Bicycle Factory Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done...

Main Entry

bikefactorynemainentrync6.jpg

Changes here are fairly minor with exception of the west wing of the building were I had more opportunity to do more exposed steel thanks to a large gap in found in the actual ruins along the Butterworth St. frontage. The revisions south wing (left on image) helps breakup the long mass of the section of the building. Like on the Butterworth St. frontage, a large gap about a third of the way down the building provided opportunity to do more exposed steel. The result is a much more lively front facade.

The Back

bikefactoryatriumgardenff8.jpg

I was really delighted to see a three story fragment of the ruins still intact and in a spot that could not have been more perfect because adding this fragment to my model, the courtyard instantly became much more dramatic.

Streetscape

bikefactorystreetscapevq0.jpg

Again showing the minor revisions made to this side of the building. Also notice the three story ruin fragment in the court yard peeking above the roof line.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode over to reconnoiter this evening. There's rent-a-fencing on all sides, and now two dumpster-shaped objects filled with bricks and charred timbers. MaryAnn took the weekend off.

The brick looks remarkably clean; guess the pressure-wash helped remove a few years of grime.

• 2 weeks later...
Are they just going to toss this stuff into a landfill somewhere? I'd seriously go down there and load up a hundred or two of them for landscaping around the house if so...no reason to toss it away!

Anyone affiliated with the project (or just in general) know if that's okay or not?

Nice find Rhino! Can't wait to find out who this tenant might be.

The one thing that would really help tie that area together is somehow moving or consolidating that sea of surface lots that separates the Bicycle Factory from Fulton.

You beat me to it. Should be interesting. I'm not going to speculate but I am excited by the possibilities.

Joe

Wood TV Article

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about this on here. They're saying "A Grand Rapids-based "name brand" may step in and help save the project; perhaps the cornerstone to a rebirth on the southwest end of town"

Hmmm...

Archived