrete, which is a huge time consumer because most beams would have 20-40 studs each.

The building permit for the 210 Condo Tower has now been approved. This project continues to move forward.

This permit is just for the 44 story building structure which is estimated to cost $20M. It cost them $43K just to have Mecklenburg County review their drawings and issue them a permit. That gives you an idea of just how expensive something like this is. The contractor on the permit is listed as Dunn Southeast.

Reminder...this 44 story structure will be built on TOP of the Epicentre building Ghazi is developing. So its total height in stories will be 50+

Edited by uptownliving

Cobblestone is very interesting..

I also find it interesting that no 2 bedrooms have sold ? I think Avenue still has 2 bedrooms as well. The 1 bedroom condo seems like the best type of development to appeal to the demographic looking at living in Uptown

The cobblestone and gas lanterns don't surprise me...Ghazi has done that at his other projects.

What doesn't sound right to me is that no 2 bedroom units have sold. She must have misunderstood or misstated that. Just look at the floor plans on the 210 Trade website...most of the units are 2 bedrooms. It not possible for the project to be 80% sold and not have sold any 2 bedroom units.

She's not saying the 2-bedrooms haven't sold, she's saying that every 2-bedroom floor plan is still available, meaning you can get the floor plan you want on one of the floors somewhere in the tower.

Suddenly the veil of confusion has been lifted. Thanks for clarification aussie luke. I knew there was something off about that.

A2

Ghazi did always imply that this central alley would be very European. I guess European is translated to cobblestones and gaslights.

I guess there is a certain charm to that, even in a contrived development.

Somehow I am thinking this isn't going to be Prague or Budapest. :lol: There is a entertainment-mall in Tokyo that attempts to mimic an Italian village that does very well at attracting people. Maybe they will have some success with this idea here too.

:) Yeah, I definitely think it is contrived. But still, on a brand new quasi-mall in a city that has ripped out all of its history, cobblestones and gaslights are still more charming than concrete tiles and buzzing sodium lights.

Also, on the theater, I just skimmed the blog entry and didn't notice the theater part. That actually is very good news. I remember back to the original plans of Millenium Square, and the theater was THE reason to be happy for this project.

I suppose it would still be up to hollywood to make movies worth paying for, but in the 5-6 years I have lived in uptown Charlotte, I have been completely disinterested in going to a movie. I think I've been to a movie theater 6 times in as many years, and half of those times, it was when I was in other cities visiting.

I've been to the movie theater maybe 6 times in the past year. It has been for movies that I either wanted to see right when they came out or were going to be that much better on a theater screen rather than my 19" TV later that year. BUT part of that is convenience and I am somewhat admittedly lazy and don't care to head way far out from Dilworth just to see a movie. Since I'll be living downtown soon I think I would be the demographic that will go to the theater much more often because it is convenient -- on a day with nothing much to do or with lots of rain, I think walking just a couple blocks and being able to get a glass of wine or beer there will up my annual movie theater experiences quite a bit even for movies I otherwise would not make the effort for.

Edited by Charlotte_native

Even though they seem to be building the theater, all the rumors and past info is that it won't be a national operator. I hope that means it will end up with a different vibe, unique mixes of movies and concessions. If it is an independent local operator, we can expect much more than standard mixes of movies and crappy popcorn drenched in oil.

Is there anything to suggest there will be a theatre in these plans other than comments from an Observer blogger?

This Article, which we have touched on before, would seem to suggest it will be really difficult for a 8 screen movie house to work in such high priced crib. Theatres are being closed in this county now because there are too many of them.